Materialism...how much is too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see how it could be a problem at all (in and of itself). I would caution you to be careful with your conscience. If this goes against you or your husband's consciences then hold off until you can act with freedom in faith.

I agree, receiving gifts should not be something you discuss with yourself it should be given and reveived gratefully.
So I would suggest keeping future gifts secret.
 
The reason for this post is that my husband recently asked me what I want for Christmas and our anniversary which are a day apart. I have always liked jewelry and I found a very nice ring half price (second hand but still not cheap) at a reliable source online. Before I ask my question, let me say that we are blessed financially and have no debt and tithe, etc.

I do not "need" another piece of jewelry. I know that biblically women are to be beautiful inside and not through external adornment. So when I desire something material that is a luxury, I usually have this feeling of guilt like I am not spiritual enough. I also think about this when we think of buying a new house closer to our new church.

We have adopted an orphan and give to those kinds of needs, but maybe we should give more and spend less on ourselves (we actually are very conservative spenders 99% of the time). I DO want to store up treasures in heaven. But is it wrong to desire material things that you can afford? (I suppose for men a better correlation might be a big screen TV, a certain kind of car, or here on PB, a nicer gun or something!).

I guess we all know some really rich Christians (definitely not us) who are very generous but still live in luxury themselves. I am just not sure how God views this.

This is one reason Christmas is troubling to me. Even Christians get caught up in materialism while we earnestly try to keep the focus on the meaning of the holiday.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this topic!

(I just realized that there are people here who do not participate in Christmas related activities at all. Let's please not get into that debate here, if you don't mind. I understand that aspect.)


Whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

At the same time, we are not in bondage. Godly men in Scripture have come to great prosperity. The father of the prodigal evidently had at least one ring lying around.

Against self-indulgence we have to thunder to those who have this world's goods and see their brother's need and do nothing "how dwelleth the love of God in him?"
Against an imposing of one person's conscience upon another, we have to point out that the one who resented a lavish expense was the apostate thief who held the bag.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top