One PBer. Can you top that?

How many PBers have you met so far?

  • 0

    Votes: 33 37.5%
  • 1 - 5

    Votes: 42 47.7%
  • 6 - 10

    Votes: 9 10.2%
  • 11 - 25

    Votes: 4 4.5%
  • 25 - 100

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • >100

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    88
Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in Louisana. Fort Polk is about an hour west of me and I am in that general area all the time on business.
Cool. It'd be great to meet you.

Looks like the trip to Fort Polk will be down the road a bit. Last I've heard, my next trip will take me to Fort Bragg, NC. I wonder how far that is from Jay. (it'd be awesome if it worked out that the trip coincided with the Psalm sing).

Anybody else live in the Fort Bragg area?
 
in person:
Michael Butterfield (Michael Butterfield)
David King (DTK)
Fred Greco (fredtgreco)
Carl Robbins (Carl Robbins)
Jason Button (bwana-asafiwe)
Kevin Easterday (kceaster)
Liam Galligan (liamg)
Ruben Zartman (py3ak)
Heidi Zartman (a mere housewife)
Jim Thompson (puritanmind03)
Scott Clark (R. Scott Clark)
Jeff Wyman (jawyman)

by phone:
Paul Manata (Paul manata)
Jacob Aitken (Ivanhoe)

called his radio show--doesn't really count:
Gene Cook (unchainedradio)


If I left anyone off, I'll add ya.
 
Last edited:
I have not met any yet, but then again I am new to the board. I have found out that several either live close by, or have ties to southern Mississippi. My wife has family in Virginia, we are hoping to be able to visit them again during the summer. I work out of Louisiana, and that is about the extent of my travels.
 
I count at least 13 thus far:

Rich (SemperFideles)
Jay Sulzmann (jaybird0827)
Beth Sulzmann (Homemaker)
Jessica Myers (HuguenotHelpMeet)
Steve Wamble (street preacher)
Colleen Wamble (Lady Flynt)
John Hill (govols)
Joel (Covenant Joel)
Grace Knox (lv1nothr)
Joe Mangum (Layman Joe)
Kevin Barrow (Catechist)
Diane (Lady Calvinist)
Greg Fox (PresReformed)

It was my pleasure to meet Matt Vaughan (Bondman) at church today.
 
It was my pleasure to meet Matt Vaughan (Bondman) at church today.

The pleasure was all mine sir. I am very glad to have been able to make the trip. The sermon that I heard today was the greatest I have ever heard in my life. No exaggeration. Needless to say, I'll be spending alot of time on sermonaudio.com in the future.
 
I'm pretty sure I've met 11 in-person, and 12 if you count phone-calls (chronologically-ordered):

From my initial coming to my church in 2004:
1. John Schultz ("jfschultz")
2. Mike Butterfield ("Michael Butterfield")

From the conference at First Pres in Jackson in 2005:
3. Fred Greco ("fredtgreco")
4. Patrick Severson ("Puritan Sailor")
5. Josh Hicks ("joshua")
6. Jacob Aitken ("Draught Horse")
7. Daniel Pope ("FrozenChosen")
8. Anne Severson ("sailorswife")

From a phone conversation this past summer:
9. Scott Clark ("R. Scott Clark")

From visiting and worshipping at their church on my vacation this past summer:
10. Scott Bushey ("Scott Bushey")
11. Matt McMahon ("C. Matthew McMahon")

From him visiting my church this past school-year:
12. Tyler Upchurch ("polemic_turtle")
 
I'm from Canada, and thus there are not really many people I can meet. I've talked to JOwen (Jerrold Lewis) online using audio, and I visited the church he use to pastor here in Edmonton. Poimen (Daniel Kok) lives in the same city as me (well, he lives in a different city, but they are basically connected) so maybe one day I will run into him? Other then that, nope!

I just found another guy from Edmonton on the board!: Bert Mulder. Maybe the three of us will one day cross paths?
 
Last edited:
The pleasure was all mine sir. I am very glad to have been able to make the trip. The sermon that I heard today was the greatest I have ever heard in my life. No exaggeration. Needless to say, I'll be spending alot of time on sermonaudio.com in the future.

Now you know why we have ppl driving from between 3hrs-5hrs away to church :D It is worth every bit.
 
The pleasure was all mine sir. I am very glad to have been able to make the trip. The sermon that I heard today was the greatest I have ever heard in my life. No exaggeration. Needless to say, I'll be spending alot of time on sermonaudio.com in the future.

Matthew - I've heard a lot about you. Delighted to hear that you made it down there as planned. Be sure to check out Pastor Timothy Worrell's sermons, too. We had a really good one on Isaiah 52-53 yesterday for communion.

Also I spent quite a bit of time visiting with Chris at the fellowship meal following.

Looking forward to meeting you in person. You'll have to come down to see your cousins, some time, right?
 
