Most Sinful States (Stats)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan&Amber2013

Puritan Board Graduate
I have often wondered about this, and I guess a report was just released about it. I have wondered if the conservative states were actually more holy. I don't really know if this is legitimate or not, but they basically measure data like crimes, people looking at adult sites, fraud, etc. As far as I can see, being a red or blue state doesn't mean any more or less sin.

 
I shouldn't, but really, everything from the premise to the methodology... from top to bottom... I just wanna laugh at this.
I do too. Maybe for different reasons. There seems like plenty of sin for to go around for everyone about anywhere.
 
This is the actual data. When looking at the methodology, I can see how it can be flawed. None-the-less, it seems to point to issues in every state.

What I've mainly wondered is if more Christianized areas have better morality. This is really a state by state report, but I would like to see a comparison of countries who have higher numbers of professing Christians compared to those that don't. Does anyone know of such a report? I would love to see how Christianity impacts the morality of a country.

 
Last edited:
You are not being clear… what is legitimate or not?
The findings. If they are measuring facts and data depending on the sin in states, in what ways would one say the report is flawed?

One way I can see is that they are measuring the data based off of documented statistics, when there may be a lot more sin that just hasn't been documented. Like teen dating violence for example. There may be a lot more in another state that just hasn't documented it.
 
I laugh a bit at Idaho and Wyoming being least sinful.

The reason for that is personal experience from my heathen years in both states. I think it is more a matter of a culture of “don’t ask and certainly don’t tell.”
 
I laugh a bit at Idaho and Wyoming being least sinful.

The reason for that is personal experience from my heathen years in both states. I think it is more a matter of a culture of “don’t ask and certainly don’t tell.”
Yeah I think you are right. From my experience, people are broken everywhere. Cultures are different, but the heart of people is not. I think what is concerning though, is that we would think more conservative states have more Christians, which we would hope would lead to better morality. But it seems like there are so many variables on the studies, that it would be too hard to have accurate conclusions.
 
The primary difference between red and blue states isn't how corrupt human nature is, but whether there is a common census that that corruption is something to be suppressed, or celebrated.
In my state of Wisconsin, are there abortions? I'm sure someone's doing it, but it's illegal, so a lot less people are doing it that in California, for fear of arrest. Or they're going to another state to do it.
Are there people using drugs? Sure, but unlike in California, you can't shoot up your heroin or smoke your marijuana on a public sidewalk.
Are there robberies? I'm sure it happens, although it's exceptionally rare outside of the city of Milwaukee, because unlike some places, we don't defund the police or rail on about how they're all racist.
The only sin that I can think of that we may have elevated levels of is drinking. But I suspect that Wisconsin people are just proud of their drinking, because of the history of beer brewing in the state, and because it was founded primary by Lutherans, Roman Catholics, and Reformed folks, rather than Methodists and Baptists. Because if you look at the list of "cities that drink the most," we have cities 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 (that's my town), 9, 10, 12, 15, and 20. But if you compare states by rates of cirrhosis of the liver, Wisconsin is actually significantly below the national average. So we probably actually have less alcoholism than average. It's just that when the reporters from USA today roll around every year to ask how much we've been drinking, we respond with things like "More than you, oh, you betcha," and "Welp, I had a pack of beers ice fishing yesterday, and one on the way home, because I speared the biggest sturgeon you've seen in your life, and you gotta celebrate, donchaknow?" and "Well, I had a few old fashioneds just today. Have you ever tried an Old Fashioned? You have to try a brand old fashioned, sweet, not sour. My husband makes the best Old Fashioned! You want one? Oh, you have to try one!"
 
The primary difference between red and blue states isn't how corrupt human nature is, but whether there is a common census that that corruption is something to be suppressed, or celebrated.
One thing I found interesting about this despite the very odd methodology was that it didn't seem to follow red and blue states. The bottom four states are Vermont, New Hampshire, Idaho, and Wyoming. A very blue state, a purplish blue state, and two red states. The top four states are Nevada, California, Louisiana, and Florida. A purplish blue state, a very blue state, and two red states.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top