Looking for a Good Arminian Resource

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheInquirer

Puritan Board Junior
Teaching a class on the Doctrines of Grace and have been referencing the Remonstrance for Arminian beliefs but looking for some definitive work(s) that layout out Arminian theology systematically without having to search through something like the entire works of Arminius. Would something like Thomas Oden's Systematic Theology be a good resource or is there something else you might recommend?

I need it fast before next Sunday so digital resources online or in Logos preferred. Thanks in advance for the help.

Teaching a class on the Doctrines of Grace and have been referencing the Remonstrance for Arminian beliefs but looking for some definitive work(s) that layout out Arminian theology systematically without having to search through something like the entire works of Arminius. Would something like Thomas Oden's Systematic Theology be a good resource or is there something else you might recommend?

I need it fast before next Sunday so digital resources online or in Logos preferred. Thanks in advance for the help.

Oden is generally excellent, but he isn't polemical. He has published some works on John Wesley that would give you the essence. Very few, if any, "Arminians" today likely hold to Arminius's exact teachings.

Oden's systematic theology is more a summary of what the patristic and medieval church taught.

Tom McCall is an Arminian and an excellent scholar. Outside some articles and lectures, I don't know if he has specifically published on Arminianism.

Classical Arminianism by Leroy Forlines is the best work I’ve read by an Arminian. God used that book to teach me about substitutionary atonement.

He’s not very famous, but it’s good work, and more polemical. He also claims to hold more closely to Arminius himself instead of Wesley, and openly rejects Christian perfection.

Beyond this post, I recommend the work to you all to sharpen yourselves.

The Rejection of Errors sections in the Canons of Dort is oftentimes quoting Remonstrant works. Straight from the original horse's mouth.

Forlines is the guy most self-identified evangelical Arminians go to. Aside from Arminius himself, of course. Olson is generally viewed favorably, but his views on Scripture and his friendliness to open theism causes the more conservative to keep him at an arm’s reach.

This is available in Logos:

A COMPENDIUM OF CHRISTIAN THEOLOGY:
BEING ANALYTICAL OUTLINES OF A COURSE OF THEOLOGICAL STUDY,
BIBLICAL, DOGMATIC, HISTORICAL

BY
WILLIAM BURT POPE, D.D.,
THEOLOGICAL TUTOR, DIDSBURY COLLEGE, MANCHESTER

VOL. I–III
SECOND EDITION, REVISED AND ENLARGED

LONDON:
PUBLISHED FOR THE AUTHOR AT THE WESLEYAN CONFERENCE OFFICE,
2, CASTLE STREET, CITY ROAD;
SOLD AT 66, PATERNOSTER ROW
1877–1879

So is Richard Watson's Theological Institutes.

Because of the Wesleyan influence, those will be more evangelical Arminian than something in the style of Episcopius.

Roger Olson’s Arminianism: Myths and Realities. I have a digital copy I could send you if you give me your email.

Food for thought -- from my experience many non-Calvinistic Baptists are not Arminians. They generally do not teach prevenient grace.

I have an article where I point out some of the errors, often overlooked, of the Remonstrants on the doctrine of God.

Good article, answered some questions floating around in my head.

So if there is a bit of a challenge in identifying what Classical Arminians believed (Arminius' public and private teachings, Episcopius, others, etc.), when theologians such as Bavinck and Berkhof make statements such as "The Remonstrants held..." and they don't cite a source, who exactly are they referring to?

Good article, answered some questions floating around in my head.

So if there is a bit of a challenge in identifying what Classical Arminians believed (Arminius' public and private teachings, Episcopius, others, etc.), when theologians such as Bavinck and Berkhof make statements such as "The Remonstrants held..." and they don't cite a source, who exactly are they referring to?
Strictly speaking, the Remonstrants would be those who produced the Remonstrance, after the death of Arminius. So the Arminian party from ~1610 through to the synod of Dort and its aftermath.
Who is Bavinck in particular talking about? Bavinck gets information from the secondary, primary German language, sources of his day more often than many realize, so he probably means whoever they mean. That said, my German is awful, too poor to do any real digging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back