Making yogurt

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredtgreco

Vanilla Westminsterian
Staff member
This might be a long shot, but does anyone have some simple recipies (or know a book that has them) for making simple yogurt with a yogurt maker?

I don't mean how to make Mediterranean dishes or soups etc. We just got a yogurt maker super cheap from Amazon and we want to make some vanilla, and various fruit yogurts for our kids (who love it). But we can't find anything that gives the proper amounts of vanilla, sugar, fruit, etc.

Thanks!
 
Fred, here is what you do.

Slowly heat your milk until it just reaches the boiling point. Do not let it actually boil and foam.

Cool the milk to between 105-110 degrees. Should feel lukewarm on your wrist.

Stir in either freeze dried enzymes or two tablespoons of a good cultured yogurt from a previous batch.

Then incubate it in your yogurt maker maintaining that 105-110 degree for five to ten hours. The longer the incubation, the tarter the yogurt.

Chill it before serving. Add your flavors or fold in preserves.

I personally like honey or fresh fruit. Granola and or nuts is also very good.

Good luck. :up:

[Edited on 5-28-2005 by Augusta]
 
YOGURT

1) Scald (180 degrees) 1 quart whole milk plus 1/3 c. dry milk.
2) Cool milk to 110 degrees.
3) Add 1/4 - 1/3c plain yogurt; stir well; Pour into yogurt maker cups.
4) Heat in yogurt maker or keep at 110 to 120 degrees, until set (about 6 hours)


Or a healthier, easier version -

2 cups powdered milk
3 3/4 cups water at 110 degrees

Mix together and add 2 Tablespoons plain yogurt (or up to 4 Tablespoons). Whisk together and pour into yogurt maker and let set for six hours.


I usually make the "healthier version" and add strawberry jam to it.
;)

I think the vanilla and sugar is "add to taste". For the quantity a yogurt maker normal holds I'd probably start with 1-2 teaspoons vanilla, and 1/2 - 3/4 cups sugar.

Or, as I mentioned earlier, I make it without the sugar, and when I eat it I stir in a tablespoon of my favorite fruit jam.

[Edited on 5-28-2005 by ChristianasJourney]
 
Fred,

I checked Ursinus, Turretin, a' Brakel, Owen, and even Muller's Post-Ref. Ref. Dog. and found nothing, not even in the appendices! I'll keep looking, though I do not think they dealt with this. You may want to try Baxter's Directory. He probably deals with this under good works and domestic piety. Baxter deals with just about everything. :-)
 
Fred and Rich:

Did you check out Kuyper? He had his hand in just about everything. He might be helpful. It could be, though, that he may have shunned yogurt like he did apologetics.

:D
 
Fred, after you get your yogurt. Cut and freeze some bananas, strawberries, blueberries and mangos on cookie sheets. Then put them in freezer bags. Put the frozen fruit and a few tablespoons of your fresh yogurt in the blender and make some of the creamiest, healthiest and tastiest smoothies on earth. Yummy! Frozen yogurt works even better.

:banana: (This banana doesn't know he's going to get frozen.)
 
JohnV and Fred,

I'd trust Kuyper over Baxter. Baxter would probably link our yogurt making to the ground and basis of our justification. :-)
 
Originally posted by maxdetail
Fred, after you get your yogurt. Cut and freeze some bananas, strawberries, blueberries and mangos on cookie sheets. Then put them in freezer bags. Put the frozen fruit and a few tablespoons of your fresh yogurt in the blender and make some of the creamiest, healthiest and tastiest smoothies on earth. Yummy! Frozen yogurt works even better.

:banana: (This banana doesn't know he's going to get frozen.)

Bob,

Why freeze them? Wouldn't that make it too chunky?
 
It would make it into a slurpee like drink Fred. Have you ever made orange julius in a blender before?? Similar.
 
"Why freeze them?"

Hmmmm, cuz that's the way we've always done it.

No seriously, at my favorite coffee shop thats how they make them so I assumed that smoothies are always a frozen drink. Very refreshing. Some people use crushed ice but it's much richer if you freeze the fruit. I blend it until the frozen fruit is good and smooth. Obviously you want to use a blender with a little horse power.
 
Oh, and Scaffer did address Swiss yogurt, I believe. At least my friend who lived and worked with him for some time has attested to that.
 
I don't do bananas in my smoothies. Blah! BUT...if I'm forced to I normally use regular room temp bananas in my Vitamix along with yogurt, other fruit like strawberries and ice, and the smoothie comes out fine.

IF I liked bananas (which I usually don't) frozen bananas sound a-peeling-ing. I would cut them into ice cube size chunks before freezing, and use them along with the ice cubes. I'd think that they'd blend up just fine. I acutally use various varieties of frozen fruit quite often.
 
Oh, I just had to add:

Here is the perfect smoothie:

1 6 oz container Strawberry yogurt
1 apple peeled, cored, and chunked
handfull of strawberries
1 Tablespoon sugar
a swirl of honey
A splash of Strawberry syrup (like Da Vinchi)
1 drinking glass filled with ice.

Blend. Pour into two or three glasses top with a swirl of whipped topping.
 
That sounds really tastey Janice BUT, you are in violation of the Smoothie purity laws. No sugar, that's an anti-nutrient. The ice will water down the flavor, hence the frozen fruit. The bananas are used for the sweetening. I quarter the bananas when I freeze them. A couple slices of mango might offset the banana taste for you. If you don't use the ice you won't need the syrup. Stick with pureed fruit for the flavor.

Ok, there aren't any purity laws regarding smoothies. Just my humble opinions. :D
 
Originally posted by Rich Barcellos
Fred,

I checked Ursinus, Turretin, a' Brakel, Owen, and even Muller's Post-Ref. Ref. Dog. and found nothing, not even in the appendices! I'll keep looking, though I do not think they dealt with this. You may want to try Baxter's Directory. He probably deals with this under good works and domestic piety. Baxter deals with just about everything. :-)

Yogurt is a different Religion! Repent!
 
Originally posted by maxdetail
That sounds really tastey Janice BUT, you are in violation of the Smoothie purity laws.

LOL! But I only eat a smoothie for the taste. :banana: And dancing bananas are great, but not in MY shake. UGH! (That's why I use an apple. You can't disguise the taste of a banana in a smoothie). I do like using frozen fruit.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top