Polemics against Charismatics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matthew,

My wife is a former charismatic. She named Counterfeit Miracles by B. B. Warfield as being a major influence. For your own edification, I also suggest The Religious Affections by Jonathan Edwards. in my opinion the charistmatics had their counterpart even in his day. He deals at length with "experience" in the light of the word of God.

Cheers ~~ Jay

Originally posted by jaybird0827
Matthew,

My wife is a former charismatic. She named Counterfeit Miracles by B. B. Warfield as being a major influence. For your own edification, I also suggest The Religious Affections by Jonathan Edwards. in my opinion the charistmatics had their counterpart even in his day. He deals at length with "experience" in the light of the word of God.

Cheers ~~ Jay

:ditto: Excellent suggestions! I might also add a book I read some years ago: Charismatic Chaos by John MacArthur.

Originally posted by Puritan Sailor
The Final Word by O. Palmer Robertson

:ditto: That was the "final word" so-to-speak in the study of both sides that eventually convinced me. It is extremely brief, yet packed with solid and clear-cut exegesis on the subject.

:ditto: for all of the above. But two that haven't been mentioned are probably the most likely a "Bible-studying" charismatic will be influenced by -- Anthony Hoekema's books on baptism with the Holy Spirit and tongue speaking. Simple, charitable, and to the point.

Most excellent: "The Holy Spirit" by Frederick Bruner

In a word, "utter destruction to the theology behind charismaticism." (Yea, yea, more than one word, I know.)

Originally posted by C. Matthew McMahon
Most excellent: "The Holy Spirit" by Frederick Bruner

In a word, "utter destruction to the theology behind charismaticism." (Yea, yea, more than one word, I know.)

dr. matt, is the book you refer to called "Holy Spirit - Shy Member of the Trinity"?

also, i have heard bruner to quote liberal more than reformed theologians in the book i mentioned in my IP. how does this theology influence his treatment of this polemic, if at all?

[Edited on 7-21-2006 by fivepointcalvinist]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back