I've truly met all who's post's I have read. And anyone who has read my posts have met me.
:)

But in person I have not met any that I know of. If anyone is in the Tri-Cities area of Tennessee (Kingsport, Johnson City, Bristol) then I'd live to meet in person. But please let me know in advance so I can look up you posts again. That way I can connect the person I know (though reading their thoughts) to the physical husk that contains the person. ;)

Just thinking about this:

Say I met someone in person who posts on the board. And we talk about the weather and small talk and all the polite subjects ("How was your trip? I hope you are enjoying your visit to Jonesborough. Etc.). But during that time, I never determine that the physical person is also the PB poster who has written some really insightful posts and who I have corresponded with on several subjects. Can you say that before I met the person physically, that I did not know who he was? Did I really know him only after meeting him physically? Or maybe the way I really know him, is through my interactions with him on this board. And in fact, my meeting him in person, did not really enhance my knowledge of him and I met him long before I met him in person.
 
ChristianTrader (Hermonta Godwin - my roommate)
Monergism (Brett Barkley)

And at least three others who are not very active, and can't remember their screennames.
 
Say I met someone in person who posts on the board. And we talk about the weather and small talk and all the polite subjects ("How was your trip? I hope you are enjoying your visit to Jonesborough. Etc.). But during that time, I never determine that the physical person is also the PB poster who has written some really insightful posts and who I have corresponded with on several subjects. Can you say that before I met the person physically, that I did not know who he was? Did I really know him only after meeting him physically? Or maybe the way I really know him, is through my interactions with him on this board. And in fact, my meeting him in person, did not really enhance my knowledge of him and I met him long before I met him in person.
I can only speak from my experience meeting JohnV, but I'd be surprised if you met somebody in person and it didn't enhance your knowledge of him/her. When I met JohnV, I felt like I knew him already because of the PB, but there's much more to JohnV (or any PBer) than what he chooses to put into writing.

Bob
 
Bob's right. Only I don't know how he knows that. I tried not to show him that side. I only let my good side show on the Board, and was on my best behaviour that Sunday. How'd you know Bob?

Seriously: I met Bob, as well as some others, and it is such a joy to meet someone with whom you have had these posty converstations. There is a bond there already, and you don't have to talk about the mundane things just to find something to talk about. I mean, I ask how the trip was because I am interested in what is important to him.

And yet it is also a new acquaintance in another respect. Bob was still a stranger to me, in that I knew nothing of his mannerisms or physical expression and stuff like that. For that matter, I didn't know if he liked soup, and that's what we always have on Sundays. We were expecting him, and I was a bit nervous about meeting him for the first time. That's the way it was with all the ones I met, except for a couple of them whom I knew before the PB came into existence.

Anthony, this question of yours has given me pause for thought. It is indeed an interesting question.
 
Matthew - I've heard a lot about you. Delighted to hear that you made it down there as planned. Be sure to check out Pastor Timothy Worrell's sermons, too. We had a really good one on Isaiah 52-53 yesterday for communion.

Also I spent quite a bit of time visiting with Chris at the fellowship meal following.

Looking forward to meeting you in person. You'll have to come down to see your cousins, some time, right?

Mr. Sulzmann,

And I, you. I have already made sure that Pastor Worrel's sermons are on sermon audio and hope to listen to them as well as Pastor Dilday's. If the Lord is willing, I would love to visit as soon as possible. Actually, the tentative long term plan is to relocate to the Carolinas as well. But you can be sure that I'll be attending the PRC if ever that time comes. :pray2:
 
Bob's right. Only I don't know how he knows that. I tried not to show him that side. I only let my good side show on the Board, and was on my best behaviour that Sunday. How'd you know Bob?
You remember when I went into the bathroom to wash my hands before lunch? Well, I turned the water on and let it run, then put my ear to the door...
 
You remember when I went into the bathroom to wash my hands before lunch? Well, I turned the water on and let it run, then put my ear to the door...

What I say in the water closet doesn't count. It never does. No fair.
 
Anthony, this question of yours has given me pause for thought. It is indeed an interesting question.

Thanks. That was my intention.

The issue is related to how we can know Christ, and also why many Puritans avoid making images Jesus. There are elements about people that we can learn from meeting them. But some of that information could distract from who we think that person is. Appearance, mannerisms, accents, things that don't come across in writing. Some of these things reflect the real person, and some distract from the real person.

Someone may be shy in person, and bold on-line - which is the most real? It is possible that our on-line persona's are more true then the one we portray to people we are around physically. Or maybe the opposite it true.

There are disabilities which can muddle and slur a person's speech, yet not effect his mind. When you meet such a person, you might (understandable) think that his mental acuity is very low. Even if you try to avoid passing judgment, it could take a great deal of time before you get past outward appearance to see into the real person.

