Reformation History

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abd_Yesua_alMasih

Puritan Board Junior
As many are aware I am 18 and live among a generation who knows almost nothing of what happened in the news last week, let alone such topics as the reformation and theology. I want to reach out to my friends at university and write a very basic history of the reformation with some theological pointers in there also. (Not too sure of the layout yet). I am aiming for about say 1000 words per major reformer? Maybe anyway. I will see what I need to do to get the tale told.

I want to write in terminology and in the simplicity that students who know nothing of church history can understand. Could you help me create a list of the 'major' reformers who I can write a short chapter about each? Is there anyone here who would not mind reading the odd draft for each chapter? Also it would be good to check historical accuracy for each point.

Sorry if I have rambled a bit. I will update this topic tomorrow but it would be good just to get any of you who understand me thinking. Sorry I am so tired. It was my first day at work and I don´t think I have ever sat in front of a computer talking on a telephone for six hours before... I will get used to it.
 
Although the cast of characters you can draw upon is quite extensive, here's a list of some of my heroes of the early Reformation:

John Calvin
Martin Luther
Ulrich Zwingli
Theodore Beza
John Knox
John Wycliffe
William Tyndale
Heinrich Bullinger
John Huss
William Farel
Martin Bucer
Phillip Melanchthon
Thomas Cramner
Hugh Latimer
Nicholas Ridley
Pierre Viret
Zacharius Ursinus
John Oecolampadius
Clement Marot
John Bradford
John Hooper
Girolamo Savonarola
John Laski
 
You should check out a book called, "Sketches in Church History" by Houghton. It's published by Banner of Truth. It is a very basic church history and spends alot of time on the Reformation. I used it to teach a church history study before and it worked great as an introduction to the topic.
 
Patrick;

I was not aware of this book. Thanks for the tip. It sounds like it might be helpful and may save me from writing such a volume.
 
One of the key advantages of writing something myself is I can print it out, do what ever I want with it (even bind it into book format) and so by doing this I can reasonably cheaply give a copy to all my friends to read either in printed format or online.

The problem with teenagers these days is they simply do not care. They might read something for free that a friend has written but they would not go and buy a book just to educate themselves. I would hope (and of course pray) that I could spark some type of interest in the subject.

I am not sure how effective this will be or not but at least along the way I can educate myself on reformation history - I am after all a history student now after dropping politics. :banana:

Anyway sorry for my earlier post (it was late last night for me). I was trying to keep my eyes open :P - Now it is almost lunch time and I have not even taken a shower. Please pray the writing of this will go well and that everything will go fine.

Fraser
 
I have now written about 2000 words on John Wycliffe, John Huss and Jerome of Prague. I told you it would not be too long (well I hope I said that anyway). I was not going to include Jerome of Prague but he fitted nicely into the story of John Huss and seemed like a good reformer just to place in there.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top