McLaren denies hell and penal substitutionary atonement

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be expected, he's garbage, no offense to garbage.
Well, you know the old saying, "Misery loves company," and here's further proof: [video=youtube;PqtwLlrSssY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqtwLlrSssY&feature=related[/video]

Wow! And a tip of the hat to James Forbes (ordained American Baptist recently retired from Riverside NY) and Red Letter Christians (the Jim Wallis and Tony Campolo group). Can we get any more trendy? It was even on a Media Matters clip. They are surely one of my favorites. And National Council of Churches' own Bob Edgar standing in the back! A feel an amen coming on strong. Oops.

I loved the ringing cell phone in the background. I think I learned more from that noise than McLaren's.

The landscape is changing. Give Campolo a chance, man. You Puritan guys have to put Rob Bell on your Rolodex and take John Calvin off of it.

Honestly, these guys don't really shock me. I've gotten to the point where I expect folly from those with futile minds.

:ditto:

When I moved off to college, I wasn't at all surprised at all the vile things students were doing at parties, and that is simply because I understood the doctrine of total depravity. Just as I am not surprised that there are false teachers, and that the ones who I know to be false teach more true ideas about a false Christ.

:chained: I...............just..................can't....................seem......................to...............................................let....................go......................of........................my..............................Calvinist.................chains.....................i.................need.............................some......................MClaren................WD-40......................or.......................some..........................Campolo.....................greese..............................................or.................some.....................Rob Bell, argh, he just make me want to vomit. Lord, if you give me Rob Bells Church, I promise to be more faithful to your word than he is. :pray2:

To be expected, he's garbage, no offense to garbage.
Well, you know the old saying, "Misery loves company," and here's further proof: [video=youtube;PqtwLlrSssY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqtwLlrSssY&feature=related[/video]
I kept waiting to hear about the glory of God and the redemptive work of Christ but all I heard was him him gushing over his own righteousness and open minded, progressive politics.

Why do I even listen to this stuff, it's like I want to torture myself. :confused:
But I suppose you have to know how they are framing their arguments in order to refute them. :p I just lost a load of brain cells after hearing that. :lol:

I agree that although it is hard to listen to, we do need to know what they are saying in order to refute them and "mark them out". McLaren is gaining remarkable influence and recognition, even in historically confessional circles, e.g., Calvin College invited him last year to lecture at their "Worship Symposium". It is a bit breathtaking to witness the speed at which biblical discernment is fleeing the churches in North America.

Mark,

I didn't mean to criticize you for noting what I did by the way. I do appreciate the discussion. I was merely noting that I don't get shocked by it.

Blessings!

Rich

No problem.... I didn't interpret as criticism anything you said.

. . . .

And under the long accepted legal doctrine that the specific controls over the general, Paul's pronouncement that these particular people are going to Hell is clearly an exception to the general rule enunciated by John.
Studies show the majority of people have had premarital sex. They're condemned as fornicators. All those other than Christians are going to Hell as idolaters (and that includes the Catholics who worship Mary, and the so-called "saints"). Studies show many people get drunk at times, so they're out. And, of course, the sodomites are out (but we knew that anyway, without Paul's words).

There's another ancient legal doctrine: "read to the end of the passage."

1Co 6:9-11:

"Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God."

Praise God that blaspheming, theiving, reviling, fornicating, covetous, drunkards such as some like me can be washed, sanctified, and justified in Christ's sovereign and omnipotent name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back