Music Trivia

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirginiaHuguenot

Puritanboard Librarian
Does anybody have any interesting music trivia to share? You know, the kind that will enable one to be that 9th caller to the radio station to win a trip to the Bahamas? :cool:

Here is a little fun trivia to start off this thread:

1. Who wrote Manfred Mann's Earth Band's Blinded by the Light?

2. Which contributor to Eric Clapton's Layla is currently institutionalized having killed his mother two decades ago?

3. In order to avoid confusion with the Monkee's Davey Jones, what did David Jones change his name to?

4. What group consisted of former members of Buffalo Springfield, The Hollies and The Byrds?

5. Who wrote I'm a Believer for the Monkees?

6. What seventies album remained on Billboard's album charts for a record 741 consecutive weeks?

7. What was Creedence Clearwater Revival's original name?

8. Who sang backup vocals on Carly Simon's You're So Vain?

9. Which famous musician co-wrote and backed David Bowie on Fame?

10. What was the first video played on MTV?

11. How did the Janis Joplin hit Me and Bobby McGee get its title?

12. How did the Beatles song Hey Jude get its name?

13. What or who was the inspiration for the Beatles' Let it Be?

14. What well-known band did American Idol judge Randy Jackson play for in the 1980's?

15. What is the most recorded song in the history of popular music?

















Answers

1. Bruce Springsteen

2. Drummer Jim Gordon, who wrote the instrumental piano piece that makes up the second half of Layla, was convicted of killing his mother in 1983.

3. David Bowie

4. Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young

5. Neil Diamond

6. Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon

7. The Golliwogs

8. Mick Jagger

9. John Lennon

10. The Bugles' Video Killed the Radio Star

11. Composer Kris Kristofferson used a secretary's name at his songwriting publisher's office as the title. Her name was actually Bobbi McKee. By naming the character in the song "Bobby," Kristoferson he made sure a female singer could sing it without changing the name, since "Bobby" could refer to a man or woman. If it was "Harry McGee," Joplin would have had to change the gender.

12. Paul McCartney wrote this as Hey Jules, a song meant to comfort John Lennon's son Julian as his parents were getting a divorce. The change to "Jude" was inspired by the character "Jud" in the musical Oklahoma!. McCartney loves show tunes.

13. Paul McCartney had a dream about his mother, Mary.

14. Journey

15. The Beatles' Yesterday, which has been recorded, according to the Guinness Book of World Records, approximately 3000 times.

[Edited on 6-29-2006 by VirginiaHuguenot]
 

VirginiaHuguenot

Puritanboard Librarian
beatles.gif
 

Ivan

Pastor
Neil Simon? Wasn't it Neil Diamond that wrote "I'm a Believer?"

I wonder if anyone ever wrote a Christian version of the song?
 

Ivan

Pastor
Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
Originally posted by Ivan
Neil Simon? Wasn't it Neil Diamond that wrote "I'm a Believer?"

Oy vey, I think I shall retire from the music trivia business. Good thing I didn't quit my day job! :banghead:

Sir, I wish I knew 1% of what you do about ANYTHING!!!
 

gwine

Puritan Board Sophomore
Originally posted by Ivan
Neil Simon? Wasn't it Neil Diamond that wrote "I'm a Believer?"

I wonder if anyone ever wrote a Christian version of the song?

Well then I saw His face,

Now I'm a believer,

Well then I saw His face,

No doubt in my mind . . .

Naaah. Just can't quite see it. :lol:
 

Formerly At Enmity

Puritan Board Freshman
Original name for the Grateful Dead.......


Answer coming up later for those who don't know it...


Extra points for those who know how many keyboard players have died!!
(no spinal tap jokes please):)
 

Formerly At Enmity

Puritan Board Freshman
Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
Does anybody have any interesting music trivia to share? You know, the kind that will enable one to be that 9th caller to the radio station to win a trip to the Bahamas? :cool:

Here is a little fun trivia to start off this thread:

1. Who wrote Manfred Mann's Earth Band's Blinded by the Light?

2. Which contributor to Eric Clapton's Layla is currently institutionalized having killed his mother two decades ago?

3. In order to avoid confusion with the Monkee's Davey Jones, what did David Jones change his name to?

4. What group consisted of former members of Buffalo Springfield, The Hollies and The Byrds?

5. Who wrote I'm a Believer for the Monkees?

6. What seventies album remained on Billboard's album charts for a record 741 consecutive weeks?

7. What was Creedence Clearwater Revival's original name?

8. Who sang backup vocals on Carly Simon's You're So Vain?

9. Which famous musician co-wrote and backed David Bowie on Fame?

10. What was the first video played on MTV?

11. How did the Janis Joplin hit Me and Bobby McGee get its title?

12. How did the Beatles song Hey Jude get its name?

13. What or who was the inspiration for the Beatles' Let it Be?

14. What well-known band did American Idol judge Randy Jackson play for in the 1980's?

15. What is the most recorded song in the history of popular music?

















Answers

1. Bruce Springsteen

2. Drummer Jim Gordon, who wrote the instrumental piano piece that makes up the second half of Layla, was convicted of killing his mother in 1983.

3. David Bowie

4. Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young

5. Neil Diamond

6. Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon

7. The Golliwogs

8. Mick Jagger

9. John Lennon

10. The Bugles' Video Killed the Radio Star

11. Composer Kris Kristofferson used a secretary's name at his songwriting publisher's office as the title. Her name was actually Bobbi McKee. By naming the character in the song "Bobby," Kristoferson he made sure a female singer could sing it without changing the name, since "Bobby" could refer to a man or woman. If it was "Harry McGee," Joplin would have had to change the gender.

12. Paul McCartney wrote this as Hey Jules, a song meant to comfort John Lennon's son Julian as his parents were getting a divorce. The change to "Jude" was inspired by the character "Jud" in the musical Oklahoma!. McCartney loves show tunes.

13. Paul McCartney had a dream about his mother, Mary.

14. Journey

15. The Beatles' Yesterday, which has been recorded, according to the Guinness Book of World Records, approximately 3000 times.

[Edited on 6-29-2006 by VirginiaHuguenot]


..By the way....when are the questions going to get difficult?;)
 

VirginiaHuguenot

Puritanboard Librarian
Originally posted by gwine
Originally posted by Ivan
Neil Simon? Wasn't it Neil Diamond that wrote "I'm a Believer?"

I wonder if anyone ever wrote a Christian version of the song?

Well then I saw His face,

Now I'm a believer,

Well then I saw His face,

No doubt in my mind . . .

Naaah. Just can't quite see it. :lol:

:lol:
 

Formerly At Enmity

Puritan Board Freshman
Very nice Andrew...I would expect nothing less from you!


I retaliate w the following question....


Name the original instrumentalists for the following bands

1.) guitarist for Yes
2.) drummer for Rush
3.) drummer for the Beatles
4.) guitarist for the Stones
5.) guitarist for Chicago

NO GOOGLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good Luck!:cool:
 

VirginiaHuguenot

Puritanboard Librarian
Originally posted by Ivan
Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
Originally posted by Ivan
Neil Simon? Wasn't it Neil Diamond that wrote "I'm a Believer?"

Oy vey, I think I shall retire from the music trivia business. Good thing I didn't quit my day job! :banghead:

Sir, I wish I knew 1% of what you do about ANYTHING!!!

Thanks, Ivan, but...au contraire, mon frere! To borrow from Bilbo Baggins, "I don't know half as many things half as much as I should like." The more I learn, the more I know how little I know.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top