What are you reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grant

Puritan Board Graduate
Good Morning,

Outside of the Bible and commentaries, what are you currently reading?

Just finished Brakel’s ST Volume 1. I have 100 pages left in James Durham’s Exposition of the Ten Commandments.

After this I plan to get to Brakel Volume II.

Joel Beeke: Living for God's Glory
Vince Ward: Pursuit of Glory
Sir Winston Churchill: Thoughts and Essays
Eli Wallach: The Good, the Bad, and Me In My Anecdotage
Charles Mann: 1491, New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus
Sir Walter Scott: Ivanhoe

With the kids:
Andrew Lang: The Blue Fairy Book
CS Lewis: The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe
Jerry West: The Happy Hollisters
Catherine Vos: The Child's Story Bible
Liesbeth van Binsbergen: Follow Me Bible Stories

A few scattered other things off and on (William Perkins vol 1 for example) but these are the current weekly reads. Durham on the Ten Commandments is wonderful and I need to get back to a Brakel (we took a break for my wife's sake a year and a half ago).

Hugh Martin's "The Shadow of Calvary." It has been a very profound work that I have been enjoying meditating on.

History of the Reformed Presbyterian Church of North America 1871-1920 by Edgar

The Trivialization of the United Presbyterian Church by Fry

The Westminster Confession of Faith: For Study Classes by Williamson

Work -- Accelerate: Building and Scaling High Performing Technology Organizations by Forsgren, Humble, and Kim

Sorry G, but my main reading outside a Bible is a commentary.

Spurgeon's Treasury of David is my friend while going through the Psalms.

Recently listened to Messiah the Prince by William Symington, making it my second pass through the book.

Each Lord's Day, a section of Calvin's Institites. Nearing the end of Book One.

The Concise Marrow of Christian Theology by Johan Heinrich Heidegger

Redemption Accomplished and Applied by John Murray

The Colour out of Space by HP Lovecraft

The Heart of Anger by Lou Priolo

Any of the latest news regarding that thing that shall not be named.

Augustine's Confessions, Thomas Boston's Human Nature in its Fourfold State and a View of the Covenant of Grace, and Jeffrey Johnson's "The Church."

Almost finished with Studies in the Fourth Gospel, by Leon Morris ... and it is great ! Also Six Sermons on Important Subjects in volume 4 of Works of Robert Traill (thanks to the recommendation of Bayou Huguenot on the topic of righteousness) Finally, as if the foregoing wasn't enough ... In and out of Discussions by R.L. Dabny, and a collection of essays, The Faith Of Jesus Christ, edited by Michael F Bird, and Preston M Sprinkle. Some of which is a bit over my head, but fascinating nonetheless. I can't seem to finish one before I start another. But I keep plugging away.

Joel Beeke: Living for God's Glory
Vince Ward: Pursuit of Glory
Sir Winston Churchill: Thoughts and Essays
Eli Wallach: The Good, the Bad, and Me In My Anecdotage
Charles Mann: 1491, New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus
Sir Walter Scott: Ivanhoe

With the kids:
Andrew Lang: The Blue Fairy Book
CS Lewis: The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe
Jerry West: The Happy Hollisters
Catherine Vos: The Child's Story Bible
Liesbeth van Binsbergen: Follow Me Bible Stories

A few scattered other things off and on (William Perkins vol 1 for example) but these are the current weekly reads. Durham on the Ten Commandments is wonderful and I need to get back to a Brakel (we took a break for my wife's sake a year and a half ago).
Reminds me of a few of my friends who are reading 10 books at once. I’m more of a 1 at a time guy outside of
Bible and commentary.

Hopefully you actually finish them!

Reading the Hobbit with the kids.

Reminds me of a few of my friends who are reading 10 books at once. I’m more of a 1 at a time guy outside of
Bible and commentary.

Reading the Hobbit with the kids.
I am generally the same way. Except when I read long books, I’ll often break it up by reading others...

Currently on my plate are the works of Josephus (just finished Antiquities of the Jews), Wayne Grudem’s Systematic Theology, and Pascal Denault’s The Distinctiveness of Baptist Covenant Theology

Just finished a Bolivar biography, the Dune series, All Quiet on the Western Front, and now on Longitude. I have a book on the Peloponnesian War I think I will read next.

I have finished 32 books so far this year, so that list of "currently reading" is typically completely different in about a month :)

For me, cycling through multiple topics or genres seems to help increase my throughput and maintain interest.

Myself:
  • Reformed Preaching - Joel Beeke
  • Christian Behavior - John Bunyan
  • Morning and Evening - C.H. Spurgeon

Family:
  • Taking Root - Diana Kleyn (Book 1 of 3 in "The Lord's Garden" series from Reformation Heritage Books)

Robert Letham's Systematic Theology

John Calvin's Commentary on Acts (volume 2)

Hugh Martin's Christ Victorious

William Cunningham's Theological Lectures

Samuel Rutherford's A Survey of the Spiritual Antichrist

John Colquhoun's A Treatise of the Covenant of Grace

I am also about to start reading volume 1 of Matthew Henry's works. God-willing, I will start reading a history book this evening.

Day of Worship by Ryan McGraw
Christ in the Camp by J. William Jones
War between the States by John Dwyer (textbook, I am still being schooled)
Bruised Reed by Richard Sibbes
Between the Times by D.G. Hart (took a break from that one for a while)

Hugh Oliphant Old- Worship
Danny Hyde-In Living Color (finished today)
Athanasius-Currently re-reading On the Incarnation but with the goal of reading all of his works
O Palmer Robertson-Christ of the Covenants

Myself:
  • Never Split the Difference, Chris Voss
  • On Grand Strategy, John Lewis Gaddis
  • Slouching Towards Bethlehem, Joan Didion
With the kids:
  • The Swiss Family Robinson, Johann David Wyss

Last edited:
I am also about to start reading volume 1 of Matthew Henry's works.

I just read his Sober-Mindedness Pressed upon Young People, in a Discourse on Titus II.6 (1712), which was very good. However, I will not read through these two volumes consecutively. Instead, I am going to begin volume 2 of John Newton's works.

God-willing, I should also start a book by a patristic author soon, as I try to maintain a healthy mixture of authors from different eras in church history.

Outside of Aimless Love by Billy Collins, all my current reading is for a pastoral care and counseling class for seminary.

-unpublished course notes by J. Mark Beach
-God and Soul Care by Eric Johnson
-Psychology and Christianity by Eric Johnson
-Center Church by Tim Keller
-The Minister as Shepherd by Charles E. Johnson

My pastor and I are going to start going through Vos Group together from Reformed Forum. So, I guess I could add Biblical Theology of the Old and New Testaments by Geerhardus Vos to the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back