Reading the Bible in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
OK, folks, it's time for the annual end-of-year survey.

Do you have your Bible-reading schedule for next year figured out? What is it?

M'Cheyne again. Every year I think about changing it up, but his plan makes the most sense to me. The whole Bible once and the Psalms and NT twice. I also like the fact that so many people I know are doing the same and that we are all meditating on the same scriptures at the same time.

Maybe we should open a thread for discussion in 2018 based on M'Cheyne. It would be an interesting devotional.

M'Cheyne again for me as well. This will be my fourth consecutive year with his plan, and I appreciate it more each year. Particularly with the addition of D.A. Carson's 2 volume 'For The Love Of God', which explains one of the chapters read in the plan day by day. Volume one for the morning reading, and volume two for the evening. MLJ said he did the M'Cheyne plan for 52 or 53 years, he couldn't recall whether it was one or the other. Quite a recommendation.

I’m doing M’Cheyne again, also. Did the TableTalk plan last year, but coming home again this year. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I will be following the AMR eleven month reading plan of six books per month. Been doing this for over thirty years:

Note: Chapters per day are rounded to nearest even digit.

Old Testament

Genesis
Exodus
Leviticus
Numbers
Deuteronomy
Joshua
----------------------------Jan (211 Chapters, 7 Chapters per day)
Judges
Ruth
1 Samuel
2 Samuel
1 Kings
2 Kings
----------------------------Feb (127 Chapters, 5 chapters per day)
1 Chronicles
2 Chronicles
Ezra
Nehemiah
Esther
Job
----------------------------Mar (140 Chapters, 5 Chapters per day)
Psalm
Proverbs
Ecclesiastes
Song of Solomon
Isaiah
Jeremiah
----------------------------Apr (319 Chapters, 11 Chapters per day)
Lamentations
Ezekiel
Daniel
Hosea
Joel
Amos
----------------------------May (91 Chapters, 3 Chapters per day)
Obadiah
Jonah
Micah
Nahum
Habakkuk
Zephaniah
----------------------------Jun (21 Chapters, 1 Chapter per day)
Haggai
Zechariah
Malachi

New Testament

Matthew
Mark
Luke
----------------------------Jul (88 Chapters, 3 Chapters per day)
John
Acts
Romans
1 Corinthians
2 Corinthians
Galatians
----------------------------Aug (100 Chapters, 3 Chapters per day)
Ephesians
Philippians
Colossians
1 Thessalonians
2 Thessalonians
1 Timothy
----------------------------Sep (28 Chapters, 1 Chapter per day)
2 Timothy
Titus
Philemon
Hebrews
James
1 Peter
----------------------------Oct (31 Chapters, 1 Chapter per day)
2 Peter
1 John
2 John
3 John
Jude
Revelation
----------------------------Nov (33 Chapters, 1 Chapter per day)

For a simple 12-month plan for 2018, just read three and one-third chapters per day to cover the 1,189 chapters in the Bible.

I will be following the AMR eleven month reading plan of six books per month. Been doing this for over thirty years:

Note: Chapters per day are rounded to nearest even digit.

Old Testament

Genesis
Exodus
Leviticus
Numbers
Deuteronomy
Joshua
----------------------------Jan (211 Chapters, 7 Chapters per day)
Judges
Ruth
1 Samuel
2 Samuel
1 Kings
2 Kings
----------------------------Feb (127 Chapters, 5 chapters per day)
1 Chronicles
2 Chronicles
Ezra
Nehemiah
Esther
Job
----------------------------Mar (140 Chapters, 5 Chapters per day)
Psalm
Proverbs
Ecclesiastes
Song of Solomon
Isaiah
Jeremiah
----------------------------Apr (319 Chapters, 11 Chapters per day)
Lamentations
Ezekiel
Daniel
Hosea
Joel
Amos
----------------------------May (91 Chapters, 3 Chapters per day)
Obadiah
Jonah
Micah
Nahum
Habakkuk
Zephaniah
----------------------------Jun (21 Chapters, 1 Chapter per day)
Haggai
Zechariah
Malachi

New Testament

Matthew
Mark
Luke
----------------------------Jul (88 Chapters, 3 Chapters per day)
John
Acts
Romans
1 Corinthians
2 Corinthians
Galatians
----------------------------Aug (100 Chapters, 3 Chapters per day)
Ephesians
Philippians
Colossians
1 Thessalonians
2 Thessalonians
1 Timothy
----------------------------Sep (28 Chapters, 1 Chapter per day)
2 Timothy
Titus
Philemon
Hebrews
James
1 Peter
----------------------------Oct (31 Chapters, 1 Chapter per day)
2 Peter
1 John
2 John
3 John
Jude
Revelation
----------------------------Nov (33 Chapters, 1 Chapter per day)

For a simple 12-month plan for 2018, just read three and one-third chapters per day to cover the 1,189 chapters in the Bible.

