MUST READ-Polemic Theology - How to Deal with Those who Differ from Us - Roger Nicole

Status
Not open for further replies.

crhoades

Puritan Board Graduate
Ok...You don't HAVE to read this but I do think it is timely. It is a great article and definitely checked me in some regards and reminded me in others.
It seems like every now and then we get a little more combative on the board and then we mellow back out. Our goal should be to always speak the truth in love. Nicole's article holds for the standard of Christian charity in conflict without compromising into squishy koom-bah-ya pomoness.

Let this be part of your devotional reading for the week. Print it out, make copies for friends, pass the link onto pastors.

Polemic Theology - How to Deal with Those who Differ from Us

To whet your appetite here is the conclusion:
III. The Christian's Goal
Perhaps the most important consideration for the Christian is to remain aware at all times of the goal to be achieved. It is the consistent perception of this goal that will give a basic orientation to the whole discussion: Are we attempting to win an argument in order to manifest our own superior knowledge and debating ability? Or are we seeking to win another person whom we perceive as enmeshed in error or inadequacy by exposing him or her to the truth and light that God has given to us?
If the former be true, it is not surprising if our efforts are vain: we should be like physicians who take care of patients simply in order to accredit some pet theory. If the latter be true, we will naturally be winsome. This will increase our patience when the force of our arguments does not seem to have an immediate effect. This will challenge us anew to understand those who differ in order to present the arguments that are most likely to be persuasive to them. God has appointed all of us to be witnesses to the truth. (John 1:7; Acts 1:8) God is the one who can and will give efficacy to this witness. We should never underestimate His ability to deal even with those who appear most resistant. Who would have thought that Stephen could actually reach the heart and mind of anyone in the lynch mob that put him to death? But his great discourse was actually sowing goads in the very heart and conscience of Saul. (Acts 26:14) Acts 7 showed that his argument was sealed by his Christ-like spirit in the face of this atrocious murder. (Acts 7:59-60) His witness was used by God to win over perhaps the ablest of his adversaries, who was to be the great apostle Paul!
A Christian in carrying on discussions with those who differ should not be subject to the psychology of the boxing ring where the contestants are bent upon demolishing one another. Rather "The Lord's servant must not quarrel: instead, he must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful. Those who oppose him he must gently instruct, in hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth, and that they will come to their senses..." (2 Timothy 2:24-26).

[Edited on 9-5-2006 by crhoades]

Those are sound thoughts. I've memorized 2 Timothy 2:24-25, and appreciate it, but it is described in context as our modus operandi for witnessing. Not to negate what you're saying, but I think there are times for a strong rebuke of false teachers. After all in Galatians 2:11, the Apostle Paul withstood Peter for his appeasement to the Judaizers: "Now when Peter had come to Antioch, I withstood him to his face, because he was to be blamed..."

I frankly, think the barnyard theologians of the Zane Hodges school should be withstood, and are to be blamed. They turn grace into license with their antinomianism, and negate the very commands of our Lord to repentance. I wouldn't recommend or embrace any sharp rebukes at the young who are misinformed by these false teachers, but a gentle spirit of correction because they do not know any better and are not wise in their age, but the elders who teach this errant theology ought to confronted and withstood. Such condemnation should be reserved for false teachers, and not necessarily those mislead by them out of ignorance or youth. One can be sharp in a rebuke without being uncouth and profane. James 3:1 declares, "My brethren, let not many of you become teachers, knowing that we shall receive a stricter judgment."

We also need to heed 1 Timothy 5:1
1Do not rebuke an older man harshly, but exhort him as if he were your father. Treat younger men as brothers,

[Edited on 9-6-2006 by crhoades]

Thanks so much for the post, Chris.

But I have a problem here.

Why did you wait until 5 minutes before my building committee meeting this evening to post this? Did you withhold it on purpose? Did you chuckle at the thought of my getting frustrated with dealing with some others who don't see everything exactly as I do? Huh?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Just kidding. It was a very good read and I've printed it for additional use (by me). It was a very good read. And I do wish I had read it before my meeting tonight, which went well, in spite of me.

All the best,

Interesting. I do recall being at the National Evangelical Theological Society meeting in November of 1998 (I believe it was), and I think they were celebrating ETS's 50th anniversary. If memory serves me correctly, Dr. Nicole was one of only two original charter members present at this national convening of ETS.

In a plenary assembly, Dr. Nicole was seated on the stage with one or two others (I just can't remember), and people were being permitted to ask questions about the history of ETS. One question was directed to Dr. Nicole. The question asked was "why did ETS put the words 'Bible alone' in its 'Doctrinal Basis' statement that every member must sign?" When the question was asked, and directed to Dr. Nicole, he got up out of his seat, walked to the podium, leaned into the mic and said, "Because we didn't want any Roman Catholics in ETS!!!" He then promptly turned around, walked back to his seat and sat down. A hush fell over the audience, as it was obvious that the vast majority present didn't like what he had to say and how he said it. I confess I "busted a gut" laughing it was so funny.

DTK

Looks good, will read later.

"...Ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in a spirit of meekness..."

Originally posted by crhoades
We also need to heed 1 Timothy 5:1
1Do not rebuke an older man harshly, but exhort him as if he were your father. Treat younger men as brothers,
You'r right Chris. I would add I think ordained ministers and elders are in a better position to rebuke as the Apostle Paul did in Galatians 2:11 when the need arises rather than young twenty-something guy like myself.

Truly a great article. It provides me with a great deal of perspective in dealing with Christian brothers and sisters in matters of disagreement, particularly since very few of the ones I have are Calvinists or even particularly sympathetic to it. In many ways, when I was a bit younger, I needed a rebuke and clarification similar to this article, as I was not particularly charitable to those who didn't agree with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back