Phoenix anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notthemama1984

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
It looks like I will be in Phoenix from the 9th to the 15th. Any recommendations on sights or places to go?
 
There is a lot to do there. I lived there for almost ten years. Will you be confined to Phoenix? Will you have transportation?

If at all possible you must eat at Los Dos Molinos. Eat at the one in South Phx. It is at the foot of South Mountain in the hacienda that once was the home of Tom Mix. They serve the best chile relleños you will ever get in a restaurant.
 
I LOVE Mexi food.

I hope to have a rental car. I will not be confined to Phoenix. I am flying into Phoenix, but I think I am staying in a nearby city. I really don't know. All this was dropped on me today.
 
We were in Phoenix last November, and enjoyed hiking in what for us was strange surroundings. There are a few good hikes within the city itself, or on the outskirts of the city in the Superstition Mountains. Another highlight for me was driving the Apache Trail, which takes you out into the mountains to the east of Phoenix on wicked gravel roads and hairpin turns. On the way you get great views of the reservoirs on the Salt River and are able to stop at ancient Indian cliff dwellings. There is a lot more to Phoenix than golf.
 
Last edited:
Ok, I will be flying into Phoenix, but staying in Scottsdale. I live in the middle of nowhere though and do not mind driving back to Phoenix for sights.
 
Ok, I will be flying into Phoenix, but staying in Scottsdale. I live in the middle of nowhere though and do not mind driving back to Phoenix for sights.

Scottsdale might technically be a different municipality, but it's all one large metropolis. You just cross one street of houses to another and you've traveled from one "city" to another within greater Phoenix.
 
Sounds like Houston. I can't even name all the cities surrounding it and I live nearby. I just call it Houston.
 
It looks like I will be in Phoenix from the 9th to the 15th. Any recommendations on sights or places to go?

I think the best way to handle Phoenix is to drive South about two hours and hang out in Tucson until you absolutely have to show in Phoenix for whatever it is you are there for. When you are done, slide back to your room in Tucson & continue to enjoy.

Kris
(A native Tucsonian, and a little biased)
 
Too much to do down there. Lived in Northwest part of The Valley (you'll find out real quick why the Phoenix metro area has that nickname if you don't already know) for about two years. Those of you who know the area, off of 67th Avenue and Happy Valley in Peoria. If that doesn't help, I can walk to Christ Church of the Valley in 10 minutes from where I used to live.

....Off the record, don't go there.

On the record, three things I do recommend that you do if you can find the time is visit Tombstone, the Grand Canyon, and Sedona. The first two is about 3-4 south and north (respectively) of Phoenix, the other is about an hour north of Phoenix. They're both great places and are practically trademarks of Arizona.
 
Eric, it's the Superstition Mountains my friend, because of the legend of the Lost Dutchman.

I was born in PHX, grew up there and both my sons were born in the same hospital I was. Our last home in the area, which we sold in '98, was in the foothills of the Superstitions. The Apache Trail goes back into the mountains and will bring you to Roosevelt Lake, if you're interested. It's a scenic drive and would take up the better part of a day. I do miss the desert.

From Scottsdale you have a trove of opportunities, from restaurants to just walking around downtown to hiking, golfing or whatever else you want to do. It mostly depends on your desires and pocketbook. I do heartily recommend Monti's La Casa Vieja just over the Salt in Tempe. They may have the best steaks in Arizona. If you like golf, my personal favorite is Gold Canyon Ranch. You'll take 60 east and turn left at the sign when you get out to the Superstition Mountains. Another very fun course is in Fountain Hills. There's also a Frisbee golf course around the fountain there, which is free. You used to be able to rent Frisbees nearby. You might find that just walking around downtown Scottsdale (Scottsdale Road and Main, if I remember correctly), with its western theme, is relaxing. There's plenty to see and enough restaurants in the area to satisfy you. As for Mexican food, Lawrence may be right in regard to the chili relleños, I don't know having never eaten there. But Tee Pee is one of my favorite Mexican food restaurants. It was there for as long as I can remember. Nothing fancy, but be prepared to wait outside for a spell before you get a seat. Under "Tortillas" in their menu is a dish called the "Mary-Lou." Whether red or green, it's worth the cost of the trip, no matter where you're coming from. I grew up within walking distance of Tee Pee.

Believe it or not, there's a Bass Pro Shop near Scottsdale now. Telling you how to get there would be tough, but I think it's on the 101 heading into Tempe/Mesa. Much has changed there since we lived in the area, so I'm sure there are many more opportunities I'm unaware of. But feel free to shoot me a note if I can help.


Blessings,
 
If you have a spare day and haven't seen the Grand Canyon, it's totally worth the four-hours-each-way drive. Nothing else in the region compares.

Otherwise, as has been said, hike the mountains in the city (but not at midday). Take a Jeep adventure. Eat Mexican food. And the ballpark is a nice experience, as evenings there are still pleasant in the spring.

Try to plan your outdoor time for the cool hours of the day (Grand Canyon excepted, it's not so warm there). Also anticipate heavy rush hour traffic. Avoid it when possible.
 
As mentioned, if you have the time and ability you really do need to see Sedona, but don't stop there. Drive up Oak Creek Canyon to Flagstaff. It is a beautiful drive. It is one of my favourite places on earth. From Flag you can go to the Grand Canyon. It is doable in a long day if that is all you have. The Apache Trail is a great drive as well.

When I lived there I spent most of my off time either out in the desert or up in the mountains. I'm a country boy and the megalopolis was a bit much for me. There are tons of interesting places in the deserts surrounding the Valley. You would need a 4x4 to get to most of them. If you really want to have a kick of a trip that can be made in 2x4 (but don't do it in a rental :) ) go to Prescott - The old way! You will jump off of I-17 at the Cleator exit. You will drive unpaved roads through Cleator (a ghost town), along Turkey Creek, Big Bug Creek and then up the Bradshaw Mts. You will eventually arrive at Crown King. The drive takes you from Sonoran Desert to High Ponderosa country in a very short amount of time. (Beware, there is a reason that mufflers seem to be growing along the road.) From Crown King you can drive to Prescott. It is a beautiful drive through the Ponderosas.
 
Well, on the 9th, stop here:

Phoenix Church - Morningside Evangelical Presbyterian Church

Then go to Pinnacle Peak Patio Steakhouse wearing a tie. Heh. Heh.

On Monday head down to Rustler's Rooste and eat rattlesnake. Afterwards, go across the street to Fry's Electronics and indulge your geekiness.

Wednesday night go visit James White's church: http://www.prbc.org/Welcome.htm

You will then be officially indoctrinated and can claim you were really in Arizona at one time or another.

Oh, yeah, there is that big hole in the ground to the North of Scottsdale that you may want to check out, too. ;)

AMR
 
Last edited:
I remember drinking prickly pear cactus tea when I was in New Mexico years back. Anyone know of some good restaurants with that kind of tea?

Thanks
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top