Status
Not open for further replies.

Christopher Robin

Puritan Board Freshman
Don't toss that old computer away just yet! Linux Lite can breathe new life into older machines that won't run Windows® 10 or 11. And not only that, Linux Lite is awesome for new computers users as well as new Linux users. Point-and-click simplicity!

Find the Release Announcement HERE.

Would you say this is a better version of Linux than Mint? That is what I have been using on my old computers.

Would you say this is a better version of Linux than Mint? That is what I have been using on my old computers.
Mint is less lightweight from what I can tell. Linux Lite and Lubuntu require far less in terms of resources and I think it's even possible to run them on a gig of RAM or less. On the flip side they're less full-featured. So it's a matter of what you want. If you have decade+ old hardware Mint probably isn't your best bet.

Linux Lite is much lighter (that is, easier on RAM and CPU) than even the lightest flavor of Linux Mint. And in my opinion, even more "newbie friendly" because of little things like renaming applications based on what they do. For example the file manager is called "File Manager" instead of "Thunar" or "Nemo" as in Linux Mint (and ZorinOS and the other "beginner friendly" Linux distributions).

And no, it's not Arch Linux (cutting-edge, newest and shiniest). It aims for stability and usability rather than bling and it's complications.

Linux Lite has a minimum requirement of:
768 MB RAM (1 GB preferred)
8 GB storage (20 GB preferred)

Linux Mint Xfce (lightest edition) requires:
2 GB RAM (4 GB preferred)
20 GB storage (100 GB preferred)

I do like Linux Mint, though!

Linux Lite has a minimum requirement of:
768 MB RAM (1 GB preferred)
8 GB storage (20 GB preferred)

Linux Mint Xfce (lightest edition) requires:
2 GB RAM (4 GB preferred)
20 GB storage (100 GB preferred)

I do like Linux Mint, though!
Wow that is a bit of a difference. I will load it onto my clunker and give it a go

I didn't realize there were so many linux users here haha. This makes me quite happy. I am 100% linux for work and personal (yes my wife also uses linux :)). Thanks for the tip on linux lite 5.6.

I installed Linux Mint on 3 machines in the last couple of weeks. Wasn't aware of this one.

Any usability drawbacks compared to Mint?

I installed Linux Mint on 3 machines in the last couple of weeks. Wasn't aware of this one.

Really only as mentioned above on the system requirements. If you have the juice to run Mint, it is a more feature complete package. Linux Lite is going to be a better option for potatoes it sounds like. I just checked my clunker and apparently it has 16GB of RAM, so I will likely stick with Mint for now.

I did check out Lite though, and it is pretty similar. It seems pretty good overall. It will work just as well if you are looking for an internet browser, e-reader, and something for other basic stuff.

I tried last night but couldn't get it to download on the old laptop. Less friendly interface than I remember from when I downloaded Puppy a decade or so ago. I'll try again over the weekend

@Edward, Lubuntu is a little more novice-friendly than Linux Lite, and just as lightweight in its system requirements.

Linux Lite is much lighter (that is, easier on RAM and CPU) than even the lightest flavor of Linux Mint. And in my opinion, even more "newbie friendly" because of little things like renaming applications based on what they do. For example the file manager is called "File Manager" instead of "Thunar" or "Nemo" as in Linux Mint (and ZorinOS and the other "beginner friendly" Linux distributions).

And no, it's not Arch Linux (cutting-edge, newest and shiniest). It aims for stability and usability rather than bling and it's complications.
Respectfully, Arch isn't about bling first and foremost. Customization is its focus. Case in point: I have made some very potato-friendly minimalist setups that make Puppy look bloated. As for complications though...

Linux Lite lacks one utility that Mint offers, but "mintstick" (the USB drive formatter and .iso writer) is easily added to Linux Lite (I just "stole" my copy from Mint's repository and installed it on Linux Lite). But I give Linux Lite the edge for simplicity, for Lite Tweaks (see the link to the release announcement), for renaming applications according to their function, for the highly modified Xfce desktop, and for being easy on older older hardware.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of running LINUX on an older machine? If your computer can't run Windows how could it run it on a virtual machine?
There are uses for running Linux on a virtual machine (although most users run Windows in a VM on a Linux computer, which I think is what Irenaeus was suggesting.

All that said, I managed to get all my college coursework done using LibreOffice on Linux instead of using any Microsoft stuff at all. Even when a couple of my professors insisted on "Microsoft format" as they called it.The LibreOffice suite has come a lonnnnnng way! Today it's a drop-in replacement for Microsoft Office for a lot of us. But there are yet more office suites available to Linux users.

Really the only reason to run Windows virtually these days is for some very specific software that only runs on Windows. But even gaming on Linux is getting easier and easier.

I tried last night but couldn't get it to download on the old laptop. Less friendly interface than I remember from when I downloaded Puppy a decade or so ago. I'll try again over the weekend
Got it downloaded. Now I just need to burn it. I have my boot sequences set up to run it from the DVD.

Really the only reason to run Windows virtually these days is for some very specific software that only runs on Windows. But even gaming on Linux is getting easier and easier.
The Steam platform makes it very easy to find out which games run on Linux or not. I would say around 50% of my existing library works on Linux (a library which has been building since 2004 when the platform first came out).

Most of my family's computers are running Debian Linux mostly because I'm a big fan of rolling releases (Gentoo hooked me on rolling releases but I tired of configuring kernels). I wish I could run Linux on my work computer but I'm stuck.

@RobertPGH1981 I've used LibreOffice quite successfully though I'm now testing OnlyOffice as it has a much cleaner UI and claims better MS Office compatibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back