Lord's Supper question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notthemama1984

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
I know the standard with presbyterian churches is that only an ordained minister in that denomination or in a denomination that they have fraternal relationships with is allowed to administer the sacraments.

My question is.....

Would you allow a minister who was ordained in a non-fraternal denomination but is working on his ordination in your denomination to administer the sacraments if you felt that his views aligned with the views of your denomination?
 
Some wouldn't even allow that minister to take the Lord's Supper if he is still a member of the non-fraternal denom, so I don't see them allowing him to administer it.
(For instance, some churches only allow NAPARC members to join them for communion, even if they have a credible testimony.)
 
Some wouldn't even allow that minister to take the Lord's Supper if he is still a member of the non-fraternal denom, so I don't see them allowing him to administer it.
(For instance, some churches only allow NAPARC members to join them for communion, even if they have a credible testimony.)

Do you have a specific denom in mind? I believe the Table is the Lord's and for His people regardless of denom. I would not think of fencing the table from some of the baptist brothers here on PB.
 
I have a situation in mind where it could be necessary. I am not going to give out details or anything right now, but since my original post the denom in question has given their decision and everything has been worked out.
 
There was a thread a couple of months ago -- not about this particular question, but this question came up.

My answer would be "yes." In fact, there's an EPC minister who's essentially a member of our church (and whose wife and kids are members), and we've had him preside over the Table at our church before, even though the EPC and PCA aren't in fraternal relations.

And actually, I don't remember seeing anything in the BCO that says that it must be administered by a minister whose denomination we have fraternal relations with.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top