That's rather remarkable that you've stuck with this plan for more than 30 years. That's perseverance! Did you come up with it yourself or find it somewhere?

This past year I have loved the audio Bible for bulk reading. I feel like I could get through it numerous times a year this way, while doing physical reading for more in-depth study.

OK, folks, it's time for the annual end-of-year survey.

Do you have your Bible-reading schedule for next year figured out? What is it?
Planning to stay just in the OT, as been pretty much staying in the NT past few years, and right now starting Zechariah.

That's rather remarkable that you've stuck with this plan for more than 30 years. That's perseverance! Did you come up with it yourself or find it somewhere?
Given my engineering background, I just used the simple math involved, per my preference to just read the Bible straight through each year. It is simple enough for me, not having to check large tables of passages to be read daily from various Scripture books required by all the popular reading plans.

Over the years I have settled into the cadence required to meet the goals. Obviously January and April are challenging, which I plan accordingly. I usually beat the November deadline each year, too.

90 Day Bible Reading Plan along with a plan to read the Westminster Standards in 1 month (developed by a friend). This plan puts me through the Bible 4 times and the Westminster Standards 12 times. It's audacious but doable.

M'Cheyne again. Every year I think about changing it up, but his plan makes the most sense to me. The whole Bible once and the Psalms and NT twice. I also like the fact that so many people I know are doing the same and that we are all meditating on the same scriptures at the same time.

Maybe we should open a thread for discussion in 2018 based on M'Cheyne. It would be an interesting devotional.

Excellent idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

These days I try to memorize (and rememorize) more and more. Years ago i began with a few famous passages, and then one year I learned the whole of Mark. Since then I work my way through various parts of the Bible, adding more chapters each time I go through again. It takes much longer now, about two years for this last time, but I am up to about a quarter of the Bible now.

1 Psalm (or a couple of sections of Psalm 119)

1 or 2 chapters of OT depending on whether I'm using a commentary or not.

1 chapter of NT usually done in Greek.

I'd read one or two books straight through each Lord's Day. Sometimes 3. Seems like I end up reading a few of them a two or three times in a year--Psalms are for savoring and I might mix those with some NT books.

Not very systematic, but I find it refreshing, like visiting old friends.

It's not really that difficult. Isaiah might take a good stretch; Leviticus is a mini-marathon. Even meaty NT books like Romans and Hebrews take less than an hour each.

This past year I have loved the audio Bible for bulk reading. I feel like I could get through it numerous times a year this way, while doing physical reading for more in-depth study.

These days I try to memorize (and rememorize) more and more. Years ago i began with a few famous passages, and then one year I learned the whole of Mark. Since then I work my way through various parts of the Bible, adding more chapters each time I go through again. It takes much longer now, about two years for this last time, but I am up to about a quarter of the Bible now.

Along with reading, memorizing has been on my own heart lately. I want to return to the discipline. In my own little experience with very few chapters, the benefits really are tremendous.

Audio has been very helpful! Both for memorizing and reading. I like the option of adjusting playback speed.

For 2018 I'm reading the Hebrew Testament twice, Christian Testament (save Gospels) 6 times and Gospels 12 times.

2017 ends with me having read the O.T. once, Gospels 6x and Rest of N.T. 4x, so it will be a step for me.

I haven't yet decided upon a methodology, but I should soon, considering 1 January is half over already.

I use Grant Horner's plan, it is life changing. Better than the read-through-a-year plans I did for ages. It divides the Bible up into 10 sections, and you read 1 chapter per day from each of the 10 sections. Its a lot to read, but you will see the unity and harmony of scripture nearly every day. It typically takes me around 45 min to do the reading, but sometimes longer if I make notes about insights or questions for further research. Please include memorization in with your daily routine, that is also a huge life-changing discipline. I, like others, am interested in adding the WCF to my daily reading, but don't have a plan yet.

Attachments

• professor_grant_horners_bible_reading_system.pdf
    670.2 KB · Views: 2
I, like others, am interested in adding the WCF to my daily reading, but don't have a plan yet.

Ask and ye shall receive. But it's not only the WCF but rather the entire Standards. Sorry; you'll have to settle for reading all of the Standards in a month. :)

Attachments

• Westminster-Standards-Month-Smith-1.pdf
    264.1 KB · Views: 7
M'Cheyne:
  • Two chunks per day is a perfectly reasonable amount for family worship with no children, just a very attentive and disciplined wife. We'll do the "secret" list next year.
  • Carson's "For the Love of God" is a good devotional that follows this plan.

I have my family doing the NT in a month. I stumbled on a picture that Pastor Steve Gaines (SBC President) posted this year. So far, so good!

I was conflicted in the beginning...but my children are really enjoing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back