Recommended Puritan Sermons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FivePointSpurgeonist

Puritan Board Freshman
If you could recommend one Puritan’s sermons to focus on reading, who would it be and why?

Also what must read sermons do you recommend from any Puritan?

Check out Still Waters Revival sermon audio page. They have a ton of Puritan sermons recorded. As for the sermons myself, I love Thomas Manton's. He is very clear and understandable, and very rich. Not a 17th century Puritan, but look for some J.C. Ryle sermons as well.

Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God by Edwards is worth the read, for sure.

I thought it was kinda funny that on the booklet I have it says "The most famous sermon ever preached." I guess the sermon on the mount doesn't count? Hahahaha.

But seriously, reading that with my congregation was impactful on them. I believe it motivated them to evangelize.

Also, while not a sermon but rather a book, keeping the heart by John Flavel has been a life-changer for me. It is a whole book on Proverbs 4:23.

For sheer readability, I think Thomas Watson's sermons are at the top of the list. Christopher Love ranks right up there as well, along with Jeremiah Burroughs. Sproul said that Burroughs' 2 books "Gospel Worship" and "Gospel Fear" changed his life.

Check out Still Waters Revival sermon audio page. They have a ton of Puritan sermons recorded. As for the sermons myself, I love Thomas Manton's. He is very clear and understandable, and very rich. Not a 17th century Puritan, but look for some J.C. Ryle sermons as well.

I've only listed to Spurgeon sermons on audio but keen to try out some puritans, some recordings seem harder for me to listen to a whole sermon though, so for me it also depends on who is reading the sermon :) Also I love J. C. Ryle, I'm yet to read a whole sermon of his yet so I'll definitely find some to read.

Impossible narrowing, but here are 3 suggestions: Manton, Sibbes, and Andrew Gray.

1. Manton is imminently accessible, pious, and full of good fodder for meditation. His sermons on Psalm 119 . . . well, just read 'em.
2. Sibbes is called the Sweet Dropper for good reason, masterfully combining pastoral care for the tender conscience, without giving quarter to the formal hypocrite. Whether they be his sermons on Hosea in The Returning Backslider, or Psalm 42/3 on The Soul's Conflict and Victory Over Itself by Faith, you will be encouraged.
3. Mr. Gray is much like Mr. Sibbes, and good for the soul. His sermons Great and Precious Promises are a spiritual boon.

Great response, thanks. I have Sibbes works on Logos, any idea how many are sermons in complete sets like this or Flavel, Charnock etc? I assume there's sermons, treatises etc.

Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God by Edwards is worth the read, for sure.

I thought it was kinda funny that on the booklet I have it says "The most famous sermon ever preached." I guess the sermon on the mount doesn't count? Hahahaha.

But seriously, reading that with my congregation was impactful on them. I believe it motivated them to evangelize.

Also, while not a sermon but rather a book, keeping the heart by John Flavel has been a life-changer for me. It is a whole book on Proverbs 4:23.

I actually read this a few years ago and have a hard copy of it but don't remember much of it. I'll definitely check it out again!
I just checked my shelf and I actually have that Flavel book, I'll put it on my reading list :)

For sheer readability, I think Thomas Watson's sermons are at the top of the list. Christopher Love ranks right up there as well, along with Jeremiah Burroughs. Sproul said that Burroughs' 2 books "Gospel Worship" and "Gospel Fear" changed his life.

Thanks, I just grabbed a couple of books of Watsons sermons on kindle and started reading "How We May Read the Scriptures With Most Spiritual Profit".

I am currently reading his sermons on Psalm 119, highly recommend.

I can get Manton's Works for free on Logos, I'll grab his Psalm 119 sermons next month, definitely a chapter I'm interested in.

I second anything by Burroughs.

I’m currently reading “The Evil of Evils.” Thank you for your work in bringing these Burroughs books and others back into print.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back