Morton Smith Systematic Theology Coming to Logos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylor

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
This has finally come to fruition. Morton Smith's Systematic Theology is coming to Logos at some point. Unfortunately, it is currently only in the "Gathering Interest" stage. Therefore, I am calling on all PBers who are interested in this book (and you all should be; it's excellent) to go and preorder it so that Logos can begin production!

This has finally come to fruition. Morton Smith's Systematic Theology is coming to Logos at some point. Unfortunately, it is currently only in the "Gathering Interest" stage. Therefore, I am calling on all PBers who are interested in this book (and you all should be; it's excellent) to go and preorder it so that Logos can begin production!
Hi, Taylor. I know you've promoted Morton Smith's ST in the past. If I could ask, what do you find intriguing about his work? Just curious. I haven't read many STs, maybe only a handful. Thanks.

Hi, Taylor. I know you've promoted Morton Smith's ST in the past. If I could ask, what do you find intriguing about his work? Just curious. I haven't read many STs, maybe only a handful. Thanks.

I'm not sure I find anything particularly intriguing about it. I suppose the reason I like it is precisely that—there is nothing intriguing about it! Instead, we have a rare instance of a comprehensive systematic theology written by an orthodox, confessional, Presbyterian churchman, whose only interest, as he says in his own preface, is "to preserve the orthodoxy of the Church, and to advance the propagation of the full counsel of God." He doesn't attempt to do anything new other than synthesize for a new generation this counsel. That makes his work great to me.

(As an aside, it also helps that he is a Southern Presbyterian who studied under Dutch masters both living and dead. He draws deeply from Bavinck. And, he gets points with me for being Presuppositional.)

I think the physical book version is being published by Wipf and Stock or one of its subsidiaries.

I think the physical book version is being published by Wipf and Stock or one of its subsidiaries.

Yes, and I believe that is how Logos is able to publish it now. Before, it was just Greenville Seminary Press doing it. I had to drive to Greenville even to buy it. Very blessed to have gotten one of the last copies then in print.

Based on your recommendation, I purchased a set from GPS before they sold out. I was very glad that I did.

I'm not sure I find anything particularly intriguing about it. I suppose the reason I like it is precisely that—there is nothing intriguing about it! Instead, we have a rare instance of a comprehensive systematic theology written by an orthodox, confessional, Presbyterian churchman, whose only interest, as he says in his own preface, is "to preserve the orthodoxy of the Church, and to advance the propagation of the full counsel of God." He doesn't attempt to do anything new other than synthesize for a new generation this counsel. That makes his work great to me.

(As an aside, it also helps that he is a Southern Presbyterian who studied under Dutch masters both living and dead. He draws deeply from Bavinck. And, he gets points with me for being Presuppositional.)

That's quite a sales pitch there! I might have to put in a pre-order tomorrow.

I am adding Smith's Systematic to the RHB catalog. Thanks for bringing it to my attention that Wipf & Stock is publishing it. Although, it is unfortunate it is in paperback.

As a side note. I was at the GPTS conference last year and they had a set there. I had them set it aside for me. My schedule was insane and forgot about it. I doubt they still have it set aside.

Have you looked through it? If so, can you comment on the quality of the Kindle edition?

It looks like the kindle version retains correct formatting throughout with proper paragraph breaks. (I have only read early chapters.) Scripture references are actual hyperlinks to the verses at end of book, which is nice. The table of contents will take you to any chapter or theological division (prolegomena, theology, anthropology, Christology, etc.). At the back of the book (accessible in the contents menu) is a comprehensive outline of both volumes, and a bibliography. I'd say that a significant amount of work went into the kindle version, and for the price is a very good investment.

It looks like the kindle version retains correct formatting throughout with proper paragraph breaks. (I have only read early chapters.) Scripture references are actual hyperlinks to the verses at end of book, which is nice. The table of contents will take you to any chapter or theological division (prolegomena, theology, anthropology, Christology, etc.). At the back of the book (accessible in the contents menu) is a comprehensive outline of both volumes, and a bibliography. I'd say that a significant amount of work went into the kindle version, and for the price is a very good investment.
Thanks for the heads up. I purchased it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back