Whitefield said:
How can you give this analysis when you say you have only listened to his opening remarks???
In a formal debate, the opening remarks are supposed to give a complete account of the affirmative position, including a satisfactory fulfillment of the burden of proof. If I was judging it as a debate, I would have called for the negative automatically on that alone (plus, you are never supposed to refute your opponent before he speaks--
ad hominemfallacy of poisoning the well). If he cannot establish whether God exists at least somewhat satisfactorily, then his case is lost. Talking about presuppositional methodology does not answer the question, but is a distraction from the real question and therefore should have been avoided.
I actually am not surprised that Bahnsen didn't know this (I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt here) as formal debate is inherently classical in its application. That is, pointing out opponents' flaws does nothing unless one can prove one's own position to the satisfaction of the audience. The first priority is always to prove oneself right. Proving one's opponent wrong is always secondary. Bahnsen got this backwards in this case (I can't speak for other debates). At the end of the speech, he left the existence of God resting on an unsupported argument (no evidence for the TAG).
EDITED:
Confessor said:
That I'm fallible does not entail that I'm wrong or that I can't back up my worldview! Furthermore, presuppositionalism isn't some blind, broad, generic process of, "Hey, unbeliever, give an account for knowledge...Go!" No, the Reformed apologist points out specific parts in the unbeliever's worldview that do not make sense given his presupposition.
Which will only lead the unbeliever to make his position stronger. I debated for years, and can tell you that my position changed after every debate. Also, the atheist can claim that just because he's fallible doesn't make his worldview wrong.
The fact that logic is necessary does not help the atheist in defending himself. He must show how necessary laws of logic -- which are universal, prescriptive, and immaterial -- mesh with his belief that man is the highest form of rationality in the universe.
First, I would argue that logic is descriptive, not prescriptive. Second, that logic is not immaterial, but does not exist, being simply the way that concepts relate to one another.
Atheist: Logic is not about making sense, but about relating words/ideas. Only man has logical capabilities because only man is capable of language. Therefore, given the uniqueness of man, man must be the highest rationality.
Within his worldview, he is impervious--one has to appeal to something outside his worldview to prove him wrong and to prove Christianity right.
You're equivocating on "default." Of course TD is default in the sense that we're born into sin; it is not default in the sense that it is correct or proper. I was dealing with the latter.
Default never means correct: it always means the starting point. Default settings on my computer are rarely correct. The "default" suit that I bought has to be tailored to fit my frame. One is forced to reason alongside the nonbeliever because the nonbeliever has no reason to accept your presuppositions from his position.