Quite people are often thought to be somewhat self-righteous. A talk-a-tive person might be considered flighty. Blonds - well we all know the blond jokes. a Southerner might be thought to have a lower IQ, and Asians a higher one. There are lots of things to effect how we view people we have a physical image of. And it doesn't seem to be a good gage in many cases.

Me, if you met me, you'd immediately assume I am a member of Mensa and a extreme sports guru. This personally intoxicating image would surely mislead people into believing everything I say. But those who read my posts know better. (Just to be sure, please know I am joking about my personal image.)

I think the Scriptures is a means by which we know Christ. And any image we might have of him, no matter how accurate, would simply distract from what we think we know. If I could produce a perfect likeness of Christ, essential a photograph of the man Jesus, would that be good or bad.

If I could see Jesus myself, and spend a day following him around, and learned the sound of his voice, and the way he walked, and the foods he enjoyed, and many other interesting things, would that not just distract from the true and perfect knowledge of Christ - the Word of God - whom I know through the Bible? With the exception of any words He spoke, would not the knowledge that I might gain from physically spending a day with Jesus be nothing more than worldly knowledge, where the words of the Scripture, are they not true spiritual knowledge?

Any thoughts? I know, this is really sidetracking the thread. I'm just off on a merry tangent. :coffee:

P.S. I was also thinking of the rock band Queen and Freddie Mercury. Doesn't Freddie Mercury's appearance really blow your image of him from hearing Bohemian Rhapsody? (Assuming you heard the song and never saw what he looked like.) Not that you can learn a great deal about him from the song. But our minds build images of people that we haven't seen. And the images are usually false. But then, the real image seems to convey less truth than our imagined image. Images in general seem to be a problem since they mean different things to different people.

Something to stick in your pipe. :detective:
 
Anthony:

I think it is worth a discussion. Maybe a moderator can split this thread. Or we can start another.
 
I've met Matt and Scott.

I'm pretty sure that's it, unless I've met others unaware.
 
Met Randy Snyder. Wish I could grow a beard like his. (I can grow one, but not as thick as his. In my younger days, it was Scottish Red. Now parts of it are turning grey as I approach 37 years young).

Do I want to meet any other PBers? It depends. Timing is one thing. Pursuing a home job is another (which would leave many others out of the loop).

However, before I stay home permanently, I would love to meet up with Fred Greco. He may live outside of Houston now, but both of us are from the Buffalo (NY) area. After all, why not get together with a fellow Sabres fan?
 
Originally Posted by VirginiaHuguenot
I count at least 13 thus far:

Rich (SemperFideles)
Jay Sulzmann (jaybird0827)
Beth Sulzmann (Homemaker)
Jessica Myers (HuguenotHelpMeet)
Steve Wamble (street preacher)
Colleen Wamble (Lady Flynt)
John Hill (govols)
Joel (Covenant Joel)
Grace Knox (lv1nothr)
Joe Mangum (Layman Joe)
Kevin Barrow (Catechist)
Diane (Lady Calvinist)
Greg Fox (PresReformed)

It was my pleasure to meet Matt Vaughan (Bondman) at church today.

It was a real blessing to meet Chris Mangum (mangum) and his family at the PRC Psalm Sing in Charlotte yesterday. :pilgrim:
 
Beth Sulzmann (Homemaker) - she's my wife!
Andrew Myers (VirginiaHuguenot)
Jessica Myers (HuguenotHelpMeet)
Jeff George (Providenceboard)
Kevin Barrow (Catechist)
Chris Mangum (mangum)
Joe Mangum (Layman Joe)
Nick Napier (nicnap)
Tom McArdle (gravertom)

Greg Fox (PresReformed)
Matthew Vaughan (bondman) - added 03/11/07

11 in all.
 
Last edited:
Originally Posted by VirginiaHuguenot
Originally Posted by VirginiaHuguenot
I count at least 13 thus far:

Rich (SemperFideles)
Jay Sulzmann (jaybird0827)
Beth Sulzmann (Homemaker)
Jessica Myers (HuguenotHelpMeet)
Steve Wamble (street preacher)
Colleen Wamble (Lady Flynt)
John Hill (govols)
Joel (Covenant Joel)
Grace Knox (lv1nothr)
Joe Mangum (Layman Joe)
Kevin Barrow (Catechist)
Diane (Lady Calvinist)
Greg Fox (PresReformed)

It was my pleasure to meet Matt Vaughan (Bondman) at church today.

It was a real blessing to meet Chris Mangum (mangum) and his family at the PRC Psalm Sing in Charlotte yesterday. :pilgrim:

It was a blessing to see Jeff George (Providenceboard) and his family at church today. :pilgrim:
 
It was a pleasure to meet Shanna (MrsHinrichs) and part of her family at church today. :pilgrim: Welcome to the Commonwealth of Virginia!

17 PB members total.
 
Show off! (and beat me to it...mutter, mutter ;) )

I was so thrilled to meet Jared and Shanna in person (and their little girl is so sweet!)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top