Muslim prayer before the PC(USA) general assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckd

Puritan Board Junior
“Allah bless us and bless our families and bless our Lord. Lead us on the straight path – the path of all the prophets: Abraham, Ishmael, Isaac, Moses, Jesus and Muhammad,” and so went the prayer offered up by Wajidi Said, from the Portland Muslim Community, as part of the “first order of business” during the opening plenary session of the 222nd General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church (USA).

http://www.layman.org/prayers-allah-offered-pcusas-general-assembly-plenary-session/
 
I wish I could say I'm shocked by this...but I'm not. Saddened, but not surprised.

May God have mercy on them.
 
Wow, I am shocked actually. I really can't believe it.

I thought perhaps the URL was going to take me to a Babylon Bee article, but no this really occurred.
 
I echo Reagan. Sadness but no surprise. Even more sad is Mr. Said might even have more orthodox beliefs than most of the attendees.
 
I absolutely love the non-apology in the "Update" at the bottom of the article:

UPDATE: At the conclusion of the afternoon plenary on Wednesday, June 22, the Stated Clerk of the General Assembly, Rev. Gradye Parsons, offered an apology. He said that he had become aware that some had found the prayer on Saturday offensive. Parsons said that sometimes mistakes can be made in ecumenical relationships and stated it was not intentional. “It was never the intention to offend anyone, and we offer an apology to those who were offended.”

"We're sorry you were offended."

This is a situation where "ecumenical relationships" has gone too far.

Were there representatives from conservative Christian denominations there (OPC, PCA, RPCA or anything)?
 
The many comments below the article by concerned Christians also offer some hope.

I liked this one:

No. I Do. Not. Believe. This.
This is low, even for the PCUSA.
No wonder the PCUSA is hemorrhaging churches, members and money.
Would the last person leaving please turn out the lights and attach the sign “Ichabod” over the door?
Wait. God has already done both.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top