Ministerial Robes

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalvinandHodges

Puritan Board Junior
Hi:

Does anyone have information on the Reformed attitudes towards the Geneva Robe, for example? I am looking for historical evidence, who wore them, who did not, as well as theological arguments for/against,

Blessings,

Rob
 
I'm interested, too. I know there are many excellent historians on the PB, and as I'm not much of an historian (at least of this era), but know that there was significant opposition to "vestments", I'd really appreciate it if someone would shed light on the difference between robes and vestments? Does it have to do with the context of their use (in the pulpit vs. out of the pulpit)?
 
What we know as the "Genevan robe/gown" is not a vestment, but academic dress. Vestments are ecclesiastical clothes that were prescribed for Roman priests for use in the Mass. The Genevan robe was used by Luther, Zwingli, Bucer, Calvin, etc. in the place of the vestments. They teach that the minister is a minister of the Word, not a priest.

It has been used throughout Reformed history in all places where the Reformed preached and taught. One needs only look at any pictures/paintings of the Reformers, the Puritans, and the Pilgrims to see that it was universally accepted to preach in the Genevan robe. Even those who rejected the stole in the Vestarian Controversy still wore the Genevan robe.
 
I wear one. When people visit our church, they don't have to wonder who the pastor is. I think they the Geneva gown takes focus off the pastor, as an individual, and emphasizes the authority of his office to preach the Word of God. :pilgrim:
 
From the practical side, a robe will:
1) save on the number of suits you have to own
2) hide a multitude of "sins" (e.g., too many desserts)
3) let you wear shorts on a hot day

:lol:
 
From the practical side, a robe will:
1) save on the number of suits you have to own
2) hide a multitude of "sins" (e.g., too many desserts)
3) let you wear shorts of a hot day

:lol:

Not really number three...do you wear socks to your knees?
 
From the practical side, a robe will:
1) save on the number of suits you have to own
2) hide a multitude of "sins" (e.g., too many desserts)
3) let you wear shorts of a hot day

:lol:

Not really number three...do you wear socks to your knees?

You don't have to if you get a good length robe and never sit down. Actually I couldn't find a "tongue in cheek" emoticon.
 
Ordination of Elders in a Scottish Kirk, 1891,
by John Henry Lorimer,
and found on the cover of James Bannerman's The Church of Christ.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top