Odd but sincere question concerning the sabbath

Status
Not open for further replies.

jogri17

Puritan Board Junior
When I first joined Puritan board a while ago I must confess I was a recouvering antinomian. However sence then by my reading, studying of scripture and most recently a sermon series by my pastor on the 10 commandments I have been convicted that I really don't get the sabbath. I went from near anti-nominian to not eating on sundays (not good because of my epilepsy) and for the longest time I just didn't care. After my pastor's recent sermons I thought it wise to run by a few things to get your thoughts on. So I shall list several things that I usually do on Sunday in order of what I do and you can just tell me why you think it is ok or not.

1. wake up early on sunday morning to pray and prepare myself spiritually before church. If I have some extra time I have been known to throw in a Simpsons DVD.

2. Take the bus to church.

3. Go to get a cup of café because I want to make sure I am awake for the sermon. I usually go to Tim Hortons but I just get the café because I do not own a machine (they are expensive).

4. Arrive at Church 30 minutes early to get my favourite spot and just read my Bible or another spiritual book (usually with my IPOD on to the latest White Hoarse Inn podcast release).

5. Help the pastor and his family with things if there is a need.

6. Chat with persons as they enter and welcome visitors with my misserable French.

7. After the sevice we have a social think in the basement. I snack, drink some juice, talk with people and play with the children.

8. Either I eat at a home in the church or I go back to my dorm room and eat a sandwich. If I have no food and I forgot to go shopping I will see if there is a vending machine with decent food. If not I will go to the grocery store.

9. I type my sermon notes on my computer and read for a few hours. I do not own a tv so if I wish to do something of that sort I will play a dvd on my macbook or watch something LEGALLY online.

10. I may go for a walk or run or go to a park and listen to some music and just swing at the playground for an hour or so.

11. At 7:00 we have a second service thing where its not a complete service rather its we sing (both psalms and hymns) and do a meditation of scripture between the songs.

12. At around 7:30 we do a bible study for older persons and the younger group studies the Heidleberg Catechism (yes in French!)

13. I go home OR hang out with the other students at a house and we watch a movie.

14. Bed after Bible devotions from the ESV Study Bible and Valley of Vision.

Thank you!
 
Apply the principles and make your own decisions. Listen to your conscience. If someone in my church asked me as you have I would refuse to answer except by going over the principles of the Lord's Day and leaving them to apply them for themselves.

The question is never 'is it right to do x on the Lord's Day', it is always 'what SHOULD I do on the Lord's Day'. You'll find plenty of answers to that question here.

Blessings!
 
Most interesting list. I would agree with the previous response that I wouldn't prescribe specific activities outside of the ones you mentioned except for the Simpsons DVD and the movies. Bottom line is that if you don't think the Lord would bless those activities is to scrap them as soon as possible. I would also say that any activity that detracts from bringing glory to the Lord should be removed as well.

I think you have a pretty good routine and would exhort you to keep up the diligence to "make your calling and election sure. 2 Peter 1:10. God bless, brother.
 
You may find helpful a thread on practical application of the sabbath here on Puritan Board:http://www.puritanboard.com/f25/pruned-sabbath-dos-donts-35563/

Also, if you do a search (upper right) you may also find some helpful application on this topic which comes up regularly.

The best summary of the doctrine of Scripture I know of is that of the standards you subscribe to.

The Scripture proofs, as you pray, study and meditate on them will helpful as you settle convictions on this:

Westminster Confession of Faith

Chapter XXI
Of Religious Worship, and the Sabbath Day

VIII. This Sabbath is to be kept holy unto the Lord when men, after a due preparing of their hearts, and ordering of their common affairs beforehand, do not only observe an holy rest all the day from their own works, words, and thoughts about their wordly employments and recreations,[38] but also are taken up the whole time in the public and private exercises of His worship, and in the duties of necessity and mercy.[39]

Scripture proofs

[38] EXO 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. EXO 16:23 And he said unto them, This is that which the Lord hath said, To morrow is the rest of the holy sabbath unto the Lord: bake that which ye will bake to day, and seethe that ye will seethe; and that which remaineth over lay up for you to be kept until the morning. 25 And Moses said, Eat that to day; for to day is a sabbath unto the Lord: to day ye shall not find it in the field. 26 Six days ye shall gather it; but on the seventh day, which is the sabbath, in it there shall be none. 29 See, for that the Lord hath given you the sabbath, therefore he giveth you on the sixth day the bread of two days; abide ye every man in his place, let no man go out of his place on the seventh day. 30 So the people rested on the seventh day. 31:15 Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the Lord: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death. 16 Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant. 17 It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed. ISA 58:13 If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the Lord, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words. NEH 13:15 In those days saw I in Judah some treading wine presses on the sabbath, and bringing in sheaves, and lading asses; as also wine, grapes, and figs, and all manner of burdens, which they brought into Jerusalem on the sabbath day: and I testified against them in the day wherein they sold victuals. 16 There dwelt men of Tyre also therein, which brought fish, and all manner of ware, and sold on the sabbath unto the children of Judah, and in Jerusalem. 17 Then I contended with the nobles of Judah, and said unto them, What evil thing is this that ye do, and profane the sabbath day? 18 Did not your fathers thus, and did not our God bring all this evil upon us, and upon this city? yet ye bring more wrath upon Israel by profaning the sabbath. 19 And it came to pass, that when the gates of Jerusalem began to be dark before the sabbath, I commanded that the gates should be shut, and charged that they should not be opened till after the sabbath: and some of my servants set I at the gates, that there should no burden be brought in on the sabbath day. 21 Then I testified against them, and said unto them, Why lodge ye about the wall? if ye do so again, I will lay hands on you. From that time forth came they no more on the sabbath. 22 And I commanded the Levites that they should cleanse themselves, and that they should come and keep the gates, to sanctify the sabbath day. Remember me, O my God, concerning this also, and spare me according to the greatness of thy mercy.

[39] ISA 58:13 If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the Lord, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top