Problems with Board going down and posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokingFlax

Puritan Board Sophomore
Ok... I've officially had it.

Three strikes and I'm out.

Last night was the 3rd time that I spent my time typing up a lengthy response here on the board only to have the site crash and erase all of my hard work. I will now only browse until the new (old) format is re-instituted. This is lame.

[color=green:55b78a59bf]{Title edited for clarity - FTG}[/color:55b78a59bf]
 
That's a real bummer to have lost all that work. Most of my posts tend to be shorter, so that's not usually a problem for me. Whenever I do a longer post, I usually work offline in Notepad first and then copy/paste it in when I'm done. That might be another option for you instead of going into 'browse mode' (I'd much rather read your posts that way than have you in browse mode and wonder what you're thinking).
Just a thought,
 
Yep, long posts (in any message board) need to be done in note pad or word first. Message boards (anywhere) can have hic-cups that earse hard work. So can BLOGS just to let you know.
 
I third what Adam and Bob said; even if I am not in a word processor typing a response, I almost always "copy/paste" my work before I press send (unfortunately, I didn't do that today and lost a long email :flaming: ). I guess the main problem I have with this board is Paul Manata's temporary absence; just kidding, I know he has work to do.
 
Ok, another plug here:

Get Firefox:
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/0.10/Firefox Setup 1.0PR.exe

You can get a extension/plugin that is a little note taking pad that opens in a small window or a sidebar (kind of like the show bookmarks space in IE). You can then paste it in:
http://update.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=46&vid=287

And you can use this extension/plugin to format your post (even in the quick reply box):
http://www.extenzilla.it/bbcodextra/eng.php

And I support what Adam said. The truth is, the same thing will happen if/when the XMB board is back up (though hopefully less often). It happened to me on the old board. There is also browsers crashing, mistakenly hitting backspace, etc. I now NEVER type a long response into the board directly.
 
Also, I've noticed that if a problem occurs when you're sending a post, you can usually (though not always) get back to the page by hitting the Back button
 
Ok, so maybe I'm being rash here...

I'll have to go to the word processor mode -that makes sense.

Patience...patience -someone once said, is a virtue.
 
[quote:ebb9b24851="SmokingFlax"]Ok, so maybe I'm being rash here...I'll have to go to the word processor mode -that makes sense.[/quote:ebb9b24851]:thumbup:
 
And we are working to see if the XMB format can be brought back. Although honestly, I'm not sure that is the problem. But there is a problem and I think the changeover will fix it. If that makes any sense at all.
 
I usually start in the quick reply box, until I find that my post is getting a little long-winded. Then, I hit the edit button on my browser, click on copy, and then go to the Postreply, and paste it in. If I remember I try to to the edit and copy thing again just before I click submit. The trouble is, it is when I forget to do that that I lose what I've done.

But I try not to get frustrated. I usually try to take the tack that I probably could have said it better anyway.

I had the same problem on he XMB Board. I don't think this board is any different that way. Its just the frequent down times that I find bothersome.

If the Board goes down while I am trying to get my Looooong post on, I just keep hitting the back button until a screen comes up. Usually it still has my hard work on it, and I put it into Word for safe-keeping until the Board comes back online. Sometimes its gone, though. And then I just quit and go play my guitar for a while.

I'd better quit here, as its getting too long for the quickedit box again.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top