No Other Name
Puritan Board Senior
I've had a chance to take a couple of deep breaths, and with confirmation of my apologies for being so testy before, I will attempt to jump back in with (Lord help me!) a more sober-minded spirit.
I think one of the background issues being debated is the nature of perfection. Does perfection necessarily imply infinitude / eternality? Is volitional sin the ONLY thing that detracts from sin?
It seems to me, and if I'm wrong then please show me, that some people in this thread are saying that the absence of wilful disobedience to God's law is the only difference between our life now and our life on the other side of glory. I disagree with this. I believe that the effects of the fall extend much farther than our deliberate actions. No sin is occurring when an animal attacks another animal; yet, this is a result of the fall, and it is something that will not happen in heaven. I hope there's no debate on that, since Scripture explicitly states this.
I believe that the effects of the fall are woven into the very fabric of our universe. This means that there is an entirely separate category under discussion here: a category of things that reflect the fall without necessarily involving culpability on the part of one or more persons. When I say that a stubbed toe is a result of the fall, I am not saying that I think a sin was committed. What I am saying is that it is the manifestation of a flaw in the created order, a flaw that is there as a result of sin, and a flaw that will not be there in glory. Therefore, I can pose the following two questions and their answers with no hint of contradiction:
Have I sinned, and do I need to repent when I stub my toe? No.
Will I ever stub my toe in heaven? No.
It is not about the degree of perfection or forethought God will expect of us in heaven. It is about his ability to create a universe in which that degree of perfection exists naturally, such that everything works right all the time in every conceivable way. Assuming we have interactions with other people in heaven, there will never be the least hint of relational discord. There will never be the least blemish of any kind in the new heaven and the new earth. He will not be demanding of us that we will never stub our toes. Rather, he will have created a universe of such sublime perfection that such a thing will never happen.
Another important distinction that I think is being blurred here is the distinction of eras. The following contexts are under discussion:
1) Adam before the fall
2) Christ in his incarnate state
- what happens to him
- what he does
3) Believers in glory
I do not believe Adam would have ever stubbed his toe or fallen off a ledge before the fall. These things do not square with the reality of a perfect world.
Christ in his incarnate state is a special case, because this is the one circumstance in redemptive history where a sinless being lives in a world marked by the effects of the fall. I don't know whether Jesus would have ever gotten a mosquito bite, but it certainly seems possible. He was subject to the effects of the curse as part of his estate of humiliation; maybe that extends to this whole life, or maybe it is just restricted to the sufferings explicitly designated in Scripture. That, to me, doesn't matter so much. Reformed theology teaches that his entire life on earth was a life of suffering, and I am content to leave it at that. What matters to me is whether Christ made "mistakes" - tripped, stubbed his toe, got a wrong answer on a test, miscalculated on a carpentry project. I don't think he would have ever made a mistake in this regard.
I mean this not as a snide remark but rather as an expression of genuine non-comprehension on my part: I utterly fail to see how any notion of mistake, error, or accident could have any place in our talk about heaven. It goes back to that middle category between perfection and personal culpability. There will be no failed velcro or diaper containment issues in heaven. This does not mean that such issues now are sin for which one or more parties must be directly culpable. It's heaven - if there's velcro, it will be 100% effective 100% of the time. Where there is serendipity, it will only be of the positive variety. Indeed, the only things we will fail to anticipate will be the glories and perfections of the God we are contemplating for all eternity.
So, no stubbed toes in heaven, and no need to repent for them now. I hope this more clearly (and less heatedly) explains my thinking in this thread.
If it helps your blood pressure any, for my part, you were clear enough long ago about heaven - and I am unsure I think it necessarily follows but wouldn't be surprised if it turns out you are right.
Rev. Winzer seems to think lack of dexterity is some kind of order of sin per his quotes, so I am waiting on his input. In the meantime, I would love your take on how erroneous doctrinal belief is always sinful no matter if it is contained outside the defining parameters of saving faith.