New Commentary on Isaiah 40-55

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
Cruising through the new CBD catalog, I notice there's a new commentary out on Isaiah 40-55. The authors are John Goldingay and David Payne, and it's published in the ICC series put out by T&T Clark.

The kicker: it's a TWO-VOLUME commentary (2 hardbacks; total pages: 865) that CBD is selling for $134.98 - on 16 chapters of Isaiah.

Can you imagine? Nearly 900 pages on 16 chapters of the Bible? More, probably, than you could ever absorb - much less use - on some of the middle chapters of Isaiah. Is it any wonder that one of the main complaints about modern commentaries is that they're just books written by scholars for scholars? (Which would explain why Calvin and Henry are rarely out of print!)

I wonder if the choice of chapters means that the authors hold to a Deutero-Isaiah position?

Oy.

(Meanwhile, the first volume of Goldingay's 3-volume commentary on the Psalms is out in another series [Psalms 1-41].)

Cruising through the new CBD catalog, I notice there's a new commentary out on Isaiah 40-55. The authors are John Goldingay and David Payne, and it's published in the ICC series put out by T&T Clark.

David Payne, the General Manager of CNN? :wow:

:lol:

Goldingay's written a bundle of commentaries, and is at Fuller, I think.

The kicker: it's a TWO-VOLUME commentary (2 hardbacks; total pages: 865) that CBD is selling for $134.98 - on 16 chapters of Isaiah.

Can you imagine? Nearly 900 pages on 16 chapters of the Bible? More, probably, than you could ever absorb - much less use - on some of the middle chapters of Isaiah. Is it any wonder that one of the main complaints about modern commentaries is that they're just books written by scholars for scholars? (Which would explain why Calvin and Henry are rarely out of print!)

Heh... or you could have Manton's ~2000 pages on one chapter (albeit a long one), or Jenkyn's 350 pages on the 25 verses of Jude, or... long commentaries aren't bad, of course, but they're nothing new. Of course the old commentaries usually have a bit more depth than the modern exercises in dickering around with language do.

I wonder if the choice of chapters means that the authors hold to a Deutero-Isaiah position?

Got me on that one. I don't know anything about these two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back