Need Advice for a Book

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan&Amber2013

Puritan Board Senior
I'm looking for a really neat book on life in Biblical times. I don't want a handbbok or anything theological. Just historical, archeological, with neat pictures, describing how people lived, what they ate, what work looked like, the tools they used, etc. Does anyone have a good recommendation? Maybe Barnes and Noble will have something along those lines? Thank you so much.

Victor Matthews has some stuff for Old Testament times.
Ben Witherington has a sort of historical fiction book called A Week in Corinth. There is also a book called The World of the Dead Sea Scrolls that I was recently shown.

There are a number of Bible backgrounds books available. Some popular options include

Edershiem's Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah
Everett Ferguson's Backgrounds of Early Christianity
Pritchard's The Ancient Near East
Coogan's Oxford History of the Biblical World

There are also IVP's Bible Background Commentaries for the OT and NT

Note that while many of these works are not operating from an inerrantist framework, they are still helpful for giving a sense of the cultural background and broader backstory of the historical milieu of the Bible.

The cheapskate in me must also mention that you'll find older editions of the books for pennies on the dollar on Amazon.

Life in Biblical Israel by King and Stager is well done, though outside the reformed community. They have deep knowledge of the archeological work and academic literature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back