What are you driving?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of years ago I was convinced that as a good Christian, I needed to obey the speed laws ... becuase, after all they are the law of the land regardless if they are enforced exactly at the posted limit and regardless of what I can get away with.

What did it get me? The finger at least 5 times per day. Seriously, I think that if I would drive the speed limit in Dallas I would get shot inside of a month from some crazy road rager.

I still think I should drive the speed limit, but I'm more concerned with the idiot crazies running me off the road.

Yeah, an '82 mustang with a build '89 long-block 5.0 H.O.

Having a car that did 13s in the quarter-mile was fun, but I sure don't miss the days of 11 mpg.

Sigh, and I was just thinking about how nice it would be to have a mini-van so Kristie can go shopping while I can sit in the back and read or watch a DVD.

I drive a red 1999 Oldsmobile Alero. My grandparents bought it for me for my high school graduation. It has a 3.4L V6 and 170 hp. I really like the way it runs and the way it looks when its cleaned up, but I've had my share of problems with it. But the good news is that I've had it for 5 years now and its only got 68K miles on it.

If I ever win the powerball or something, I'm going to buy either a Nissan 350Z or a Mazda RX8. But I will never buy an American made car ever again, unless its a Corvette.

Trucks, on the other hand... I really like Chevy trucks, especially the Avalanche. I also like those new Colorados. I didn't like the changes they made to the 2003 Silverado, which is why I would buy an Avalanche or a Colorado instead.

I've never been a Ford man, but I must say that the new F150 is impressive. Has anyone seen pics of the 2005 Ford Mustang?

Volvo 740 GL Saloon. 1990 Registration. 250,000 miles....

Cost me all of 150 pounds...

Still going strong!

Gas / Electric Hybrids

One issue for the gas/electric hybrid is that for 2004 you get a $1500 tax credit on your federal taxes (plus additional on state income taxes if you have them).

Plus, I estimated that I would save about $1250/year on gas (at $2.00/gallon). So, I could bank those savings, and in 4 years if there were any problems with it, I would still be $6500 ahead of where I would be with the non-hybrid..

Somethng like the Prius would save me even more money on gas each year. So the idea of facing something like a $4000 auto repair bill would still leave me $1500 better off financially.

[quote:d92562c4fe][i:d92562c4fe]Originally posted by luvroftheWord[/i:d92562c4fe]

Trucks, on the other hand... I really like Chevy trucks, especially the Avalanche. I also like those new Colorados. I didn't like the changes they made to the 2003 Silverado, which is why I would buy an Avalanche or a Colorado instead.

[/quote:d92562c4fe]

I had a K 20 Chevy 4x4 in the early 1990's and a Ford E 350 Cube Van a couple of years ago. I kind of miss the cube van.:(

[quote:41b1436d08][i:41b1436d08]Originally posted by LawrenceU[/i:41b1436d08]
[quote:41b1436d08]...Of course I don't have to tell you that the Mopars in the Chrysler muscle cars went up to 440[/quote:41b1436d08]

True. But, Chevy went to 454!! [/quote:41b1436d08]

Lawrence...Which Chevy went to a 454? I knew they were powerful, but I thought the 440 was as big as it got...

Mary :eek:

my first car- rust colored (once red) '87 chevy celebrity given to me by one of the elders in my church because, in his own words, "he could not sell it in good conscience". Took it understanding that it needed a new timing chain. Turns out it was the timing gears. Then the battery. Then the radiator. Then the water pump. Then the head gaskets. After I had put about $1000 into my "free" car the block developed a crack. Sold it to some friends on campus who drove it out into the desert (still not sure how they pulled that off) and had an afternoon of fun alternating between sledgehammers, baseball bats, and various firearms.

2nd (and current) car- white '87 pontiac sunbird with only 83,000 miles on it. Replaced the power steering pump when I bought it, and haven't had to do a thing to it since. Runs beautifuly. Have a bumper sticker on the back which reads "future dictator of the world". Been thinking about the whole gun rack thing... always thought it would be really cool to do a gun rack with one of those matched samurai sword sets on it. :D

[quote:27794c95da][i:27794c95da]Originally posted by king of fools[/i:27794c95da]
One issue for the gas/electric hybrid is that for 2004 you get a $1500 tax credit on your federal taxes (plus additional on state income taxes if you have them).

