Moving to North Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristopherPaul

Puritan Board Senior
It is official, I am moving my family from New Jersey to North Carolina.

I accepted an offer to work for a competitor company. I will be working and living in the Research Triangle Park area (Raleigh/Durham).

There are many PCA churches in the area to check out, there is also an RPCNA, and an OPC that we will also visit. We already visited one PCA church, but our first impression was negative.

Does anyone here live or used to live in this area?
 
good luck on the move. i could imagine the savings from simply moving down there from Jersey. you could literally live in a mansion with the same cost you incurred for living in New York area.
 
Originally posted by Slippery
good luck on the move. i could imagine the savings from simply moving down there from Jersey. you could literally live in a mansion with the same cost you incurred for living in New York area.

The cost of living was a big seller. We just bought our house 15 months ago for $400,000. It is just under 2,000 square feet, two story, one car garage - colonial. Nothing too fancy. We pay $8,000 a year in taxes (since it was built in 1975 - a new home would be assessed around $12,000 to $15,000 per year).

In NC we can get a house with more square footage, more baths, two car garage for less than $250,000 and about $2,500 a year in taxes. AND the the benefits of more local reformed churches.

NJ forces people to live on dual incomes. They boast about the schools, but we are homeschooling. Don't get me wrong, I really like where we have lived for the past six years. I love being so close to Manhattan, Philly, the shore, and the Pocono mountains. I liked the diversity, the NY Giants, and the bagels. But the cost of living is getting out of control. I work long hours in the city and no sooner I get home, my family has eaten without me and the kids have to go to bed. I don't want to be a weekend dad.

It will also be nice to not get looked down upon for having a lot of kids.
 
Originally posted by ChristopherPaul


It will also be nice to not get looked down upon for having a lot of kids.
and you also get in state tuition for UNC Tar heels. dat alone is sweeeeeeeet. its good to be blessed. rejoicing with you.
 
As for churches, I'm familiar with a few PCA and other reformed congregations in the area - but my expertise, obviously, is knowing the reformed and reforming Baptist churches :) Ask ChristianTrader - I know he goes to a pretty solid PCA, but there are also a number of PCA congregations around here that I certainly couldn't recommend. But he may know more about other options than I do.

Welcome! And if you ever want to meet up with some PB folks - I know there's me and ChristianTrader, as well as a few others I believe in Apex/Cary (right next door).

And if you need help moving in, finding your way around, or anything else, just let me know :)

[Edited on 4-10-2006 by smhbbag]
 
I just spent the weekend in the RDU area and was blessed to worship with the brethren at Triangle RPCNA in Durham. Pastor Ian Wise is a good man. I lived and worshipped in the Chapel Hill/Durham/Raleigh/Cary area for many years. It's a great place to live and work and worship, and it's especially beautiful this time of year when the dogwoods are in bloom. North Carolina has a lot of opportunities for work, worship and vacation (mountains and beaches). God bless you and yours in your relocation, and may the Lord direct your steps.

[Edited on 4-10-2006 by VirginiaHuguenot]
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top