Reading - faster then a speeding bullet

Status
Not open for further replies.

blhowes

Puritan Board Professor
It never ceases to amaze me how well read the people on this forum are. If you had to estimate, how many words per minute do you typically average when reading?

In addition to the theology books you read, do you also have the time and interest in reading other kinds of books (mysteries, sci fi, non-fiction, etc)? What kinds of "non-religious" books to you enjoy reading?

It depends.... when I read Owen I tend to only get about 20 pages an hour read. However, if I read one of these pop culture books (like Warren) I can blow through a 200 page book in a couple hours.
Typically, though - if I average it out- I'd say that I read academic material at a pace of about 40-50 pages an hour.:book:

[quote:e129fb3798][i:e129fb3798]Originally posted by Bryan[/i:e129fb3798]
In a 40 minute bus ride I read about 20 pages of theology.

Bryan
SDG [/quote:e129fb3798]

:biggrin: That's exactly how I gage it! We have excellent public transit here in Madison, and my wife and I both ride to & from work as a free bus pass is one of the perks of our employer; saves gas, wear & tear on vehicle, and paying for parking!

I do a LOT of reading on the bus! I agree with Sola....Owen, much slower.....never read Warren, but like John Grisham (secular novelist for those of you who don't get out much! :biggrin:) I can get through his books in a few hours.

Grace,
Dwayne

I am a very slow reader! The way my mind works is I have to read and digest every single word and also say it in my mind.ARHHHH!!! Loging on to PB is an time consuming event.:banghead:

[quote:3a24e72cfa][i:3a24e72cfa]Originally posted by Ex-Baptist[/i:3a24e72cfa]
Loging on to PB is an time consuming event.:banghead: [/quote:3a24e72cfa]

Ah! In this case, I think what you need is a faster computer.:tongue:

(And come to think about it, this board needs sound effects for all the one-liners, you know, like what they use sometimes on talk radio programs. A bunch of drums or something.)

[quote:3a24e72cfa] And from Gregg:
I wish I could read the manual on how to get this ole horse movin again

:deadhorse:

[/quote:3a24e72cfa]

Enzymes! My new cure-all for everything that ails you. Proteolatic Systmec Enzymes and flax seed oil mixed with cottage cheese.

Oh, I'm so forgetful--I intended to say that I'm a rather fast reader when it comes to novels. A rather slow reader when it comes to theology books. It takes me a while for it all to compute. A lot of it is the writing style. I find Sproul to be really easy. Piper takes more thought. A.W. Pink I have to piece everything together.

Of course, since I read through Jane Austens works, even the theology books are lot easier.

[quote:80a19b2bee][i:80a19b2bee]Originally posted by ChristianasJourney[/i:80a19b2bee]

[quote:80a19b2bee] And from Gregg:
I wish I could read the manual on how to get this ole horse movin again

:deadhorse:

[/quote:80a19b2bee]

Enzymes! My new cure-all for everything that ails you. Proteolatic Systmec Enzymes and flax seed oil mixed with cottage cheese. [/quote:80a19b2bee]

Reply...

Janice, I think that old horse is beyond cottage cheese. He's just tired iron.:bouncy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back