Older Commentaries on Luke

Status
Not open for further replies.

panicbird

Puritan Board Freshman
What are some good, older commentaries on the Gospel of Luke? I am aware of the newer ones (Bock, Green, etc.), but what about pre-1950 commentaries on that Gospel? Spurgeon lists Foote, Godet, Oosterzee, Thomson, and Van Doren as his recommended Lukan commentaries. Does anyone have any experience with any of these?

Any help would be appreciated.

Lon

Norval Geldenhuys in the first NICNT series.

I don't think there were any Puritan works outside of the standard annotations. That would be why Spurgeon only mentioned 19th century men.

I am not sure why. Perhaps they thought they would be reduplicating by commenting on another gospel. If you read Poole on Mark, most of the time you are being referred to the commentary on Matthew. J. A. Alexander complains in the Introduction to Mark that the Gospel had not received (up to the time he wrote) a fair treatment as an independent book of Scripture with its own message.

These New Testament commentaries and Gospel Harmonies referenced by Spurgeon are worth considering too, and these historical sermons on passages from Luke may also be useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back