Psalm Tunes - A thread for sharing and requesting recommended psalm tunes or audio of psalmody

Tempo change? What does that mean?
Change the pace at which you sing. Sing verses 1-21 slowly and solemnly and when you get to verse 22, change the speed you sing to something quicker, without changing the tune. It can really fit a change in mood.

Change the pace at which you sing. Sing verses 1-21 slowly and solemnly and when you get to verse 22, change the speed you sing to something quicker, without changing the tune. It can really fit a change in mood.
Which tune tbough? I don't think that'd work well with bangor.

Which tune tbough? I don't think that'd work well with bangor.

I just took a look a Bangor. I think that even with that tune, changing the tempo changes the mood, particularly combined with the words. Personally I would be willing to sing through the entirety of the psalm with that tune.

Are there any good common meter tunes that fit Psalm 22:21-27? Preferably something that is somber enough for the part preceding but joyous enough for the part following.
Are you using the 1650 for this? If it were me I would use the tune from How Sweet And Aweful Is The Place. I don't know the tune name. But it's a great tune that works fast and slow.

I know most of the comments here reference the Scots Psalter, but I wanted to give a shout-out to Pastor Kwangyoung Park, mission worker at Bethel Canadian Reformed Church in metro Toronto, for sending me a link to a complete set of the Genevan Psalter tunes in Korean. Even for those who don't speak Korean, these tunes are in a single male voice with the musical scores, and for that reason, can be very helpful in learning the Genevan tunes in English.

Far and away the largest number of confessional Calvinists today are in Korea, a country that it's almost certain John Calvin had never heard of when he commissioned the Genevan Psalter in 1539. May their number of psalm-singers increase.

Are you using the 1650 for this? If it were me I would use the tune from How Sweet And Aweful Is The Place. I don't know the tune name. But it's a great tune that works fast and slow.
St Columba

Are there any good common meter tunes that fit Psalm 22:21-27? Preferably something that is somber enough for the part preceding but joyous enough for the part following.
Naomi, Sheffield, Old 22nd, Praetorious to name a few of the recommended ones. Check them out online to see if you like any of them.

Where would you divide psalm 89 in two or three bits, and what tune would you use?

Preferrably divided so I repeat the last verse of one bit when beginning the next one

I'd reach for Dunfermline for the first however many verses, no strong feelings for the rest. Maybe something like Martyrs or Martyrdom for v38ff.

Where would you divide psalm 89 in two or three bits, and what tune would you use?

Preferrably divided so I repeat the last verse of one bit when beginning the next one
The FCC split-leaf has the following divisions and tune recommendations. Might be a good starting place.

1-4 to Dunfermline or Belgrave
5-14 to Effingham or Weymouth
15-18 to Newington
19-37 to Tiverton
38-52 to Durham

Back