Listening to Sermons Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zach

Puritan Board Senior
I have what may be a silly question about listening to sermons online. Is it negligent and does it not hold the word of God preached in high esteem to listen to sermons while doing some other task? For example, I am doing some work transcribing a document and the work is pretty mindless. I type into one screen what I see on the other. Listening to something of intellectual substance actually helps me focus more on the work at hand. I have been listening to Speaker Panels at Conferences (I listened to a good one one Prayer from the Desiring God 2011 Pastors Conference) but there are some Sermon Audio sermons that I have been meaning to listen to but I don't want to be casual about the word of God preached, even if it is simply a recording. What say you, brethren, about listening to a Sermon while doing other work?

Thanks for your help,

Hey brother,

I've thought about that question myself. I havn't come up with a solid response but I do have some scattered thoughts.

First, the main sermon in our lives must be the one given by our local pastor in our local church. Not because he is there in person, but because the sermon is tailored to the needs of the local manifestation of the body Christ in which we have sworn commitment.

Second, not all sermons are very serious and some preachers preach to reach the heart, others are more intellectual. For me jogging while listening to John Piper works because of his passion, while I feel I need to sit in front of my computer to take notes while I listen to John MacArthur. Each preacher has a different personality and thus how we listen to them seems to change relative to the person and the topic.

Third, I understand MLJ's argument about the importance of preaching, but I think we err when we put too much emphasis on preaching. Preaching is tied to the Word of God, the Bible. Thus to more we can hear and learn about the Scriptures how much better it is for our souls! Once a week is not enough to eat. Our Lord wants us to eat our daily bread. Sunday is the "Market day for the soul" meaning we get the materials we need for the week. It is the day to relax with others and to prepare for the war that we face every day against sin, flesh, and the devil.

I suppose I see listening to sermons outside of the Lord's day as a good use of time and a way to learn, and yes even some entertainment value. I don't see anything wrong in that. Listening to Joel Beeke for fun is a lot better than much stuff out there. and hopefully God will bless it to my holiness.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Joseph G.
Québec, QC

I often listen to sermons/teachings/conferences while doing other tasks. My favorite is to listen while doing chores. I can still tell you of specific messages I heard while doing certain tasks from years ago! So no, I don't see a problem with it. In fact, it might be argued it's good stewardship of your time because you are seeking to be edified while working at something else.

LIstening to a sermon online is not public worship. It is not family worship.

I would classify it under 'meditating on the law day and night'. I would say it is an aid in doing so and thus just like we ought to pray unceasingly. Praying unceasingly we ought to be praying while we grocery shop, meditating on the Word would be similar I'd say.

Thanks for your helpful responses everyone. This pretty much clears it up for me. I was leaning this way, but just wanted to get some outside input.

I have a "pillow speaker" and often fall asleep listening to sermons. I just rewind and catch what I missed.

I could of course go all charismatic and say that I am taking the word of God in subliminally - but I won't. In the car I have a USB stick that is recognised by the car stereo and I can load sermons that way.

I listen to sermons while at work, generally my pastor (Richard Caldwell) and the last sermon he taught. I also listen to Sproul or Begg. Listening to sermons help keep me focused on my goal and I have even had the opportunity to sow seeds to customers.

LIstening to a sermon online is not public worship. It is not family worship.

I would classify it under 'meditating on the law day and night'. I would say it is an aid in doing so and thus just like we ought to pray unceasingly. Praying unceasingly we ought to be praying while we grocery shop, meditating on the Word would be similar I'd say.

Well said. Listening to recorded sermons is a great way to bring the Word into all your life. I do it while exercising and driving.

The command to talk about the things of God while you sit in your house, walk by the way, lie down and rise shows that although we treat the Word with great respect we are also to incorporate it into everyday life. This honors the Word rather than dishonoring it.

Zach, if it were just background noise to you I think you might be rightly concerned, but it sounds like you're treating it as substantive and and meaningful even though you're multi-tasking.

I am an avid sermon-listener-to-er. I drive a lot at work (1.5 - 3 hrs a day). I use the drive time for listening to the audio bible, sermons, Westminster Catechism, and the Westminster Confession; along with a number of other podcasts and audio books. I have learned a great deal. My drive time at work has turned into a goldmine. I cannot tell you the worth of what has been given to me.

I would like to give a word of caution, however. Be careful. I am very cautious about whose sermons I listen to. Of course, this cautious attitude came after years of listening to whomever; becoming more narrow as my understanding developed.

Another admonition I would give would be that one sanctify all the listening with prayer and thanksgiving to God because knowledge is very likely to puff one up.

FOR ALL THE iPOD OWNERS.

I recommend the sermon audio app and a quick "Still Water Revival" search to get your Puritan on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back