Polity of Continental Reformed churches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Me Died Blue

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
Does anyone have any information to offer, or perhaps articles to recommend as well, regarding the historic and current polity of Continental Reformed churches?

While I am interested in the broad issue in general, including historic and current practice within any particular Continental Reformed churches, I am particularly curious about how Dutch Reformed polity compares with Presbyterian polity.

Chris: You would find Paradigms in Polity helpful. It is a collection of essays relevant to your topic. If you don't want to buy it, get it through interlibrary loan (the key to all knowledge :) ).

Originally posted by Scott
If you don't want to buy it, get it through interlibrary loan (the key to all knowledge :) ).

Scott,

What is the interlibrary loan? I am interested in tapping into the "key to all knowledge" as well.

I am no expert, but here are a couple differences I have observed:

1. If I recall correctly, In CRC polity, the teaching elder is a member of the congregation as compared to Presbyterianism, where the teaching elder belongs (has membership) to the presbytery.

2. Ruling elders in Presbyterianism are ordained for life unless they are divested of the office or demit their eldership. If I recall correctly, in Dutch Reformed polity, ruling elders are only ordained for a specific term of office.

3. If I recall correctly, related to #1, in Dutch Reformed polity when a classis meets they do not celebrate the Lord's Supper or have a worship service as you might find at a presbytery meeting.

4. If I recall correctly, the Dutch Reformed subscribe their standards without exception.

My memory might be a little foggy, so I am open to correction.

[Edited on 1-4-2006 by AdamM]

Thanks for the info Adam. #1 is the difference I've heard explained when I have asked before. I prefer the Presbyterian view as in scripture elders are spoken of in reference to the Church of Jerusalem (or Antioch, or Ephesus or Corinth) not the particular churches of Jerusalem. In cities such as these, where the fruits of the gospel abounded, there would be many believers and many congregations therefore when it refers to a single church here we ought to understand it as the joint administration of several congregations under one government of elders, ie, a Presbytery or Classis.
#2 I haven't heard of in Dutch Reformed Churches but I know some non-denominational churches do this. Not having studied the issue I dont have any definate commitments yet I favor the Presbyterian view b/c (1) government is listed as a gift, which I dont think dissipates after an arbitrary term has expired (2) elders were ordained by the apostles. that seems irreversable to me. (3) Scripture only puts one difference between Ministers (teaching Elders) and Ruling Elders, viz that ministers labor in doctrine and teaching.
#3 I'm unaware of any Presbyteries that do this but if they do, frankly, it smacks of Episcopalianism or Popery.
#4 Many presbyterian churches do this too and all should in my opinion.

Chris:

I can't point you to any essays or articles on this, but websites to look at would be Spindleworks. You might also find some articles in the Ordained Servant articles listed on the OPC website. That's just off the top of my head.

I was brought up in the Dutch church, and am quite familiar with that form of Presbyterianism. I consciously came over to Presbyterianism after seeing all the abuses that took place, and was looking for a better understanding of the Biblical principles. I've seen both sides now, and I'm not that sure anymore that Presbyterianism is any better. There are strengths and weaknesses on both sides. I would be interested in your findings.

The main difference I think exists is that the Dutch churches ground the original derived authority in the elders of the local church ( including the ministers ), while the Presbyterians seem to hang it on the Presbytery. Whereas the Dutch churches carry their original authority to the classis, delegating it in the concensus of the whole, the Presbyterian churches seem to delegate their authority down to the elders of a church. This seems to be the case moreso where elders too are members of the Presbytery instead of just the ministers, as opposed to being members of their local congregation.

From this difference spring a bunch of other differences. The system of appeal would be one example; the view of term of office as opposed to lifetime office another.

The subscription thing is tied to this too, but is more of a difference in the understanding of the unity of the church. The Dutch also usually have a single song book denomination-wide; and that is closer to the subscription concept that they hold. But it is true that their idea of office differs somewhat also: the Dutch hold a more stringent view of office. And that also ties in with the subscription issue. They have more of a separation of man and office, not mixing the two. But that takes a bit of explaining, I guess. Anyways, the subscription issue is more of an effect on the view of office, of denominational unity, and of governance than it is that these are an effect on subscription. And that seems to be where the Presbyterians differ as well, because it seems they tend to want the latter when they speak of subscriptionism.

Mind you, I've only experienced the RPCGA and the OPC as far as Presbyterianism is concerned. And I'm familiar with the old CRC, the URC during its founding, and somewhat with FRC and CanRC polity. Of these, the one I'm most familiar with is the old CRC.

If you want to look into the old CRC, there is a book on amendments and rulings by the CRC on the Church Order and on the Three Forms of Unity. I can't recall the name of it right now. But you would have to access the Acts of Synod as well to get all the details, the complete overtures that were adopted and ratified. Its a lot of work. I did some of that quite a long time ago when I had that book. I still have it somewhere, I think. But this gave me a very clear understanding of CRC polity and how it worked.

Most CRC church have copies of the Acts of Synod year by year in their libraries or Consistory closets. If there's a CRC close by, you might be able to arrange something with them.

"What is the interlibrary loan? I am interested in tapping into the "key to all knowledge" as well."

It is a request that your local public library borrow a book (or tape, video, article, CD, or whatever) from another library. Your library will hunt through a national library database to find the book you want and ask the partner library to loan it to your local library for you to check out. You check it out like any book owned by your local library. The whole process is very easy. You just need to know what book you want. Many libraries (such as my local one) accept ILL requests online, by fax, or whatever.

It is also free, or nearly so (some libraries require you to pay shipping of a dollar or two). You can get hard to find books, books that are no longer published, or whatever else you want. For example, after I discovered ILL, I was able to get a 19th century set of Lutherans commentaries on the Law of Moses that I had been looking for for years. I use ILL all the time. It saves countless dollars, saves allot of space at home, and provide access to books, CDs and videos I would never get. It is awesome. I usually have at least one of two things on ILL checked out.

Take hold of the key my young friend and the world will open up. :) Only a bibliophile could get as excited about the library and ILL as me, but I love books!

Scott

[Edited on 1-4-2006 by Scott]

Originally posted by Scott
Take hold of the key my young friend and the world will open up. :) Only a bibliophile could get as excited about the library and ILL as me, but I love books!

Scott

[Edited on 1-4-2006 by Scott]

:lol::pilgrim::book2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back