Mental Health/ the Noetic effects of sin/ and the work and person of the Holy Spirit and His domain

MacArthur, it is either medical or moral. How about both?
That it can be both seems clear to me. That is why pastors should be working with doctors. I see no need or biblical argument for the use of secular psychology/psychiatry. If a woman is struggling with post partum depression issues she should be speaking with an appropriate woman in the church for shepherding and her hormones should be checked by an OB/GYN. Of course elder is and deacons may also need to be involved. On the other hand, if Jane Doe has an eating disorder she needs pastoral counsel and guidance from an older woman-not a psychologist and a dietician.

false dichotomy is being persistently set up
No, it's not. That's a misunderstanding of an entire view of counseling.

I recently came across two helpful resources.
1. Dr Bredenhof's insightful review of a recent book on Mental health and the Church

2. British Psychiatrist Alan Thomas has written "Tackling Mental illness together" from a Christian point of view. Here is a lecture he gave at the Westminster Seminary in Newcastle, England.

I recently came across two helpful resources.
1. Dr Bredenhof's insightful review of a recent book on Mental health and the Church

2. British Psychiatrist Alan Thomas has written "Tackling Mental illness together" from a Christian point of view. Here is a lecture he gave at the Westminster Seminary in Newcastle, England.

The Thorne & Midgley book is very helpful at a lay level. One of its contributions which I found useful more generally was that everyone can be seen as a mixture of sinner, saint, and sufferer - we don't have to pigeonhole everyone as one or the other. I haven't watched this particular video but Alan Thomas is always instructive too.

Back