Plus, I estimated that I would save about $1250/year on gas (at $2.00/gallon). So, I could bank those savings, and in 4 years if there were any problems with it, I would still be $6500 ahead of where I would be with the non-hybrid..

Somethng like the Prius would save me even more money on gas each year. So the idea of facing something like a $4000 auto repair bill would still leave me $1500 better off financially. [/quote:27794c95da]

There seems to have been more "bad" press about the Prius falling short of the EPA mileage estimate that I have seen for quite a while. Don't count on the 60 MPG that EPA says, their test is not that realistic.

Based on what I have read in discussion groups, such as www.priuschat.com, I suspect that the Prius is more sensitive to the way one drives than is a conventional car. So a driving style that may cost you 10% in gas mileage in a regular car might cost you 20-30% in a Prius. Since they will use the same basic technology, the same would probably be true of the Ford Escape Hybrid, Lexus R400h, and Toyota Highlander Hybrid that will be out during the 2005 model year.

On the flip side all the current hybrids provide a readout of their gas mileage. This is helping drivers to learn how to best drive a hybrid.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stewardship - Gen 1:28 - Not Plunder

[quote:3e87e53f81]Lawrence...Which Chevy went to a 454? I knew they were powerful, but I thought the 440 was as big as it got...

[/quote:3e87e53f81]

The 454 big block was an available option during varied years on the Nova and Camaro. It was a sleeper option. Many folks new of the 396 and the killer 427, but even a lot of dealers didn't know of the 454 option. If you find one snatch it up.

For what it's worth, the 396 will smoke a 440 bubbler any day. I've seen it happen all too often. Those Mopar engines sound good, but the best sound is that of the announcer over the loudspeaker saying, 'And crossing the line first is number 26 driving the Bowtie. . . What a run!"

Guess what I saw today!!!

i thought you car buffs might appreciate this little story...

i took my parents over to this Panoz dealer today in Plano, TX...

in the showroom, they had a brand new Ferrari F355 that looked so awesome, but yet, something seemed strange in the Ferrari's facial expression... it almost seemed shy or embarrassed... and then...

and then there it was... just behind the glass - just out of reach... a 1966 427 Cobra... so cherry... Dark blue with the white racing stripes... oh man... (no wonder the Ferrari looked embarrased... hehehe)

LawrenceU wrote:

For what it's worth, the 396 will smoke a 440 bubbler any day. I've seen it happen all too often. Those Mopar engines sound good, but the best sound is that of the announcer over the loudspeaker saying, 'And crossing the line first is number 26 driving the Bowtie. . . What a run!"

My dad swears by Chevy muscle cars. I personally like the Chryslers better...(dads never know anything!) My ultimate car would be a replica of the one the bad guys drove in Bullitt, which was a Charger (1968, I think). That thing was sooo sweet! It seems to me the Duke Boys also drove a Charger (or a Challenger)...

I don't see many old Novas on the road, but now that I know to look out for them, I will be...The Camaro, of course, I know, but I had no idea the engines got so big in those...

I don't know what For what it's worth means...

Have you even been up here for the Dream Cruise? It is the neatest thing ever. I mean, all summer around here everybody's cruising in their classics (if they have one) while the rest of us drool, but the Dream Cruise is the ultimate! It goes for miles...

Mary
:bs2:

I am drving an Accord LX; my wife drives the nuevo Scion xB by Toyota.
[img:f0d4d76e07]http://www.toyotacelicaonline.com/celica1/news/bbx.jpg[/img:f0d4d76e07]

[Edited on 6-1-2004 by Scott Bushey]

I still remember when I was a little boy, My father bought home a beautiful new red 1966 Ford Galaxy (which was a company car). I'll never forget how nice that car was and the new car smell of the interior.

[quote:145d0c504e][i:145d0c504e]Originally posted by Gregg[/i:145d0c504e]
I still remember when I was a little boy, My father bought home a beautiful new red 1966 Ford Galaxy (which was a company car). I'll never forget how nice that car was and the new car smell of the interior. [/quote:145d0c504e]

When I was a very small child, we had a dark green LTD. My parents & I drove all the way to Boulder, CO to visit my aunts in that thing. My crib mattress fit across the back seat, so it must have been a HUGE car. (I have no recollection of this, I was about 18 months old.)

I saw a Galaxy from just about that time period yesterday..It was green though.

