Musical Worship Resources

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's start (and some here will say end) with the Bible...

You are less likely to find recommendations here for Hillsong/Bethel 101.
 
Last edited:
Does anyone know of a good book for musical worship leaders/musicians? Thanks!
Here’s a Couple.
http://www.bible.ca/H-music.htm
This one is called what did the early Christians Believe about using Insturment music in Worship.

https://prayingtwice.files.wordpres...he_public_worship_of_the_church-girardeau.pdf
Instrumental Music in the Public Worship of the Church
by
John L. Girardeau

http://www.reformedonline.com/uploads/1/5/0/3/15030584/appendix_a_musical_instr.pdf
Musical Instruments in the Public Worship of God, Appendix A The Historical Evidence Brian Schwertley
 
In case the resources listed so far aren't actually what you are looking for, you might find Bob Kauflin's book, Worship Matters, helpful.
 
Thank you for your input so far. I should've been more specific - I'm really looking for a book that would be helpful for those who hold to instruments being okay, who help lead the worship of God. Topics like how to approach worshipping in song, our attitude in worship, the point of instruments in worship, what styles of music would be considered reverent, etc.
 
Thank you for your input so far. I should've been more specific - I'm really looking for a book that would be helpful for those who hold to instruments being okay, who help lead the worship of God. Topics like how to approach worshipping in song, our attitude in worship, the point of instruments in worship, what styles of music would be considered reverent, etc.

Anything by Bob Kauflin on music is helpful. I also really benefited from D.A. Carson’s essay in “Worship by the Book.”


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
In case the resources listed so far aren't actually what you are looking for, you might find Bob Kauflin's book, Worship Matters, helpful.

Anything by Bob Kauflin on music is helpful.
Kauflin does not hold to the regulative principle of worship (his views would be similar to John Frame). In my country churches that are Calvinstic Charismatic or Calvinistic Dispenstional like his works. Just saying.
 
Kauflin does not hold to the regulative principle of worship (his views would be similar to John Frame). In my country churches that are Calvinstic Charismatic or Calvinistic Dispenstional like his works. Just saying.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this thread was never about whether or not instruments are supported under the RPW. I know I can learn from those who don't share all the same beliefs I do. Furthermore, if Ryan believes that instruments are permissible under the RPW, then much can be gleaned from someone who writes about the issue even if the author's position on the RPW is different.

I strongly support the use of instruments in worship as well as "uninspired" music. I will gladly pipe in to a conversation where both sides are being considered, but I find it distasteful when an OP is addressed to one persuasion and those of another persuasion use it as a platform for rehashing a particular application of the RPW.

:2cents:
 
Propriety of instrument inclusion aside, Jeremiah Burroughs has an excellent pastoral and pious work on the right manner of approaching God in worship, which most certainly deals with attitudes of the heart, etc.

Gospel Worship - Jeremiah Burroughs
 
Furthermore, if Ryan believes that instruments are permissible under the RPW, then much can be gleaned from someone who writes about the issue even if the author's position on the RPW is different.
Exactly. That cuts both ways.

Even if the author has a majority Puritan understanding and application of the RPW, much can be gleaned from it, so your finding such suggestions "distasteful" seems a bit unwarranted on the Puritan board. This is, after all, a discussion board, and if folks don't want the discussion/challenges, then they should refrain from "throwin' out there" said discussions.

It would be one thing for there to be a thread on Justification by Faith alone and posters come in and push some kind of self-merited righteousness against that. Such things are decidedly anti-Scriptural, certainly anti-Confessional, and ought not to be permitted. This is not that case. We have provided forums with such rules (the baptism forums for baptists or paedobaptists). There is nothing in place for "worship.'
 
Discretion, not a separate forum is in order.

Let's not :deadhorse:
I agree about discretion. On the one hand, our interaction should be irenic and charitable. On the other hand, it ought not to be frowned upon to challenge and/or hold discussion in a thread with concepts that are well within Confessional orthodoxy, even if folks do not agree about it.
 
I agree about discretion. On the one hand, our interaction should be irenic and charitable. On the other hand, it ought not to be frowned upon to challenge and/or discussion in a thread with concepts that are well within Confessional orthodoxy, even if folks do not agree about it.

Yes. Can't we save these debates for posts that directly deal with the topic?

The propriety of musical instruments has nothing to do with the OP.
 
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this thread was never about whether or not instruments are supported under the RPW. I know I can learn from those who don't share all the same beliefs I do. Furthermore, if Ryan believes that instruments are permissible under the RPW, then much can be gleaned from someone who writes about the issue even if the author's position on the RPW is different.

I strongly support the use of instruments in worship as well as "uninspired" music. I will gladly pipe in to a conversation where both sides are being considered, but I find it distasteful when an OP is addressed to one persuasion and those of another persuasion use it as a platform for rehashing a particular application of the RPW.

:2cents:
Tim,

I agree that the thread shouldn't be derailed into a discussion of the lawfulness of musical instruments, since that wasn't in the OP. However, Stephen didn't say anything about that; he simply said that that Kauflin doesn't hold to the Regulative Principle (I don't know anything about Kauflin, myself). So far, Ray and you are the only ones who have said anything about whether instruments should be used.
 
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this thread was never about whether or not instruments are supported under the RPW. I know I can learn from those who don't share all the same beliefs I do. Furthermore, if Ryan believes that instruments are permissible under the RPW, then much can be gleaned from someone who writes about the issue even if the author's position on the RPW is different.

However, Stephen didn't say anything about that; he simply said that that Kauflin doesn't hold to the Regulative Principle (I don't know anything about Kauflin, myself).
That is correct. I said nothing about musical instruments. I was talking about those who are not committed to the RPW itself.
 
I apologize, I thought you were pushing no instruments into this conversation. Thanks for clarifying.
Thank you. No problems. For the record I don't have a strong view on musical instruments in worship as such. But in keeping with the RPW, I believe that the doctrine of total depravity, and the creator-creature distinction (WCF 7:1), mean that we have to be careful about the number and type we use in worship.

So coming back to the original question, the doctrine of total depravity, and the creator-creature distinction should be the foundation for this discussion.
 
Ryan, I agree there is much good material in Bob Kauflin's Worship Matters, and I too liked D.A. Carson's essay in Worship by the Book. So chalk up a "ditto" from me on those two recommendations. Even if you have a more purely Reformed approach to worship than those authors do, you will still find much that's helpful.

I also like Mike Cosper's Rhythms of Grace for its emphasis on how the worship service retells the gospel story.

None of these recommendations is really a how-to guide for musicians, though. They are more about why we worship and the biblical ideas that guide our decisions.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top