Longenecker on Romans

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
Per the Eerdmans website, Richard N. Longenecker's new major commentary on Romans is set to be published on April 12th of this year. I'm only sort of aware of him, so can anyone tell me if he's one of the good guys? Theologically conservative? Exegetically reliable as a Bible commentator?

The commentary will appear in the New International Greek Testament Commentary series.

I have both his Introducing Romans and his theology of Paul. I would characterize him as a moderate evangelical. He is not a proponent of the NPP, even though he appreciates some of the correctives that Sanders and Dunn have brought vis-a-vis Judaism. He disagrees with their interpretation of the phrase "works of the law", and argues, much like Justification and Variegated Nomism, that Judaism had more forms than covenantal nomism in the first century. I've used his Galatians commentary in the WBC series, and I thought it was fairly well done (minus the stupid format of the series, which tends to atomize the text). I expect this to be an important contribution to Romans studies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back