Netflix suggestions needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

FenderPriest

Puritan Board Junior
My wife and I just got Netflix to get some flow of movies we'd like to see instead of always watching the Lord of the Rings films over and over again (even though they're good enough to keep doing this!). So I was wondering what movie suggestions you guys would have? If you could let me know what you like about the movie you're suggesting it would help out a lot! Thanks guys.

i'm going to keep an eye on this thread as i have netflix too, and sometimes it's hard to pick a movie that is worth watching.

Cromwell has been added!
How about the newer flick regarding Cromwell, "To Kill A King"...anyone seen that?

I like Babette's Feast and Luther. I've heard the more recent Luther is not as good as the older one, but I haven't seen both to compare.

Cromwell on DVD? I didn't know it had been done. Is it available anywhere other than Netflix?

we liked John Adams as well
I also liked Lion for lambs, Stop loss, and Charlie Wilsons War
Charlie Bartlett was a good movie too, anything by Tyler Perry, and my favorite movie of all times.......TRANSFORMERS
BTW a friend of ours gave us netflix for free for 3 months and it has been awesome (we don't have cable) I will be very sad when the time is up:(
happy watching :)

We love the Bourne trilogy!

BBC has really great Jane Austen movies - Pride and Prejudice, Emma, Sense and Sensibility etc.

I haven't watched Foyle's War yet, but a few good friends say it's excellent.

Both National Treasure movies are fun!

HTH.

Cromwell on DVD? I didn't know it had been done. Is it available anywhere other than Netflix?

Amazon.com: Cromwell: Richard Harris, Alec Guinness, Robert Morley, Dorothy Tutin, Frank Finlay, Timothy Dalton, Patrick Wymark, Patrick Magee, Nigel Stock, Charles Gray, Michael Jayston, Richard Cornish, Anna Cropper, Michael Goodliffe, Jack Gwillim

they have it paired with A Man for All Seasons - another excellent film - for very reasonable...

Todd

Thanks. I can come out of the Dark Ages of VHS now on TWO of my favourite movies!

The Horatio Hornblower series by A&E is outstanding. I would rank that series and the LOTR series as my favorites.

Some classics.

Gaslight.
Citizen Kane.
Any thing with Bogart- Cassablanca, Maltese Falcon, African Queen.

Enemy of the State (1998)
The Ladykillers (2004)
The Negotiator (1998)
The Prestige (2006)
Roy Orbison: Black & White Night (1987) (Watch Instantly)
To Kill a Mockingbird (1962)
A Beautiful Mind (2001)
The Aviator (2004)
Deja Vu (2006)
The Illusionist (2006)
Inside Man (2006)
Jackie Brown: Collector's Series (1997)
A Knight's Tale (2001)
Mystic River (2003)
Stranger than Fiction (2006)
Unforgiven (1992) (Watch Instantly)
Vertigo (1958) (Watch Instantly)

In addition to some that have already been recommended (Pride and Prejudice (with Jennifer Ehle NOT Keira Knightly) and the Bourne trilogy with Matt Damon, here are some that really stand out:

I Am Legend. I don't suppose it was intentional, but I have never seen the Gospel in a movie like in this one.

Musa: The Warrior. There are some things worth being defeated for.

The Painted Veil. Edward Norton took on this role because he wasn't sure he'd ever actually forgiven anybody.

The Curse of the Golden Flower. Sadly, balance is restored.

Martin Chuzzlewit. Paul Scofield is worth any twelve ordinary actors

The Woman in White. This is horrifying Victorianism at its best.

Wives and Daughters. A beautiful collection of characters, very well acted.

Fearless. Not only does it have some excellent martial arts, it is also a good story.

We have Netflicks.

Check out the 1946 Academy Award winner: The Best Years of our Lives. Great movie. It holds the distinction of beating out "It's a Wonderful Life" that year. Just finished it up last night. It's long--2 hours 50 minutes.

The Best Years of Our Lives - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also Catch the John Adams HBO Special with Paul Giamatti. It's one of the best I've seen in a long, long time.

John Adams (miniseries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
:ditto:

I first saw it for a course on contemporary political ideas about war and peace. What a great film.

Others:

Bella (2006) - A fantastic film about community, family, and that is excellently pro-life.

Amazing Grace (2006) - A good look at William Wilberforce and his efforts to end slavery in the British Empire.

To End All Wars (2001) - About an American and British unit captured in WWII and their experiences in a nightmare POW camp.

The Great Dictator (1940) - Charlie Chaplin makes a gutsy and brutal satire of the 3rd Reich, right before WWII broke out in America. Controversial (especially the ending) but well worth watching.

Triumph of the Will (1935) - This is not a movie to be enjoyed, especially given the subject matter of glorifying the Nazi regime - but it is perhaps the most prominent and masterful propaganda work in film history. Particularly given recent events with China's bombastic and somewhat faked-up Olympic opening ceremonies, this film gives great perspective on how effective propaganda can be.

Also, of course take the time to see any of Pixar's works you haven't seen.

Here's some suggestions from my Netflix list:
Shawshank Redemption
The Green Mile
Road to Perdition
Babette's Feast
Basketball Diaries
Fight Club
American History X
To Kill A Mockingbird
Luther

I have seen all these movies in the past and I have enjoyed them. I love silly movies like Airplane, Naked Gun series as well. They also have DVD's of TV series. I also have some Woody Allen movies on my list but I don't think I 've seen them before, so I don't want to endorse them yet.

Well, I guess I'll be the nay sayer.

I thought that Netflix would be neat but then considered how much I spend at Blockbusters. I quickly realized that, for me, a few month's of Netflix's monthly fees would pay for a couple years of what I would rent at Blockbusters (even with the occasional late fee).

I guess you don't watch too many movies. :) One movie a week costs about $10.00 for a month around here at Movie Gallery (if I assume two new releases and two oldies).... I can do that with Netflix for $8.99, and the selection is infinitely broader. (e.g. Cromwell and even A Man for All Seasons are not available at Movie Gallery, nor are most of the movies I actually want to watch)

I guess you don't watch too many movies. :) One movie a week costs about $10.00 for a month around here at Movie Gallery (if I assume two new releases and two oldies).... I can do that with Netflix for $8.99, and the selection is infinitely broader. (e.g. Cromwell and even A Man for All Seasons are not available at Movie Gallery, nor are most of the movies I actually want to watch)

My thoughts as well Todd.

I don't find much that I think is worth watching!

A few films I've always liked:

Glory -- I'm not sure if they are renting the "cleaned up" copy (it seems an edited copy was released for use in high school classrooms; there's one grisly seen at the beginning in a battle where someone comes out on the losing end of an encounter with a cannonball).

The Hunt for Red October -- I have always like this movie. I always try to watch it when it comes on TV. I finally broken down and bought a used DVD a few weeks ago. I haven't watched it yet, and I don't remember how bad the language may be.

Braveheart -- my wife is of Scottish descent, so she likes this. Of course, my ancestors are the ones oppressing hers in the movie, but I don't mention that...

Just as a note, we watched The Jane Austin Book Club this past weekend. It was a sorta chick-flick movie. Not that bad, except for some weird, awkward, and unneeded scenes with a lesbian character. It wasn't a horrible film, but not the best either. We gave it a 2.5 stars out of 5. If anything, it at least held up the standard of awkward social scenes in Austin's books. Another redeeming quality of it is that it upholds marriage, which is at least nice to see, however poorly they did it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back