Oops! Public Apology

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMcFadden

Puritanboard Commissioner
It is so easy to become glib and careless in our use of the internet. Tonight, after returning from my son’s hospital room in the Ozarks, I received a new e-mail from Dr. Mouw. He objected to the tone and substance of some posts where I had mentioned him.

He corrected me, noting: "one, I have absolutely no sympathy for relativism; two, I not only subscribe whole-heartedly to the Heidelberger, the Belgic Confession and the Canons of Dordrecht, but--if you had checked beyond some silliness in a newspaper article about me--you would see that I have written at length in defense of the theology contained therein."

So, for the record: “Dr. Mouw, please forgive my failure to treat you as a brother and to extend to you a generous and charitable interpretation of your words. My lack of respect was wrong, inappropriate, and I will make an effort to correct it in the future.”

It is so easy to assume the worst of those with whom we disagree. Belittling, demeaning, and generally bad-mouthing brothers is unbecoming and unchristian.

And I suppose being under much stress concerning your son's critical condition makes it harder to handle other ppl. Your humility towards your fellow brother is well noted and taken as example. Have a blessed Sabbath!

Dr. Mouw graciously accepted my apology in an e-mail this morning.

I do not back away from any of my factual observations based on experience with hundreds of FTS educated ordinands and books written by FTS faculty. However, it is a helpful reminder that we are called to a higher level of discourse with those who are our sisters and brothers when we "take them on" in print.

[BTW, Sarah, could catch nurse, about the emotional state of a family amid a medical crisis. After the emotional extremes of this last week, both my wife and I are strolling in the "slough of despond" this morning and kind of feel as if we had been "run over by a truck." You can certainly pray for all of us!]

Thank you for your witness of humility. May we all grow in grace because of it.

[BTW, Sarah, could catch nurse, about the emotional state of a family amid a medical crisis. After the emotional extremes of this last week, both my wife and I are strolling in the "slough of despond" this morning and kind of feel as if we had been "run over by a truck." You can certainly pray for all of us!]

:pray2:

Praying the you and your wife will know the grace and comfort of the Lord during this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back