Not Without My Daughter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay Mrs. Moody you should know better than marry the Iron Sheik, M.D. and go off to Iran with your American daughter -- in an Islamic country no less -- and wonder why they treat women like dirt. Lesson learned.
:)
 
Ryan, The event happened years before the ideals of middle eastern families became widely known (If I'm timing it right-80s?). In fact, around the time that it happened, many romance novels were being written romanticizing relationships with middle eastern men.

Andrew, I have the book, it's a good read...I missed the movie when they played it on tv years ago. Another good one is "Unveiled", only this one is about a middle eastern woman.
 
Originally posted by LadyFlynt
Ryan, The event happened years before the ideals of middle eastern families became widely known (If I'm timing it right-80s?). In fact, around the time that it happened, many romance novels were being written romanticizing relationships with middle eastern men.

Andrew, I have the book, it's a good read...I missed the movie when they played it on tv years ago. Another good one is "Unveiled", only this one is about a middle eastern woman.

I remember my mom reading that book in the 1980s and I saw the movie shortly thereafter... I know I was young-un in the 1980s -- but I remember seeing the images of hostages in the Middle East -- ski-masked lunatics, airline hijackings that led to Lockerbie, and nutty political protests-- I just don't quite get the impression of how any characters over there could be envisioned as some debonair Middle-Eastern version of Rhett Butler ready to sweep a Western women off their feet with promises of jeweled riches and camel rides. The "ideals" were as known then as they are now. And Islamic societies stood out as repressed, closed societies with political repression, violence and a low status for women. If anything they were not as liberal and open back in the 1980s as they are now. Unless, one is framing their glimpse of the Middle East by watching Walt Disney's Aladdin, I honestly don't see how anyone, least of all a woman, could expect anything less than repression for going over there-- particularly as a Christian woman.

Maybe, I don't get it because I'm a guy and was a little kid in 80s.

[Edited on 8-21-2005 by Puritanhead]
 
LOL...yes and no!

I was a kid in the 80s also...looking at your pic, I'd guess I'm older though. I was also a military brat and only remember a few hijackings but that was it.

As far as gender, you are right. Young females are easily suseptible to "romantic notions" and things geared toward females encourage it. And yes, that is how middle eastern men were portrayed at the time (blame my grandmother, I was getting hand me down harlequins at age 12!)
 
Originally posted by LadyFlynt
Andrew, I have the book, it's a good read...I missed the movie when they played it on tv years ago. Another good one is "Unveiled", only this one is about a middle eastern woman.

Can you tell me more? Sounds interesting!

Some other fascinating read along these lines:

Terrorist Hunter : The Extraordinary Story of a Woman Who Went Undercover to Infiltrate the Radical Islamic Groups Operating in America by Anonymous

The Rage and The Pride by Oriana Fallaci

Princess: A True Story of Life Behind the Veil in Saudi Arabia by Jean Sasson

At Any Price : How America Betrayed My Kidnapped Daughters for Saudi Oil by Patricia Roush
 
Excellent movie, especially the end when Sally and daughter are heading down the empty street to freedom!
 
Originally posted by LadyFlynt
I was a kid in the 80s also...looking at your pic, I'd guess I'm older though.
...
And yes, that is how middle eastern men were portrayed at the time (blame my grandmother, I was getting hand me down harlequins at age 12!)

I probably look like I am still 12 years-old in my pictures.
 
:P Nah, you don't look 12...college aged...not older than 25? (shutting up before I stick the other foot in my mouth!)


UNVEILED Cherry Mosteshar
Editorial Reviews
Amazon.com
An unflinching look at modern Iran from a woman's viewpoint-- under the veil. Mosteshar, born in Iran but educated in the West at Oxford, returns as an Islamic bride to the country of her birth, only to find herself at the mercy of a society in which she has lost her status and rights, where she is valued as but half a man. Chilling, informative, and fury-fueled, this book pulls back the curtain hiding the shocking picture of female oppression.--This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

From Publishers Weekly
Although born in Iran, Mosteshar, a journalist who has worked as a correspondent for leading British periodicals, was educated at Oxford. On periodic visits to her homeland, she lived as a member of Iran's wealthy elite until the Shah was overthrown in 1979. This anecdotal and somewhat disjointed memoir describes the changes that took place after the religious revolution, both in her personal life and in the lives of Iranian women. Initially sympathetic to the goal of revolutionary forces to address the needs of the poor, Mosteshar became disillusioned when her father was called a CIA agent, her personal fortune was confiscated and women's civil rights were stripped away. For reasons the author does not make clear, she married a poor Iranian who stole her money, raped her and lied about his divorce from his first wife, whom Mosteshar supported financially. After much hardship, she escaped from this relationship and now lives in England, fearing retribution should she return to Iran. Photos not seen by PW.
Copyright 1996 Reed Business Information, Inc.--This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top