puritan book suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill c.

Puritan Board Freshman
I am currently reading Thomas Brooks' book, "Key to Heaven", it's very good and readable. Any suggestions as to what to read next?
 
Oops! I forgot to ask if anyone can recommend any good introductions to the Puritans.

Thanks
 
Why Read the Puritans Today by Don Kistler

The Christian's Great Interest by William Guthrie

Worldly Saints by Leland Ryken

Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners by John Bunyan

The Ten Commandments by Thomas Watson

Gospel Worship by Jeremiah Burroughs

Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan

The Secret of Communion with God by Matthew Henry

Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment by Jeremiah Burroughs

The Valley of Vision by Arthur Bennett

A Puritan Golden Treasury by I.D.E. Thomas

Westminster Confession of Faith, Larger Catechism, Shorter Catechism

The Shorter Catechism Explained From Scripture by Thomas Vincent

The Christian in Complete Armour by William Gurnall

The Path of True Godliness by William Teellinck

Human Nature in its Fourfold State by Thomas Boston

The Christian's Reasonable Service by Wilhelmus à Brakel
 
The Genius of Puritanism by Peter Lewis (perhaps the best short introduction)

The Puritans by D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones

The Body of Divinity, The Ten Commandments and The Lord's Prayer by Thomas Watson

The Divine Cordial aka All Things for Good by Thomas Watson

The Bruised Reed by Richard Sibbes

Alarm to the Unconverted aka Sure Guide to Heaven by Joseph Alleine

I'm sure that the Puritan Papers Ant has up for auction today are an excellent resource as well.
 
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm headed to WTS bookstore tomorrow so I'll look some of these up.
 
Originally posted by bill c.
I am currently reading Thomas Brooks' book, "Key to Heaven", it's very good and readable. Any suggestions as to what to read next?


I remember reading Heaven On Earth by Thomas Brooks.
I loved it!!! I would take it with me to work every day, and read it every break I got. I couldn't get enough! :up:
 
I'm nowhere near being impartial, but I think "Grace" by Christopher Love and "The True Christian's Love to the Unseen Christ" along with "Altogether Lovely" by Jonathan Edwards are perfect books to introduce folks to Puritan literature.

As for introducing them to the Puritans themselves, Peter Lewis's "Genius of Puritanism" and Gary Crampton's "What the Puritans Taught" are quite good.:book2:
 
3 books come immediately to mind because they all transformed the way I think and live significantly.

1) Sure Guide to Heaven, by Jospeh Alleine.
2) The True Christian's Love to the Unseen Christ, by Thomas Vincent.
3) The Marrow of Modern Divinity, by Edward Fisher (with Boston's notes).

The first two were the first puritan works I had ever read. the Second I think is still my favorite next to Pilgrim's Progress. The third was my first introduction to covenant theology and still I think is the best introduction to classic Reformed covenant theology. It's practical application is wonderful too.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top