PCA Koreans

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not a new problem. In the Dutch Reformed Churches, Article 52 of the Church Order of Dordt, dealt with a similar problem. The Dutch Reformed had Walloon [French] speaking congregations as well as Friesian, Flemish, German and Dutch speaking congregations. Among other things this article provided for translation of the decisions of the various language assemblies into the other languages. The tower of babble continues to haunt us.

Although, the Dutch Reformed churches were predominantly dutch. When they came over here they established the RCA (wasn't known as the RCA back then). Frisian and Dutch are closely related (Just don't tell them that, they get upset). They both speak Dutch. I did research on the Dutch Reformed churches in America and they were in the majority of being Dutch. The old phrase still rings in some of these churches today, "if you're not Dutch, you're not much". The CRC was a break off of the RCA (some congregations got involved in Masonic Lodges), and the two primary congregations to do so were the Holland, Michigan and Pella, Iowa congregations. I wrote about it awhile back. It's not very good but might be informative to some. The CRCNA: Part 2 – History 1 | TrigaBlog

But, can the congregation rightly be said to have unity? Certainly, there may be doctrinal unity of teaching, top-down from the session, but is there a practical unity of shared experience when divided by language?

I am a member in such a church so I can at least comment about what we do. While usual preaching is separated in our case, English, Chinese, and Albanian, events like church meals and meetings are held together. Our youth group, women's group and men's groups are held together as well. Every time we admit new members we do it together in a joint service were the sermon is translate and projected over head in Chinese and Albanian.

Although, the Dutch Reformed churches were predominantly dutch. When they came over here they established the RCA (wasn't known as the RCA back then). Frisian and Dutch are closely related (Just don't tell them that, they get upset). They both speak Dutch. I did research on the Dutch Reformed churches in America and they were in the majority of being Dutch. The old phrase still rings in some of these churches today, "if you're not Dutch, you're not much". The CRC was a break off of the RCA (some congregations got involved in Masonic Lodges), and the two primary congregations to do so were the Holland, Michigan and Pella, Iowa congregations. I wrote about it awhile back. It's not very good but might be informative to some. The CRCNA: Part 2 – History 1 | TrigaBlog
Actually the language issue goes back to the Netherlands. Prior to Belgium's separation from the Netherlands; their were many Walloon congregations in the Reformed Church. They had separate classis from their Dutch, Deutsch and Flemish speaking neighboring congregations.
Andrew is correct the Friesian language congregations did not have their own classis. The issue of the relationship of Friesian to Dutch is complex. They have a large shared vocabulary but almost all linguists classify them as separate languages not diverse dialects.

I was hoping that some of our Korean Presbyterian brothers and sisters might be able to share their perspective on this. Any takers?

Instead of those speculating about what it's like it's too bad there aren't many people with practical firsthand experience with them.

I'm preaching at Korean Agape Church next week. I have been on the rotation at their 7 am Sunday Service for a few years now preaching about once every month or so. I love the brethren there. They are so kind to me. I prepare a sermon and I read a sentence at a time that is translated into English. They meet at a sister PCA Church (New Life in Christ) and we have regular fellowship with them.

I think it's always good to think about what can be done in one's own backyard rather than opining about the issue theoretically. If you are an Elder in a Presbytery that has a Korean Church in it then get to know the brethren and seek fellowship with them rather than wondering what's going on. Take an active interest. We've helped the Churches in our own to get the BCO in their language and establish a session.

If you are an Elder in a Presbytery that has a Korean Church in it

I am unclear as to what you are saying here. If the Anglophone presbytery has a Korean church in that presbytery, it isn't really what is being discussed in this thread. Or are you speaking of churches in Korean Presbyteries that are in the same geographical local as the Anglophone presbytery church, and suggesting increased interaction between the congregations in the separate presbyteries?

Sorry, been off the board for a while. Exceedingly busy. I meant that, if we have Korean Churches within our Presbyterian "borders" that we ought to reach out to them. It doesn't do well to wonder what they know or don't know. Get to know them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back