Question about Lord's Supper

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenjaminBurton

Puritan Board Freshman
If Scripture teaches that those who come to the Table unfit to take of the elements may bring judgment or death upon themselves, why is a "remembrance" view taken by so many? It seems that there is a special grace given to those who rightly come before the Lord to take of the elements. Does this stem from Zwingli's influence and/or a strong reaction against the respective views of Rome and Luther?

I'm only asking because I've been (curiously) reading into Lutheranism lately. I had never had much interaction with them but knew of Luther's consubstantiation view. Was it Calvin's view that there was a special grace given that had spiritual significance?

Not sure if this is in the right place or not so I hope a mod will correctly place it if necessary

I don't think 1 Cor 11 is as strong an argument for the sacramental view as 1 Cor 10 is. I am not sure the warnings of chapter 11 have any bearing on the commemorative view.

Was it Calvin's view that there was a special grace given that had spiritual significance?

My reading of Calvin's Short Treatise on the Supper of Our Lord (Short Treatise on the Lord's Supper by John Calvin) is that there is no special grace apart from the Cross. Any blessing in the Lord's Supper comes from our understanding of the doctrine.

Calvin also seems to view Luther as having been trying to rebut a heresy, but failing and instead confusing people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back