Proverbs 9:8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Confessor

Puritan Board Senior
Do not rebuke a mocker or he will hate you; rebuke a wise man and he will love you. (NIV)

I have noticed that I am severely lacking in courage to rebuke others who are sinning around me. But this verse implies a boundary regarding whom to rebuke -- what are the practical implications of this? When should I rebuke, and when should I stay silent?

When it means people will laugh at you and you'll lose popularity points with the cheerleaders, don't rebuke.

It is generally related to pearl casting as the passage indicates:

7 He that reproveth a scorner, purchaseth to himself shame: and he that rebuketh the wicked, getteth himself a blot.
8 Rebuke not a scorner, lest he hate thee: but rebuke a wise man, and he will love thee.
9 Give admonition to the wise, and he will be the wiser: teach a righteous man, and he will increase in learning.

AMR

Ben, I've always read it from an informative viewpoint: ie. if you rebuke a mocker he'll hate you, but wise men accept it and learn from it. But I guess I've not thought of it in an instructive sense before... ie: should I even rebuke a mocker? This can also apply to believers who behave like mockers where they consider your piety to be a threat to them in some way.

Know thyself

When should I rebuke, and when should I stay silent?

Rebuke only when you are acting out of a sincere love and concern for a brother/sister, not when someone's practice/habit/personality/belief annoys you or when you wish to establish yourself as a dominant personality. Also, only if you would be willing to take rebuke from that person.

Galatians 6:1-2 Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted. 2 Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.

Confessor;

But this verse implies a boundary regarding whom to rebuke -- what are the practical implications of this? When should I rebuke, and when should I stay silent?

One of the things I would want to know first is do they profess to be a follower of Christ? if they do not profess Christ, then it would be as casting pearls before swine; if they profess Christ, and you rebuke them and they ignore then Matthew 18 principals should apply..taking a brother as a witness, if they are a member of your church then you take it to the church, if not and they refuse to repent then treat them as an unbeliever..and share the Gospel with them..

Even if they are a believer if you rebuke them they could get mad, but so what, isn't it worth risking the friendship to see them in repent and turn to God?

Ecc 7:5 It is better for a man to hear the rebuke of the wise than to hear the song of fools.

Luk 17:3 "Pay attention to yourselves! If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him,

And here is what God says if it's someone older than you...

1Ti 5:1 Do not rebuke an older man but encourage him as you would a father. Treat younger men like brothers,

-----Added 11/9/2009 at 10:32:22 EST-----

Confessor;

I have noticed that I am severely lacking in courage to rebuke others who are sinning around me.

A few questions...

What are you afraid will happen if you rebuke a brother?

Are you afraid they will get mad?
Are you afraid they will start listing your sins back at you?

If so, ask yourself, why should you be afraid if they get mad? What can man do to you?

If your afraid they will start listing your sins back...what can you do concerning that?? repent of those things...take the log out of your own eye first??

knowing God tells us to do these things should challenge us in our own walk and bring about our own growth..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back