Does the rest of the country have so many people who cruise in restored old cars????? Curious...

Mary :bs2:

[quote:8b7e6c25fd][i:8b7e6c25fd]Originally posted by Mary[/i:8b7e6c25fd]

Does the rest of the country have so many people who cruise in restored old cars????? Curious...

Mary :bs2: [/quote:8b7e6c25fd]

Reply...

When I was in the service and we were deployed to Arizona, you saw many people there driving older classic cars. They don't rust out like they do in the northeast due to road salt in the winter. The biggest problem they have is the sun/heat degrading the interiors of the cars and I suppose fading the paint somewhat too. Manyof those old cars still looked like new.

Phillip,

Good choice on the Tundra. My future brother in-law makes them in good 'ole Princeton, Indiana - my unofficial hometown.

Anyone,

I will trade my 2000 Dodge Durango 4X4 for anything that gets over 35mpg. This thing is eating me alive right now.

I prefer a diesel, but as long as the trade gets me out of my loan, I'll take anything.

MINI's ROCK!!! I love the little boogers.

Dream Car - 1968 Ford Mustang Convertable ('68 cause that was the year I was born.)

BTW, that's the only Ford I would ever conciously buy. I am not a fan of FMC.

I'd take a '78-'86 Mercedes 300D if anyone has one. Gotta love that 5 cylinder diesel.

What a varied palate I have.

KC

I like vehicles that I can buy for about $700-$1500 and run them until they're worn out.:D

[Edited on 6-1-2004 by Gregg]

Come on Mary, I wasn't being mean, I was just being "edifying" :p

Ike,

You are right about the additional bovine nomenclature. That's why I hedged alittle on my definitions :D

Lawrence,

Looks like no one wants to take you up on your poll on polled cattle :wink:

Also, my first car was a 1967 Mustang with a 289. Sweeeeeeeet !

01 Diesel Excursion (Wife's car)
01 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab (My truck)
89 F150 (Trail truck)

$28,000 in vehicle debt, which is why the two trucks are for sale! :banghead::chained:

[quote:ef6c0b3625][i:ef6c0b3625]Originally posted by twogunfighter[/i:ef6c0b3625]
89 F150 (Trail truck)

$28,000 in vehicle debt, which is why the two trucks are for sale! :banghead::chained: [/quote:ef6c0b3625]

Ah...he's figured out the painful underbelly - we reel you in with the pretty shinyness and then we've got you!

The Big Three might have me whacked for telling you this, but Gregg has figured out the answer...It's not exciting, but it's what works.

Boy, there are alot of imports being driven by members of the board. There are more in the Motor City than there ever used to be - it used to be you would get your tires slashed, your car keyed, etc. for driving a foreign car around these parts, and ask me about Vincent Chin sometime. Truly a shameful moment in Detroit history...Anyway, there are more than there used to be, but American cars are still the vast majority around here...

And Wayne, it's OK. I only cried for 20 minutes over your harsh and mocking response. :rolleyes:

But you never answered my follow up question!!!! Do you call it a "bull horn" and if so, how do you differentiate between a "bull horn" and a "bullhorn" (the thing you talk out of)? Or does it have its own name? And can you maybe send me one? I kinda thought they were cool...

Mary :D:D:D

[quote:1ded884ae4][i:1ded884ae4]Originally posted by twogunfighter[/i:1ded884ae4]
89 F150 (Trail truck)

$28,000 in vehicle debt, which is why the two trucks are for sale! :banghead::chained: [/quote:1ded884ae4]

Reply...

Chuck, did Dave Ramsey (radio show)help you to decide this?:thumbup::thumbup:

I drive a 1981 yellow Toyota 4x4 pick-up. My dad bought it new when I was two or three. Now it has 370,000 miles on it and its missing the left rear bumper (due to two cars totaling themselves on it).

Mary - if you're so good at identifying vehicles, let me ask you if you know what a Dacia is. I got hit from behind by one last year while walking down the SIDEWALK. And the lady was going in reverse. I went completely up on top of her trunk. Isn't that ridiculous?

I've got a '92 Nissan truck with only 80,000 miles on it. My wife drives a '95 Saturn SL2 with a bunch of miles on it. Oh, and on the weekends I drive a Craftsman GT3000 Garden Tractor around the yard and garden.

Cole

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back