What are you listening to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've spent the rainy afternoon fireside, listening to Goerne sing Schubert. Add a slowly roasting bit of beef in the oven, a dear hubby soon to be home, and it's a bit of bliss. God is so good to his children.

Was listening to Brian Borgman (Introduction to Reformed Theology) and Voddie Baucham (Series on Sermon Audio regarding Revelation). Then my wife needed the USB stick, so I have to download them again.

I have been listening to sermons by Gavin Beers, particularly regarding baptism. Almost he persuadeth me to become presbyterian.

I know this isn’t the intended matter, but I enjoy Celtic/Irish music while I’m at work. A good reel makes the heart glad. That is spiritual use of the ears in its own proper place.

My most recent listening on spiritual matter has been review of sermons preached in my congregation, Messiah the Prince on audio book, and Robert Godfrey on medieval church history for Sabbath school.

Last edited:
I'd never really heard of the album, but I gave it a listen and it's really good! Reminds me a bit of the Beatles.
It's funny you mention that. When Rubber Soul came out in late 1965, Brian Wilson of The Beach Boys was blown away by it. It motivated him to make Pet Sounds in 1966 as well as the single Good Vibrations shortly after Pet Sounds came out.

Paul McCartney said Pet Sounds is his favorite album and that God Only Knows is his favorite song. Pet Sounds and its influence is directly responsible for McCartney and the rest of The Beatles putting out Revolver, Sgt. Peppers, etc. Their sound shifted after Pet Sounds (and doing copious amounts of drugs).

The friendly, creative rivalry between the two groups resulted in us winning. :)

I've just heard music by two composers who are new to me: Mauro Giuliani (1781-1829) and Rued Langgaard (1893-1952). Italian and Norwegian, respectively.

I listen to a podcast ran by confessional Anglican pastors.

Thanks for posting this. I just skimmed the list of episodes and clicked on a few here and there to read the descriptions.

If you don't mind the questions, how did you discover this particular podcast and do you feel yourself drawn to traditional Anglicanism?

Greetings beloved of the Lord,

Where have I been? I have been pretty sick. Too sick to participate on the board, but I think I am getting better.

I have been listening to the Logos audiobook version of Edwards' Religious Affections. When I first read it about 5 years ago it was one of the most haunting books I ever read. It scared me. This time around I am doing much better and can identify with most of the signs he gives of true faith. For this I thank and praise the Lord alone.

I recommend everyone read it at least once.

Greetings beloved of the Lord,

Where have I been? I have been pretty sick. Too sick to participate on the board, but I think I am getting better.

I have been listening to the Logos audiobook version of Edwards' Religious Affections. When I first read it about 5 years ago it was one of the most haunting books I ever read. It scared me. This time around I am doing much better and can identify with most of the signs he gives of true faith. For this I thank and praise the Lord alone.

I recommend everyone read it at least once.
Ed, diagnosis? Sorry to hear you’ve been sick and glad you’re getting better.

Thanks for posting this. I just skimmed the list of episodes and clicked on a few here and there to read the descriptions.

If you don't mind the questions, how did you discover this particular podcast and do you feel yourself drawn to traditional Anglicanism?

I do not mind the questions.

I probably picked it up from this post https://www.puritanboard.com/threads/the-book-of-common-prayer.98861/page-2#post-1209182.

I do not have a particular affinity for Anglicanism. I listen to various Christian podcasts and appreciate the conservative streams that follow a Reformation confession (Lutheran's Concord, Anglican's 39 articles). There is some overlap with Reformed, even when I have to roll my eyes when they mischaracterize what reformed believe. There is more similarities there then with the "broad Evangelical" churches.

Ed, diagnosis? Sorry to hear you’ve been sick and glad you’re getting better.

Just some variety of a virus, I assume. I didn't go to the doctor, as is my custom, unless I suspect something bacteria related. I just stayed home and rested. A little painful at times, but as I said, I am getting better. Not better enough to go to church tomorrow. I don't think it's wise since I have no idea what I have.

Thanks for asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back