OPC vs. PCA

Status
Not open for further replies.
A good resource for understanding the historical differences and the way in which they came about, is "Seeking a Better Country" by DG Hart and John Muether. It is a very good survey of historical Presbyterianism in the US.

There is more of a parity between ruling and teaching elders in the PCA.

Though the OPC constitutional documents definitely indicate a three office view, the general quality and dedication of OPC ruling elders is to be admired. They tend to be theologically literate, diligent and competent participants in the courts of the church, with an informed regard for the church’s ministry, confessions, discipline and government. At an OPC General Assembly, it is difficult to tell the difference between a teaching and ruling elder when they are speaking on the floor, except ruling elders often seem to possess a little more maturity and wisdom. In actual practice, there is much greater parity between teaching and ruling elders in the OPC.

1) The OPC tends to debate things to death :think:. Just a couple of items we got caught up in included: whether we could have a choir (and if so where would it be positioned in the church); Psalter or Hymnal; wine or grape juice (or both) for communion (note - this topic almost caused a couple of people to leave our church)...

Some of these questions are debated because of a higher regard for the Regulative Principle in the OPC.

1) The OPC tends to debate things to death :think:. Just a couple of items we got caught up in included: whether we could have a choir (and if so where would it be positioned in the church); Psalter or Hymnal; wine or grape juice (or both) for communion (note - this topic almost caused a couple of people to leave our church)...

Some of these questions are debated because of a higher regard for the Regulative Principle in the OPC.

Thanks. I understand "why" the debates occured, I was just commenting on our experience... I probably should have been more gracious as to the "reasons" for the discussions than I wrote...

Thanks. I understand "why" the debates occured, I was just commenting on our experience... I probably should have been more gracious as to the "reasons" for the discussions than I wrote...

I didn't regard your observation as ungracious. I’m making a similar observation.

Being a Southerner with PCUS roots, I’m culturally more in tune with the PCA. However, I believe pragmatism sometimes guides their public worship as much as the Regulative Principle. Thus, less uniformity in the PCA than the OPC. And, in my humble opinion, the OPC needs greater adherence to a Directory for Worship than currently prevails.

In OPC ordination vows, the candidate affirms belief in the infallibility of the Scriptures, receives and adopts the Confession and Catechisms, and approves “of the government, discipline and worship of the church.” I haven’t looked for a while, but I don’t believe there is a similar vow approving “the worship” of the PCA. Can one even speak of “the worship” of the PCA? And, though OPC ministers and ruling elders take this vow, does one observe signs of such approval in the ordering of public worship within the bounds of the Directory for Worship? More uniformity than in the broader PCA, but less than one would expect. Pragmatism, tradition and taste creep in. I’m pleased to observe any congregation and session taking the RPW seriously.

Last edited:
Andrew, brother, I write as a great admirer of the ARP. My chief mentor was one of its most visible ministers. But, you are naive if you think the ARP is unaffected by the current controversy. Witness one of your primary seminary prof's unreserved testimonial to Norman Shepherd on the back cover of the Call of Grace, and then look at some of his other writings.

To say the OPC is similiarly immune is also false.

We all have this problem, and we all have to deal with it.

This is true with regard to said prof. Having taken his systematic theology class, Shepherd's book was required reading. Having, the prof (I'm assuming we are not mentioning names?) did not push NPP or FV in class, although he did mention in passing that he favors paedo-communion. He did not teach any of these theological views in class, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back