Bible-Reading in 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long does it take you to read each day? The # of chapters intiminated me.
Depending on chapter length, maybe about 40 mins? I'm not a very fast reader and the plan does say to read a good clip and not get bogged down with deeper study (save that for another time). You can also split the plan in half for morning and evening. If it's still too much, read just 5 chapters a day. Check out the link I shared. Professor Horner shares some good insight into it.

Mr. Allen you convinced me to use this plan. I had come up with a simple plan for myself, but after look at Horner's plan I absolutely must try it, to go right along with a brand new KJV Reformation Heritage Bible as well. Thank you sir!
This is great news! Please keep me posted on how you like. When will you start?

I switched from M'Cheyne's to the Navigators Book-at-a-time plan a few years ago. It roughly follows a "one book, 3 chapters, and a psalm" format. While I appreciate M'Cheyne's ability to get through the NT/Psalms twice, I've preferred reading only two books at once, and one being 2-3 chapters to get a better since of the flow. Not to mention, it's only 25 days/month so there's some flex for "missed" days.

I like the simplicity of one book at a time. My pace varies. I like to pause and consider what I read. I alternate between the Old and New Testaments, and I am free to spend lengths of time in either. I may read a series of shorter books after reading one of the longer books.

God willing, I will continue to sample from the Southern Presbyterians that have had a connection to the State that I live in.

I have long neglected Matthew Henry, and have been considering trying to make it all of the way through his commentary.

Yeah! Let me know how you like it. I think it'll be a blessing.

I have tried it for two days so far. Not sure I can yet speak towards how it works with so many different readings at one time. I do think the time investment will be manageable.

What's your take on his break-down? I am surprised that Proverbs and Acts you read each month (give or take a day) but the historical (Joshua-Esther) it takes about 8 months. Is there some value in focusing on those specifically that you see more as you spend a year reading through this plan?

I have tried it for two days so far. Not sure I can yet speak towards how it works with so many different readings at one time. I do think the time investment will be manageable.

What's your take on his break-down? I am surprised that Proverbs and Acts you read each month (give or take a day) but the historical (Joshua-Esther) it takes about 8 months. Is there some value in focusing on those specifically that you see more as you spend a year reading through this plan?
I would say to cut the plan in half if you are having a hard to keeping up with the amount. You will also get faster over time. I think the breakdown works well for a few reasons. First, you see several genres of biblical text unfold and develop all at once. The interconnectedness of Scripture begins to shout loudly. Second, by reading Proverbs each month you are steeping yourself in godly wisdom. We can never get too much of that. So much of the wisdom in Proverbs is practical and easily remembered. Write it on your heart; equip yourself like a soldier. Third, by reading Acts each month, you are seeing the Church grow and build as promised by Jesus Christ. This can and should spur us onto evangelistic fervor. We should want to see the Church explode in size. Plus, you see so much of the Old Testament and New Testament come together with prophecy fulfilled and the practical application of the Gospel narrative. There is also the sinew of history corresponding with much of the epistles.

Although I see the reason for keeping the structure how it is, I've heard of people switching Acts with other books for a period of time.

If you're thinking of concentrating on the Psalms, here's an easy system:

Since there are 150 psalms, you can read through the entire book in a month if you read 5 psalms per day. Do that every month for a year and you'll probably become very familiar with that beautiful book.

Of course, that means reading the mountainous Psalm 119 as part of your five for one day!

This thread piqued my interest in the Horner Plan; reviewing that plan convinced me to roll with it. Fantastic resource. Highly recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back