PCA GA at Disney

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it's not exactly as if the convention is being held in the Magic Kingdom. . .

I'm sure we could find something objectionable about any large convention hotel.
Not the Magic Kingdom, but right in the heart of the Animal Kingdom. Definitely a WDW owned and operated park hotel.

Now, it's not actually in the Animal Kingdom either, is it? It's right outside the gates, if I remember correctly.
From the Coronado Springs Hotel website:

This Resort is located in the Disney's Animal Kingdom® Park area.

Ken, why would a Southern Baptist like AM want to go away from his own palacial digs at Southern?

As to the issue of venue, my guess is . . . because the old people like resorts that have luxury?

You Gen Xers and Millennials would probably be happy camping out in a parking lot. It is no accident that the percentage of people who prefer cruises for vacation (as opposed to camping) increases with age. And, unless the PCA is very different, gray hair (and the absence of all hair) predominates at denominational gatherings. If your pre-schoolers were planning the event, it would be in the Chuck-e-Cheese.

And, conference planners try to balance a multitude of variables such as airfare, hotel costs, number of perks the hotel "tosses in" or "comps" to the sponsoring group, access to breakaway rooms, intrinsic interest in the site as a destination (tends to increase attendance). You paedos already save a ton on water, what are you complaining about? At least you belong to a "real" denomination, not the Mickey Mouse mainline one I used to hail from in my ABC days! :lol:

Not the Magic Kingdom, but right in the heart of the Animal Kingdom. Definitely a WDW owned and operated park hotel.

Now, it's not actually in the Animal Kingdom either, is it? It's right outside the gates, if I remember correctly.
From the Coronado Springs Hotel website:

This Resort is located in the Disney's Animal Kingdom® Park area.

Right, but it's not actually in the park, just in the area. I'm not sure how much difference that makes, but -- aside from its location -- Coronado Springs is a fairly normal conference hotel.

:ditto:, which is the primary reason why I think it best to hold off. Of course, the prices may very well be too outrageous. So, if its the $$$ that we're discussing fine, but if it's the goofiness and lavishness of Disney corporation, it is yet to be shown that R.C, PCA, & Company will be riding Magic Mountain together before the Call to Worship. :D

Thank you, you guys act like they are holding the meetings at the front gate of space mountain or Peter Pan's ride, Yikes gimme a break. If it is at a hotel ON the grounds of Disney property, so what big deal. Sometimes we can act so pharisee like. GA is always too expensive for me anyways never been to one so the cost problem is nothing new to me but having GA on the grounds of Disney is not even close to being wrong or inappropiate, you guys are way off. :rolleyes:

I'm not happy about it. It just seems inappropriate that the most serious deliberative body of my denomination, that is facing such fundamental challenges to it's integrity, should be meeting at an amusement park. But it appears to be a done deal, and I don't want to impugn anybody. If I have, or if I've offended anyone, I apologize. I think the best thing for me to do is take Josh's advice and leave the subject alone.

It will not be the first time my elders and brothers, to whom I have pledged my troth, have done things that have bewildered me, and it is likely not to be the last.

I'm not happy about it. It just seems inappropriate that the most serious deliberative body of my denomination, that is facing such fundamental challenges to it's integrity, should be meeting at an amusement park.

At an amusement park? or at a Hotel on grounds owned by the amusement park? There is nothing to be ashamed about brother, its just a hotel. But I agree with Josh, making prices unreachable for the common man is absurd and to be honest oppressing in my opinion. But that fact that they are using a hotel owned by the Disney corp. is nothing to start desperately skimming through the BCO and WCF over. :2cents:

Just a little info from someone who lives within 2 hours of Disney, and visits quite often: When you speak of "Disney World" you are talking about a "city" (Reedy Creek Improvement District) that is almost twice the size of Manhattan.

And when the Coronado Springs Hotel is described as being located in the "Animal Kingdom® Park area." that means it's near the Animal Kingdom park, NOT inside of the park. CSH is one of the more moderately priced resorts in WDW and because it's near Animal Kingdom, it's also in one of the more natural and unique settings in WDW, if not all of Orlando.

In Orlando (technically Kissimmee) you also have the Gaylord Palms (HUGE, nice hotel from the Opryland Hotel folks) If all things were equal (price, amenities, etc) I'd much rather be at the Coronado Springs Hotel. It's relatively quiet and the least commercial area of WDW.

Just my :2cents: worth.

Hang in there PCA folks, I don't think it's nearly as bad as it seems. :)

(I thought I had trust issues with my Synod / GA level leadership's decisions. :wow: :lol:)

Last edited:
I can't help but think that the critics are overreacting. As far as the prices being too expensive, I'll bet they're getting a huge discount from WDW considering the amount of people they will have there. Also, is it ever really affordable for the average family in the first place? I've never been.

Also, is it ever really affordable for the average family in the first place? I've never been.

Not really, but in spite of the expenses I have taken my family for the last three years. I grew up going there on vacation and I want my kids to experience the same joy I do when I think of Walt Disney World. My oldest daughter wants to live there. :lol:

Also, is it ever really affordable for the average family in the first place? I've never been.

Not really, but in spite of the expenses I have taken my family for the last three years. I grew up going there on vacation and I want my kids to experience the same joy I do when I think of Walt Disney World. My oldest daughter wants to live there. :lol:

:oops: LOL I think you misunderstood me brother and when I see how I worded my sentences I see that it is my fault! I meant "Is it really ever affordable to go to the places where the GA is being held?" I mean, really, those who don't want to make a vacation of it don't have to.

Just a little info from someone who lives within 2 hours of Disney, and visits quite often: When you speak of "Disney World" you are talking about a "city" (Reedy Creek Improvement District) that is almost twice the size of Manhattan.

And when the Coronado Springs Hotel is described as being located in the "Animal Kingdom® Park area." that means it's near the Animal Kingdom park, NOT inside of the park. CSH is one of the more moderately priced resorts in WDW and because it's near Animal Kingdom, it's also in one of the more natural and unique settings in WDW, if not all of Orlando.

In Orlando (technically Kissimmee) you also have the Gaylord Palms (HUGE, nice hotel from the Opryland Hotel folks) If all things were equal (price, amenities, etc) I'd much rather be at the Coronado Springs Hotel. It's relatively quiet and the least commercial area of WDW.

Just my :2cents: worth.

Hang in there PCA folks, I don't think it's nearly as bad as it seems. :)

(I thought I had trust issues with my Synod / GA level leadership's decisions. :wow: :lol:)

I live 45 minutes away, so maybe I can at least show up to the meetings and go back home haha :p

And thank you for sharing that because I think many people are not aware that Disney is not just a park anymore but a corp.

I have been shouting from the rooftops for years that we ought to go to a college campus like every other denomination our size (CRC, RCA). GA is goign to collapse under its own weight: not only cost, but size.

The PCA obviously wants to be taken seriously. One way they can demonstrate they are to be taken seriously is to hold their annual assemblies at "big boy" conference centers, etc. just like the oldliners/mainliners.

Meeting at some podunk Christian college doesn't fit the image the PCA is trying to project.

Maybe they need relaxation after last year with the FV. I mean it will make it harder to have heated discussion with Cinderella's palace in the backdrop...:think:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back