OPC vs. PCA

Discussion in 'Church Order' started by InevitablyReformed, May 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lwadkins

lwadkins Puritan Board Junior

A good resource for understanding the historical differences and the way in which they came about, is "Seeking a Better Country" by DG Hart and John Muether. It is a very good survey of historical Presbyterianism in the US.

2. Glenn Ferrell

Glenn Ferrell Puritan Board Junior

Though the OPC constitutional documents definitely indicate a three office view, the general quality and dedication of OPC ruling elders is to be admired. They tend to be theologically literate, diligent and competent participants in the courts of the church, with an informed regard for the church’s ministry, confessions, discipline and government. At an OPC General Assembly, it is difficult to tell the difference between a teaching and ruling elder when they are speaking on the floor, except ruling elders often seem to possess a little more maturity and wisdom. In actual practice, there is much greater parity between teaching and ruling elders in the OPC.

3. Glenn Ferrell

Some of these questions are debated because of a higher regard for the Regulative Principle in the OPC.

4. Virginia Marine

Virginia Marine Puritan Board Freshman

Thanks. I understand "why" the debates occured, I was just commenting on our experience... I probably should have been more gracious as to the "reasons" for the discussions than I wrote...

5. Glenn Ferrell

I didn't regard your observation as ungracious. I’m making a similar observation.

Being a Southerner with PCUS roots, I’m culturally more in tune with the PCA. However, I believe pragmatism sometimes guides their public worship as much as the Regulative Principle. Thus, less uniformity in the PCA than the OPC. And, in my humble opinion, the OPC needs greater adherence to a Directory for Worship than currently prevails.

In OPC ordination vows, the candidate affirms belief in the infallibility of the Scriptures, receives and adopts the Confession and Catechisms, and approves “of the government, discipline and worship of the church.” I haven’t looked for a while, but I don’t believe there is a similar vow approving “the worship” of the PCA. Can one even speak of “the worship” of the PCA? And, though OPC ministers and ruling elders take this vow, does one observe signs of such approval in the ordering of public worship within the bounds of the Directory for Worship? More uniformity than in the broader PCA, but less than one would expect. Pragmatism, tradition and taste creep in. I’m pleased to observe any congregation and session taking the RPW seriously.

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  6. Virginia Marine

Glenn,
    Agree! BTW, your pic is motivating...
    Semper Fi,
    Jay

7. Backwoods Presbyterian

Backwoods Presbyterian Puritan Board Doctor

Glad to see the Marines on this board, Semper Fi VA.

8. Virginia Marine

Ooh Rah!

9. Backwoods Presbyterian

Backwoods Presbyterian Puritan Board Doctor

That says a lot right there...

10. Marrow Man

Marrow Man Drunk with Powder

This is true with regard to said prof. Having taken his systematic theology class, Shepherd's book was required reading. Having, the prof (I'm assuming we are not mentioning names?) did not push NPP or FV in class, although he did mention in passing that he favors paedo-communion. He did not teach any of these theological views in class, however.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.