What are you reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Robert Letham's Systematic Theology

John Calvin's Commentary on Acts (volume 2)

Hugh Martin's Christ Victorious

William Cunningham's Theological Lectures

Samuel Rutherford's A Survey of the Spiritual Antichrist

John Colquhoun's A Treatise of the Covenant of Grace

I am also about to start reading volume 1 of Matthew Henry's works. God-willing, I will start reading a history book this evening.

How are you liking Letham? I finished it awhile back.

How are you liking Letham? I finished it awhile back.

I am starting to like it more after getting past the first chapter (I am about 125 pages into it). The main problem is that he does not begin with the unity and simplicity of God, but with the Trinity. He is also a presuppositionalist, which went down like a lead balloon with an ardent classical apologetics man like me. Still, I think that I will like it more as I make greater progress.

I'm the type of reader that has bookmarks hanging out of a dozen books. Here are the ones that I'm most often reading from lately.

The Theocratic Kingdom (Vol 1) - George N.H. Peters
The Mission of God - Joseph Boot
1689 Baptist Confession of Faith: A Modern Exposition - Sam Waldron
The Institutes of Biblical Law (Vol 1) - R.J. Rushdoony
Christianity and the State - R.J. Rushdoony
The End of Protestantism - Peter Leithart

I've been reading Ned B. Stonehouse's J. Gresham Machen, A Biographical Memoir. This is while I've taken a break from the two-volume biography of Dr Lloyd-Jones by Iain Murray. It's interesting to read of what happened on the other side of the Atlantic before and during the evangelical resurgence here in the UK.

I'm also reading Holiness by Bishop Ryle, and it's quite convicting stuff.

Nick Needham's 2000 Years of Christ's Power, Vol 1

Sinclair Ferguson's To Seek and to Save (a chapter a day with my wife!)

I'm the type of reader that has bookmarks hanging out of a dozen books. Here are the ones that I'm most often reading from lately.

The Theocratic Kingdom (Vol 1) - George N.H. Peters
The Mission of God - Joseph Boot
1689 Baptist Confession of Faith: A Modern Exposition - Sam Waldron
The Institutes of Biblical Law (Vol 1) - R.J. Rushdoony
Christianity and the State - R.J. Rushdoony
The End of Protestantism - Peter Leithart
How are you liking Waldron's book on the 1689? It's on my list of books to purchase and read soon.

How are you liking Waldron's book on the 1689? It's on my list of books to purchase and read soon.

It's fantastic. An absolutely essential volume for the Baptist's bookshelf. I would move it to the front of the line on your list.

You ARE Robinson Crusoe.

That novel had a PROFOUND effect on me as an 18-year old agnostic. He discovered a bible on his beach, and he led me to read the Word as well. It is an understatement to say that I love that novel. I count it as dear to the saving of my soul.

I am listening to Don Quixote on audiobook. And then going to listen to Robinson Crusoe again.

p.s. Don Quixote is sort of a critique on reading too much. He read so much it "dried out his brain" and this made him go on his adventures once reason left him.

Stephen won't like that.

That novel had a PROFOUND effect on me as an 18-year old agnostic. He discovered a bible on his beach, and he led me to read the Word as well. It is an understatement to say that I love that novel. I count it as dear to the saving of my soul.

We are all glad of that, for if you had read Treasure Island instead, you would be one scary pirate!

I've been reading Ned B. Stonehouse's J. Gresham Machen, A Biographical Memoir. This is while I've taken a break from the two-volume biography of Dr Lloyd-Jones by Iain Murray. It's interesting to read of what happened on the other side of the Atlantic before and during the evangelical resurgence here in the UK.

I'm also reading Holiness by Bishop Ryle, and it's quite convicting stuff.
Holiness by Ryle really woke me up in my Christian walk!

Slowly reading through Boston's View of the Covenant of Grace. The more I read Boston the more I love him, and the more I read this volume the higher it climbs on my list of best works on the covenants.

We are all glad of that, for if you had read Treasure Island instead, you would be one scary pirate!

I did read Conan for awhile and answered the first question of the catechism once with, What is best in life?"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!"

I'm also reading Darwin Devolves by Michael Behe. It's very good. I used to be less inclined to agree with the intelligent design crowd, but over the past few years I've come to really appreciate many of their lines of argumentation.

I'm also reading Darwin Devolves by Michael Behe. It's very good. I used to be less inclined to agree with the intelligent design crowd, but over the past few years I've come to really appreciate many of their lines of argumentation.

Isn't he the guy who wrote Darwin's Black Box? How is this book related?

A much less intense list for me:

I *just* finished a middle grade book called Wild Wings by Gill Lewis (It was short, cute, sad).

Reading through an entire Physics prep textbook to prepare for a teaching content exam.

And also husband and I are reading through the recent RPCNA history together.

Holy Scripture (now mostly the Prophets, Pauline Epistles and Johannine Corpus)

Irenaus's - Against Heresies
Athanasius's - On the Incarnation
Gregory of Nyssa's - Against Eunomius
Augustine's works
Anselm's - On the Freedom of the Will
Aquinas's Summa Theologiae
Gregory Palamas's Triads
Some of Luther's works
Trying to get to Turretin again

Plato's works
Aristotle's works
Descartes's Meditations again
Trying to get to Kant and Heidegger

Isn't he the guy who wrote Darwin's Black Box? How is this book related?
Yep - same author. In the time since Darwin's Black Box was written, revolutionary technologies have been developed that have allowed a higher volume of molecular data related to evolutionary theories to be generated, as well as higher accuracy of those data. These new data allow Behe to significantly extend his critique of Evolutionary theory. A few new Evolutionary theories have also been developed during this time to deal with these findings, and Darwin Devolves takes aim at these too. He also answers some of his more prominent critics in this new book. I'm only half way through, but I think that his most important contribution in the book is to provide compelling evidence that evolutionary mechanisms (mutation and natural selection) can lead to the development of new animal forms at the level of genius and species, but not at the level of family and above. This is something that I and many of my colleagues have often discussed - Behe does a convincing job of working this out.

compelling evidence that evolutionary mechanisms (mutation and natural selection) can lead to the development of new animal forms at the level of genius...

That's a relief! I was hoping we'd get an Einstein or Mozart equivalent from the animal kingdom!

That's a relief! I was hoping we'd get an Einstein or Mozart equivalent from the animal kingdom!
Ha! I'm gonna blame that on autocorrect :)
But I'll leave it in there without editing it as it kind of underscores Behe's argument about mutations!

I did read Conan for awhile and answered the first question of the catechism once with, What is best in life?"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!"

I enjoyed the one Conan book I read with stories by the original author Robert Howard, are any of the other ones worthwhile? In the same genre of "noble barbarian warrior", I really enjoyed David Gemmell's books.

The Concise Marrow of Christian Theology by Johan Heinrich Heidegger

Redemption Accomplished and Applied by John Murray

The Colour out of Space by HP Lovecraft

Did Heidegger write this work only in Latin or is there a German version of it, since he was from Zürich? I would like to go through it.

Just finished Schlesinger's biography of Robert Kennedy, it made me cry at the end; I am now reading the Best and the Brightest by David Halberstam, great book on the Vietnam War, and Dinesh D'Souza's What's So great About Christianity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back