Jonathan, as a young guy myself (25) who has sensed a call to ministry from the same age (16), and has received affirmations of that call from several ministers, I do have to agree with most of the men above. Though I will try to answer your question directly, I'll also try to throw in some personal thoughts/experiences since I pretty much went through the same.
At 16, all I wanted to do was go to bible college, become a 'youth pastor', go to seminary, and become a pastor. But my wise mother directed me away from the bible college route, and for good reason. I am thankful that I did not go that route. Very thankful. But I will hold that for later since you didn't ask about that. Up until about three years ago, I too was very interested in going to Reformation Bible College. It has a
great looking curriculum and the faculty is grade A. Everything RC Sproul, Ligonier, and St Andrews puts out is going to be absolutely well done, which is why I was so drawn to the school. Since you asked, below I will list some cons, since I honestly just listed all the pros above. This is what drove me away from the school:
-
Expensive: College in and of itself is expensive. A private 'bible' college like RBC? Even more so. Unless your parents are rich or you have some crazy means of paying for the school, you are going to be in debt for an education that allows you to enter ministry. Go into debt to enter ministry? And only youth ministry for that? No thanks. Spend thousands upon thousands of dollars to read books, listen to lectures, and write papers? I'll pass. Not to mention if you are going to go the pastoral route, now you have to pay big bucks for seminary. The conclusion I came to? Traditional college isn't worth it, unless you are going into one of the jobs that requires it: medicine, law, etc. I have prepaid college AND the GI Bill, and I STILL have chosen not go to this route. It is a waste of money, if you ask me...
-
Vocation: Don't misread me here, I am not hating on
education, or even college as a whole. I am just hating on the idea that someone should spend thousands of dollars for a vocation that doesn't require an expensive traditional college education. So here is my advice for you: You are 16. I don't know if you are in home school or attend a public/private school. Either way, you are in an
amazing position, living under someone else's roof for 'free,' to learn a trade that you can use for the rest of your life. Interested in business? Start a small business. You can do that. Like to teach/write? Start a blog and look around for places to publish your writings. You can do that. Enjoy hands on stuff? Learn how to lay flooring, lawn care, etc. There are
so many young men right now, like myself, who have a calling for ministry. And I am not doubting their calling, but they jump from high school to college to seminary to ministry without learning any trade that can pay their bills. What happens when your church fires you? What happens when they don't pay you well? Is God sovereign? Yes. Will he care for you? Duh. But does that negate your responsibility to learn a trade to feed you and your future family's bellies? Nope. You don't want to be in a position where you feel like you can't teach a convictional truth of Scripture out of fear of losing your job/pay and not being able to do something else. This is what a wise, 60 year old, pastor of 30+ years told me. So use these years under your parents roof to figure out something you can do to make money. If it is something that
requires school, go to it, but do it smartly (CLEP, Community College, etc.). If you don't know what you want to do, don't go to school, pick up a trade that you would be happy doing, get good at it, and get paid for it.
- Accreditation: Want to study theology/ministry stuff? Don't pay a ton of money for a degree that is not accredited and useful for nothing other than an ordination board.
http://www.tnars.net/ will give you the same exact degree for $0 dollars. $0 vs. $10-20k? Go with the $0 and put the $20k towards a house. Be a wise steward of the money and time that God is giving you. Find a pastor you look up to and have him mentor you through the classes. I guarantee you that you will not regret it. I am not against traditional seminary/college - I am very thankful for them. But I am against stupidity. And for me, paying all that money for a piece of paper that you can get for free is.... not the smartest decision.
So those are my thoughts. If you were my son (I am just saying this because we have a very young son so I am thinking through what I would tell him) here is what I would encourage you to do, in brief...
- Start a small business (very small) or learn a trade
now. Get that experience. Start a career
now. You are 16, you are a man, don't wait to start your vocation.
- Find a pastoral mentor to disciple you and to walk with you through a systematic theology, practical ministry, etc. Learn
everything you can from him that you can't learn in a traditional school course.
- When you are done with high school, start taking classes through TNARS. Get a feel for how seminary type classes are, and whether or not it is for you... all for FREE. Discuss those classes with your mentor and elders. Apply them to your life and ministry.
Okay, off my soap box. Hope that helps and is more encouraging than not. Blessings to you and I look forward to seeing where God takes you.
-