Memorization Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blood-Bought Pilgrim

Puritan Board Freshman
Many of us will, I'm sure, undertake to follow a reading plan with Scripture in the upcoming year, but what about a plan for memorization? Do any of you follow a structured plan for Scripture memorization? I'd love to get ideas from what has worked for others.

I was simply memorizing through Romans. I found it to be not only easier to work straight through a book, but also more beneficial; we're less prone to take things out of context if we memorize the context along with the popular 'one-liners.'

On a practical level, I would work through a section (for example, 2:1-5) in a couple days. Once I felt as if I was sufficient on that, I would move on to the next. I felt it important to work through the whole book at least once a week. I found the shower to be the best time, as there ain't much else to do! It starts to take awhile rather quickly.

Also, ditch the chapter/verse numbers. They only add confusion and difficulty in memorization. It wasn't written that way! You can always go back and mentally add verse numbers where you think it is important.

For now I read a chapter or portion of Hellenbroeks A specimen of divine truths each week and then choose one Q and A with proof text. The proof texts I memorize in Greek.

Not a plan, per se, but I'm using Anki flashcard app to review my memorization and I find it's made it possible to memorize at a faster pace than I used to think I could. It uses an algorithm to track how often you need to see your cards for review to help you move material into your long term memory in a more systematic way. I'm finding, at least right now, that I can add a verse each day without feeling like I'm losing what I used to have memorized or spending a ton of time reviewing every day. I'm not sure if I'll be able to sustain that pace, but I'm sharing it because a good system of review is likely just as important to making memorization stick as a formal plan for what to memorize.

Similar to what Zach said, not a plan per se, but I have been using the Verses app to memorize the proof texts in Berkhof’s Textual Aid to Systematic Theology in preparation for licensure. It’s a very effective tool. It provides a number of memorization tools to assist you. I’ve been able to memorize about 70 percent (about 400+ verses) of the material in about 3 months, which is a much faster pace than I’ve been able to accomplish previously. I’m sure there are other great plans/tools, but this one works for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back