@py3ak, I've been trying to go through Muller to bridge the seeming gap. I have more to say in reply to your last post, but I want to gain some clarification:
Did you mean to say that the meaning of denotative diversity is that “
different ideas are not communicated to us by the same words”? Otherwise, I'm not sure I understand your first sentence. If you really mean what you said, then perhaps you are trying to harmonize it with Duby's correlative expression of "referential identity."
To clarify what
that means, does the statement that the divine attributes are “referentially identical” simply mean that
the same subject is referred to when we state different predications (as you do)? If so, then I don’t think one needs to affirm a “strong” view of divine simplicity to agree.
On the other hand, if for the divine attributes to be “referentially identical” means that
the attributes themselves are identical to each other within the referent such that
there is no distinction between said attributes except in our own minds, then it appears any
distinct conceptions you have of God would be literally, metaphysically false (since there is no such distinction within the divine essence). Before you answer this or the above question, see the Muller citation below.
Ha! At any rate, that is not the goal of the syllogisms.
Depending on how you answer my question regarding Duby, I am almost beginning to wonder whether you fall into the category of the sort of “strong” divine simplicity in which I sense tension. Mention of “coherence” is suggestive that you might not think the divine attributes are identical to each other?
How you answer the above questions might be helpful if I provide the following citation of Muller as a point of reference. Honestly, I should have followed up on Muller sooner like I said I would (post 12). For example, on pgs. 286-287, Muller writes:
This was extremely helpful, and I wish I had read this earlier. It sounds as though Muller is stating that an affirmation that
the divine attributes are not identical to each other within the divine essence was a live option within the Reformed tradition (per Maccovius). This also seems to directly address what I wrote in my very first post:
If I were to rewrite my original question with Maccovius (not Dolezal) in mind, I might rhetorically ask, "if the divine persons may be
formally distinct without entailing composition, why might not the divine attributes be
formally distinct without entailing composition?" It seems Muller's reply would be that yes, "
In the case of the trinitarian relations and divine attributes, such distinctions can and do apply to God."
Does this not allow me grounds for denying that
the attributes themselves are identical to each other within the referent? If I appear confused, the source of my confusion is how Dolezal has framed the issue seems to contrast with how Muller frames it above. For as I cited in post 1, Dolezal said in a footnote to pg. 120 that "
divine simplicity does not deny distinction in the Godhead - not even real distinctions - but only such distinctions as would entail composition." According to Maccovius,
real distinction is precisely what must be denied,
formal distinction affirmed.
Further confusing me is that in Chapter 4 of
All That Is In God, Dolezal contradicts the above footnote:
What Frame says does not seem
so wrong to me if we qualify the distinction between the divine attributes as "formal"
a la Maccovius. That is, in pointing out a distinction or non-identity between the divine attributes, we can and should simultaneously deny that what we are talking about is something like a distinction:
1. between different things of
different essences (e.g., between a flower and a table),
2. or between
two things of the same essence (e.g. between two tables),
3. or between
the separable parts of a composite thing (e.g., between the tabletop and the legs of the table)
Distinctions between the attributes within the divine essence don't imply a different essence for each attribute, do not suggest numerically multiple essences, and aren't separable parts ("real" distinction). Nevertheless,
they are not identical to each other because they are formally distinct.
I also cited Dabney on page 1, and Dolezal takes aim at him too here. I am realizing that throughout this thread, I have just assumed that the way in which Dolezal presents what I have regarded as the "strong" view of divine simplicity in
All That Is In God was noncontroversial. Given the above and the earlier question of his language on "eternal creatorhood," however, I am now beginning to wonder if
@83r17h was more right in his first post than I have realized.
Like I said, I know you wrote more in your last post
@py3ak, and I do want to respond to that. But I'm hoping the above paves a path to some clarity. If I am understanding Muller and Maccovius correctly, I would affirm:
"All that is in God is God" is true in the sense that the "all" in question includes formally distinct, strictly non-identical attributes.
"Referential identity" of the divine attributes is true in the sense each attribute refers to the same subject, God.